Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Waves That Hit Hawaii's
South Shores Were Historic
Jul 19, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
The Waves That Hit Hawaii's South Shores Were Historic
Strong south swell led to 20-foot waves
- "The highest south shore surf in more than 25 years delivered as predicted," the Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources wrote on Facebook Sunday night. The agency had predicted waves measuring 15 to 20 feet would hit the south shores of each island over the weekend due...
Family of 4 Went to the
Beach. Only One Left It
Jan 6, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Family of 4 Went to the Beach. Only One Left It
2 kids presumed dead after father drowns in sneaker wave
- A California woman went to the beach with her partner and two children on Sunday, but tragically, she was the only one to return home. A sneaker wave struck at Blind Beach near Jenner around 2:30pm, knocking down the couple, their 4-year-old son, and 7-year-old daughter, Monte Rio Fire...
'Sneaker' Wave Sweeps
4-Year-Old Off Beach
Dec 8, 2020 9:55 AM CST
'Sneaker' Wave Sweeps 4-Year-Old Off Beach
Luckily, an anonymous rescuer dove into the waters near Calif.'s Clam Beach to save little Aeris
- In the shock of having witnessed the near-death of her daughter, Sincee George forgot to ask the name of the man who saved her. Now she's reaching out with thanks courtesy of the Lost Coast Outpost , which reports the Nov. 25 rescue came at the scariest moment of George'...
This Year's Biggest Wave
Was Surfed by a Woman
Sep 22, 2020 3:05 PM CDT
This Year's Biggest Wave Was Surfed by a Woman
Maya Gabeira broke her own world record
- On Feb. 11 this year, Maya Gabeira rode a monster wave all the way into the Guinness Book of World Records. Scientists determined that the wave the 33-year-old Brazilian rode off Nazare, Portugal, was 73.5 feet tall—a world record for a woman, and the biggest wave surfed by...
Family's Fishing Trip Shattered
by Deadly Rogue Wave
Jun 26, 2020 7:17 AM CDT
Family's Fishing Trip Shattered by Deadly Rogue Wave
3 members were swept off rocks and into the sea in Southern California
- A family of eight was enjoying an afternoon of fishing on the Southern California coast when three members were swept off rocks and into the sea. All three unidentified victims were pulled from the water before 5pm Thursday but ultimately died, Capt. Brian McGrath of the Ventura County Fire Department...
Major Waves Form on
Great Lakes Ahead of Storm
Feb 27, 2020 6:30 PM CST
Major Waves Form on Great Lakes Ahead of Storm
Northeast is in for heavy snow and winds
- A mass of cold air sent a north wind over the Great Lakes region, causing large waves to form in the lakes and prompting lakeshore flood warnings and wind advisories. Lake Ontario could have 20-foot waves, CNN reports, and similar swells have been spotted in southern Lake Michigan. The waves...
Man Dies on Birthday
After Being Hit by Wave
Apr 4, 2019 7:35 AM CDT
Man Dies on Birthday After Being Hit by Wave
'Sneaker' wave pulled Andrew Machi into the water on California beach
- What was supposed to be a relaxing day fishing on his 39th birthday turned to tragedy for a California man, who died after a rogue wave pulled him into the water. The Humboldt County Sheriff's Office tells KRCR that Andrew Machi was casting lines on March 22 at Luffenholtz...
Couple That Just Moved to
US Swept to Sea by Wave
Sep 12, 2018 8:36 AM CDT
Couple That Just Moved to US Swept to Sea by Wave
Miaochan Chen and Wenjun Zhu's daughter is unharmed
- A 10-year-old girl who moved to Oregon from China with her parents in July now finds herself an orphan following a freak accident along the coast. ABC News reports that Miaochan Chen, 49, and Wenjun Zhu, 41, had a picnic with their daughter on Sunday then walked to some rocks...
In the 'Most Under-Observed'
Ocean, a Mammoth Wave
May 11, 2018 9:23 AM CDT
In the 'Most Under-Observed' Ocean, a Mammoth Wave
78-foot wave recorded Tuesday in Southern Ocean
- The northern hemisphere still has it beat, but the southern hemisphere can now claim a new record when it comes to tallest wave. A solar-powered buoy placed near New Zealand's Campbell Island in the Southern Ocean on Tuesday recorded an eight-story wave that measured 78 feet in height, beating...
San Diego Surf
Turns Electric Blue
May 10, 2018 9:35 AM CDT
San Diego Surf Turns Electric Blue
Dinoflagellates have arrived in droves
- Ocean waves north of San Diego look quite a bit bluer than usual this week. Beginning Monday, a 20-mile stretch of California coastline from Encinitas to La Jolla took on what CNN calls an "electric blue glow" as tiny bioluminescent creatures moved in. Despite sharing his own photos with...
He Planned His
Proposal in the
Came the Wave
Mar 14, 2018 7:15 AM CDT
He Planned His Proposal in the Bahamas. Then Came the Wave
19-year-old Jonathan Brussow tragically killed in freak accident on island of Eleuthera
- "God brought Jonathan in with a storm and took him back in a storm." That's how the family of 19-year-old Jonathan Brussow describe his death earlier this month in the Bahamas, just after he'd asked the family of his girlfriend for permission to marry her. Athena...
2 Women Die While Digging
for Clams Friday Night
Feb 5, 2018 11:05 AM CST
2 Women Die While Digging for Clams Friday Night
Incidents happened along the southwestern Washington state coast
- The two calls were placed to 911 in Pacific County, Wash., within a four-minute period on Friday night. First, at 8:57pm, a call from north of Ocean Park on the Long Beach Peninsula, where a 70-year-old woman who'd been digging for clams with her husband disappeared into the...
Mathematician Wants to Fight
Tsunamis With Sound Waves
Jan 26, 2017 11:17 AM CST
Mathematician Wants to Fight Tsunamis With Sound Waves
His novel approach focuses on reducing the wave's energy
- Tsunamis are among the deadliest forces in nature. Look no further than the one in the Indian Ocean in 2004 that killed more than 230,000 people after being triggered by a powerful earthquake, notes a post at Phys.org . But what if tsunamis could be drained of their power...
Father, Son Missing After
Being Hit by 'Sneaker Wave'
Jan 18, 2017 4:21 PM CST
Father, Son Missing After Being Hit by 'Sneaker Wave'
They were walking along the Oregon coast Sunday
- Charity Woodrum was just an arm's length away when her husband and 3-year-old son were hit by a wave and carried out to sea Sunday on the Oregon Coast, the AP reports. They haven't been found. Officials tell the
the beach where the family was walking...
A Buoy Noticed a
Wave in 2013 That
Dec 14, 2016 9:23 AM CST
A Buoy Noticed a Wave in 2013 That Was 'Remarkable'
Others may have been taller, but this was recorded by the best tool we have
- The world's "highest significant wave height as measured by a buoy" was 62.3 feet, located in the (very) high seas between the UK and Iceland, and occurred in 2013, the World Meteorological Organization has confirmed. The wave formed after a strong cold front passed through the remote...
Giant Waves Is a
Thing of Past
Nov 27, 2016 12:53 PM CST
Surfing Amazon's Giant Waves Is a Thing of Past
Man-made influences are being blamed
- As the sun crosses the Equator during the fall and spring equinoxes in September and March, strong gravitational and lunar pulls trigger tidal bores around the world as the flow of nearby rivers reverses and the water grows turbulent. Along Brazil’s remote Araguari River in the Amazon, this created...
on Freak Wave
Oct 28, 2015 7:29 AM CDT
Whale-Watching Disaster Blamed on Freak Wave
Weather seemed calm, but rogue wave may have doomed Canada's Leviathan II
- Canada's Transportation Safety Board thinks it knows how a whale-watching boat sank on Sunday, leaving five Brits dead and an Australian missing: a surprise wave, the
reports. A survivor told one of the rescuers there was "this real big wave coming—bigger than the rest of the...
Man Posing for Photos
Along Lake Michigan Drowns
Sep 21, 2015 7:22 AM CDT
Man Posing for Photos Along Lake Michigan Drowns
Earl Helmuth, an Amish man, did not know how to swim
- On Saturday night a 24-year-old Indiana man posed for photos alongside the woman he was due to marry; it was the last thing the two would do together. Earl Helmuth was swept off a lighthouse pier in Michigan City, Ind., by a wave thought to be at least 7 feet...
Epic Surf Wows California
Aug 28, 2014 4:11 AM CDT
Epic Surf Wows California
Hurricane Marie's waves pound coast
- Southern California is seeing the kind of epic surf usually associated with Hawaii or Tahiti. Beaches are thronged with wave riders, and crowds are coming to watch the action even as seaside communities try to stave off damage from the ocean onslaught. A third day of waves spawned by the...
May Hit California
Aug 26, 2014 1:58 AM CDT
25-Foot Waves May Hit California
But Hurricane Marie not expected to hit land
- A massive hurricane is moving north from Mexico's coast, and while it's not expected to hit land in the US, Southern California can expect some huge and possibly dangerous waves starting today and peaking tomorrow, authorities say. Hurricane Marie is weakening slightly, but some surf spots could see...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.