Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Crystal Cathedral Ministries
Dead at 88
Apr 2, 2015 10:44 AM CDT
Crystal Cathedral Megachurch Founder Dead at 88
Robert Schuller's influence had faded in recent years
- The Rev. Robert H. Schuller, the Southern California televangelist and author who beamed his upbeat messages on faith and redemption to millions from his landmark Crystal Cathedral only to see his empire crumble in his waning years, has died. He was 88. Schuller died early today at a care facility...
Reverend to Ministry:
You Owe Me Millions
Nov 2, 2012 2:51 PM CDT
Reverend to Ministry: You Owe Me Millions
Rev. Robert Schuller gets his day in bankruptcy court
- Rev. Robert Schuller's old ministry may be bankrupt, but he says they still owe him millions—and he's fighting for every cent. The once-powerful preacher showed up smiling in a crisp black suit today on the first day of the Crystal Cathedral Ministries' bankruptcy trial, the
Out at Crystal
Mar 12, 2012 1:30 AM CDT
Founding Family Out at Crystal Cathedral
Robert Schuller, kin off the megachurch board
- The problem-plagued evangelical Crystal Cathedral has finally cut all ties with its once-powerful founding family. The daughter of church patriarch Robert Schuller, the Rev. Sheila Schuller Coleman, announced yesterday that it was her last sermon at the mammoth church that has slid into financial ruin. The Schullers will also no...
Win Bid to Buy
Nov 18, 2011 8:49 AM CST
Catholics Win Bid to Buy Crystal Cathedral
Bankruptcy judge, cathedral board choose diocese over Chapman University
- The Catholics won this round: A bankruptcy judge ruled yesterday that Crystal Cathedral will be sold to Orange County’s Roman Catholic Diocese for $57.5 million, meaning the iconic Protestant building will likely become a Catholic one soon. Chapman University was competing with the diocese to buy the property,...
$57.5M to Buy
Nov 15, 2011 1:00 AM CST
Catholics Bid $57.5M to Buy Crystal Cathedral
But Chapman University also wants the site for a satellite campus
- The Catholic Diocese of Orange County has boosted its bid for the bankrupt Crystal Cathedral to $57.5 million, and hopes to make the gleaming 3,000-seat church its own county-wide cathedral. The other key bidder locked in a battle for the site is Chapman University, which hopes to use...
Oct 10, 2011 9:15 AM CDT
Creditors Sue Crystal Cathedral's Founding Family
Family scored big salaries despite church's financial woes: suit
- The Crystal Cathedral creditors' committee is suing the church's founding family for allegedly borrowing endowment money and raking in healthy salaries—all while the church was in dire financial straits. The lawsuit says that family members of founder Robert H. Schuller borrowed some $10 million from an endowment fund...
Cathedral Aims for
$50M in Donations
Aug 2, 2011 3:28 PM CDT
Bankrupt Crystal Cathedral Aims for $50M in Donations
Schuller church hopes 'faith-based' tactic prevents sale of campus
- Seeking to fight its way back from bankruptcy , Crystal Cathedral’s board is trying a new, “faith-generated” approach: It hopes to raise $50 million in donations, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. Meanwhile, the creditors committee at the church founded by Robert Schuller will continue its effort to sell the...
Board: We Didn't
Jul 5, 2011 8:12 AM CDT
Crystal Cathedral Board: We Didn't Oust Founder
Board denies report from Robert Schuller's son
- Contrary to yesterday's report , Rev. Robert H. Schuller, founder of California's Crystal Cathedral, "was not voted off the board," a church spokesperson says. Rather, the board voted to change Schuller's position "from that of a voting board member to the honorary Chairman of the...
Jul 4, 2011 10:50 AM CDT
Crystal Cathedral Boots Founder
Robert Schuller ousted over disagreement with board: son
- As its finances spiral, the board of the bankrupt Crystal Cathedral has ousted the megachurch’s founder. Robert H. Schuller had “wanted to add board members,” but the board “didn't want that because they would lose control,” said his son. “They kicked him off...
Will Be Sold to
May 27, 2011 4:00 AM CDT
Crystal Cathedral Will Be Sold to Pay Debts
Megachurch forced to offload California landmark
- Crystal Cathedral Ministries has found a way out of bankruptcy: Selling its giant crystal cathedral. The megachurch's landmark 10,000-glass-pane building in Orange County will be sold along with other buildings on the church's campus to pay off the $50 million owed to vendors and creditors, the
Mar 17, 2011 5:20 AM CDT
Row Erupts Over Crystal Cathedral Sex Pact
Choir must recognize that 'God intends sex between married heteros'
- California megachurch Crystal Cathedral Ministries is in hot water again—this time for requiring choir members to sign a "sex covenant." It seems that "God intends" sex to occur only between married heterosexuals, and members were ordered to sign a statement acknowledging that. The covenant is meant...
Bankrupt Crystal Cathedral Paid CFO $132K Home Fee
Nov 18, 2010 3:18 AM CST
Bankrupt Crystal Cathedral Paid CFO $132K Home Fee
Fred Southard dodged taxes with housing 'allowance'
- A US trustee and a creditors committee are challenging Crystal Cathedral's spending habits—including a six-figure housing allowance for the church CFO, who owns a $2.3 million home, as well as mystery payments to officials, according to documents filed with the court. Last year, the megachurch paid Fred Southard...
Oct 19, 2010 1:37 AM CDT
Crystal Cathedral Megachurch Bankrupt
Chapter 11 is all part of God's plan, pastor says
- California megachurch Crystal Cathedral Ministries has filed for bankruptcy protection amid a flood of lawsuits from unpaid creditors and a steep drop in donations. Officials of the Orange County church, best known for its
Hour of Power
telecast, say the filing was necessary because creditors refuse to prolong a moratorium...
Popular on Newser
Palin Tests Positive for COVID, NYT Trial Delayed
After Another Attack, a New Subway Warning
A Game for the Ages Sparks Call for Rule Change
Bataclan Survivor 'Shocked' to Find Out What Her Surgeon Did
Virginia's New Republican Governor Making Waves
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.