Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Julian Assange extradition
Stories 1 - 20 |
News Outlets Ask US
to Drop Assange Charges
Nov 28, 2022 12:46 PM CST
News Outlets Ask US to Drop Assange Charges
Open letter from 'NYT,' others says prosecution 'sets a dangerous precedent' on free speech
- Five major news organizations have issued a joint open letter calling on the United States to drop charges against Julian Assange for publishing a massive trove of classified documents, saying the prosecution “sets a dangerous precedent and threatens to undermine America’s First Amendment and the freedom of the...
Looks Like Assange
May Soon Be
Headed to US
Jun 17, 2022 7:33 AM CDT
Looks Like Assange May Soon Be Headed to US
UK home secretary gives the OK to extradite WikiLeaks founder; he has 14 days to appeal
- The final step in approving Julian Assange's extradition from the UK to the United States to face espionage charges has been taken. In April, a British judge gave the green light to move the WikiLeaks founder overseas, and on Friday, Priti Patel, Britain's home secretary, gave her OK...
British Judge Gives Formal
Approval to Assange Extradition
Apr 20, 2022 10:09 AM CDT
British Judge Gives Formal Approval to Assange Extradition
But there's still one more step
- A British judge on Wednesday formally approved the extradition of Julian Assange to the United States to face spying charges. The case will now go to Britain’s interior minister for a decision, though the WikiLeaks founder still has legal avenues of appeal, reports the AP . The order, which brings...
Julian Assange Has Big
Setback in Extradition Fight
Mar 14, 2022 2:54 PM CDT
Julian Assange Has Big Setback in Extradition Fight
Britain's Supreme Court refuses to hear appeal
: In a huge blow to Julian Assange's hopes of avoiding extradition to the US, Britain's top court has refused to hear his appeal. The British Supreme Court said the WikiLeaks founder's appeal of the December decision allowing extradition "did not raise an arguable point of...
US Wins Its Appeal to
Extradite Julian Assange
Dec 10, 2021 5:41 AM CST
US Wins Its Appeal to Extradite Julian Assange
The extradition request now passes to the home secretary
- "The court allows the appeal," wrote a UK judge in granting the United States' request to extradite Julian Assange. The US was appealing a Jan. 4 ruling that denied the extradition request on the basis of Assange's mental health concerns, with the judge in that case saying...
US Agrees to Let Assange
Do Time in Australia
Oct 27, 2021 6:14 PM CDT
US Agrees to Let Assange Do Time in Australia
British court hears assurances about WikiLeaks founder's possible imprisonment
- The US has tweaked its position on the potential imprisonment of Julian Assange in an effort to get a British court to allow his extradition. If he's convicted in the US, the WikiLeaks founder will be allowed to serve his sentence in an Australian prison, ABC Australia reports. The...
No Supermax for Assange, US
Promises in Extradition Appeal
Jul 7, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
No Supermax for Assange, US Promises in Extradition Appeal
British court agrees to reconsider American case
- In an effort to win the extradition of Julian Assange, the US has told Britain the WikiLeaks founder would not be sent to the Supermax prison in Colorado if convicted. Along with others, the assurance was part of an appeal of a ruling by a British judge in January blocking...
One Country Is Prepared
to Offer Assange Asylum
Jan 4, 2021 2:40 PM CST
One Country Is Prepared to Offer Assange Asylum
That would be Mexico, according to President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador
- Julian Assange won't be extradited to America, but he could be North America-bound. Reuters reports that in the wake of a British judge's rejection of a US request to extradite the WikiLeaks founder, Mexico announced it is ready to welcome Assange. "I’m going to ask the...
Lawyer Says She
Witnessed Trump Offer
to Pardon Assange
Sep 18, 2020 2:20 PM CDT
Lawyer Says She Witnessed Trump Offer to Pardon Assange
Jennifer Robinson tells court GOP congressman Rohrabacher proposed the deal
- A London court has been told in detail that President Trump offered Julian Assange a deal for a pardon through a Republican congressman. Jennifer Robinson, Assange's lawyer, provided a witness statement in which she said she was there when Dana Rohrabacher, a Republican House member at the time, presented...
Assange Outburst Leads to
'Clear Warning' From Judge
Sep 8, 2020 9:45 AM CDT
Assange Outburst Leads to 'Clear Warning' From Judge
WikiLeaks founder on thin ice after shouting during witness testimony in London courtroom
- A judge threatened to have Julian Assange thrown from the London courtroom where he's fighting extradition to the US from Britain on Tuesday after he shouted from the dock during witness testimony. "If you interrupt proceedings and disrupt a witness who is properly giving their evidence, it is...
Assange, in Court,
Loses Bid for Delay
Sep 7, 2020 10:55 AM CDT
Assange, in Court, Loses Bid for Delay
Lawyers argued they didn't have time to prepare for broadened US case
- A British judge on Monday rejected a request by lawyers for WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to delay his extradition hearing until next year to give his lawyers more time to respond to US allegations that he conspired with hackers to obtain classified information, per the AP . The adjournment request came...
Assange Lawyer: They Stripped
Him Twice on Day One
Feb 25, 2020 1:23 PM CST
Assange Lawyer: They Stripped Him Twice on Day One
Attorney says client is being mistreated as extradition hearing continues
- A lawyer for Julian Assange complained Tuesday that the WikiLeaks founder was handcuffed 11 times, stripped naked twice, and had court papers taken away on the first day of a hearing on his extradition to the United States, per the AP . Attorney Edward Fitzgerald told a judge that the treatment...
US at Assange Hearing: He's
a Criminal, Not a Journalist
Feb 24, 2020 6:33 AM CST
US at Assange Hearing: He's a Criminal, Not a Journalist
Extradition hearing is underway in Britain
- The question of whether Julian Assange will have to face criminal charges in the US that could leave him imprisoned for life is now being debated in a British court. Opening arguments in Assange's extradition hearing in London have begun, with the US laying out its case, reports the...
Good News for
Nov 19, 2019 8:49 AM CST
Finally Some Good News for Julian Assange
Rape case in Sweden is dropped
- Prosecutors in Sweden are no longer pursuing a rape case against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, whose 50-week sentence in a British prison came as a result of the allegation. The decision to drop the case came after seven witnesses were interviewed, reports the BBC . Though it described the alleged victim...
Oct 21, 2019 12:22 PM CDT
Assange Seems 'Confused' at Hearing
Judge denies request to push back his trial
- Julian Assange appeared, in Reuters ' words, "confused" Monday during an extradition hearing in a London courtroom. The 48-year-old WikiLeaks founder "mumbled and stuttered for several seconds as he gave his name and date of birth," the news outlet says; later, when the judge asked him whether...
Assange Extradition Hearing
Is Slated for 2020
Jun 14, 2019 11:27 AM CDT
Assange Extradition Hearing Is Slated for 2020
It's expected to last 5 days, beginning Feb. 25
- Anyone placing bets on whether Julian Assange will be extradited to the US won't see a windfall or have to pay up until 2020. On Friday it was decided in Westminster Magistrates' Court that a full extradition hearing would take place beginning Feb. 25, 2020. The BBC reports it...
WikiLeaks: US Is Seizing
May 20, 2019 1:37 AM CDT
WikiLeaks: US Is Seizing Assange's Possessions
Group says prosecutors are violating international law
- WikiLeaks says American prosecutors are going to be "helping themselves" to the possessions Julian Assange left behind when he was kicked out of Ecuador's London embassy. The group says Ecuador will allow the Americans, who are seeking to extradite Assange, to confiscate items including legal documents and electronic...
More Legal Trouble
for Julian Assange
May 13, 2019 5:53 AM CDT
More Legal Trouble for Julian Assange
Sweden reopens rape investigation
- Sweden has reopened the Julian Assange rape investigation, raising the possibility of a legal tug-of-war between Stockholm and Washington over the WikiLeaks founder. Eva-Marie Persson, Sweden's deputy director of public prosecutions, said Monday that she had decided to reopen the investigation because "there is still probable cause to...
Old Case May Return
to Haunt Assange
Apr 12, 2019 12:18 PM CDT
Old Case May Return to Haunt Assange
Sexual assault charges in Sweden could be revived against WikiLeaks founder
- There may be more than one country looking to extradite Julian Assange now that he's in police custody . The US is already vying to get the WikiLeaks founder on its soil on hacking charges , but Sweden may also soon be in the mix if an investigation into a rape...
Friend: Assange Thought
Trump Aides Were 'Clowns'
Apr 12, 2019 6:22 AM CDT
Friend: Assange Thought Trump Aides Were 'Clowns'
Extradition fight could last years
- Julian Assange has traded Ecuador's London embassy for a British jail cell , and friend Sean Langan says the WikiLeaks co-founder is very worried about where he might end up next. Langan, a documentary filmmaker, tells ABC that on one of his many visits to the embassy, Assange expressed fears...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
These Were Hollywood's Worst Moves
CDC Solves Mystery of Norovirus on Hiking Trail
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.