Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Glenn Close: 'First of All,
I Am Not a Loser'
May 7, 2021 2:14 PM CDT
Glenn Close: 'First of All, I Am Not a Loser'
Actor shrugs off being nominated for 8 Oscars without a win
- Though Glenn Close has been nominated for eight Oscars without any wins, the distinguished actor wants to make one thing clear: she is not a loser. Close has been nominated for best actress four times, and she competed for her fourth best supporting actress honor at last month's Academy...
Bestselling Book Makes for an
'Almost Laughably Bad' Movie
Nov 13, 2020 11:17 AM CST
Bestselling Book Makes for an 'Almost Laughably Bad' Movie
Critics pan Ron Howard's 'Hillbilly Elegy' as out of touch
, the bestselling memoir from JD Vance about the struggles of poor white communities, was heralded as a must-read for understanding the political divide in America upon its release in 2016.
, the new movie adaptation from Netflix, written by
The Shape of Water
's Vanessa Taylor and...
This May Be an
Awards Show First
Feb 24, 2019 5:30 AM CST
This May Be an Awards Show First
Glenn Close wins, brings dog 'Pip' onstage at the Independent Spirit Awards
- If Glenn Close wins an Oscar on Sunday night, it's unlikely her appearance at the podium will be as unusual as it was Saturday night at the Independent Spirit Awards. That's because she was accompanied by her dog Pip, who at one point rolled onto his back and...
Top Honor at SAG Awards
Jan 28, 2019 12:24 AM CST
Takes Top Honor at SAG Awards
Glenn Close, Rami Malek won lead acting categories
took the top award at Sunday's 25th Screen Actors Guild Awards, giving Ryan Coogler's superhero sensation its most significant awards-season honor yet and potentially setting up Wakanda for a major role at next month's Academy Awards. The two leading Oscar nominees—
Glenn Close Now Has an
Unwanted Oscar Streak
Jan 22, 2019 1:28 PM CST
Glenn Close Now Has an Unwanted Oscar Streak
No living actor has more nominations without a win; she's at 7
- Seventh time's the charm? Glenn Close might hope so following an Oscar nod Tuesday for her role in
. It brings Close's total to seven nominations, the most of any living actor who hasn't actually won an Oscar, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. The 71-year-old—who...
Awards Just Made
Oscars Race Interesting
Jan 14, 2019 4:11 AM CST
Critics' Choice Awards Just Made Oscars Race Interesting
Glenn Close, Lady Gaga tie for best actress; Alfonso Cuaron's 'Roma' wins best picture
is the top winner at the Critics' Choice Awards, winning best picture, as well as best foreign language film and a pair of individual honors for director Alfonso Cuaron. The 24th annual ceremony, held Sunday at Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, Calif., also split the top actress award between...
Glenn Close's Marriage
Over After 9 Years
Sep 24, 2015 6:48 PM CDT
Glenn Close's Marriage Over After 9 Years
Her split with her entrepreneur husband was reportedly amicable
- Actress Glenn Close divorced her entrepreneur husband, David Shaw, after nine years of marriage. The
Portland Press Herald
reports that divorce filings in Maine's Cumberland County cite "irreconcilable marital difference" as the reason for the split, which became official Aug. 18. A spokesperson for Close described the divorce...
Feb 27, 2011 7:29 AM CST
10 Shocking Oscar-less Actors
Really, no love for Cary Grant?
- You'd think legendary actor Cary Grant would have won at least one Oscar, right? Wrong: Though he was nominated twice, Grant never took home the prize. Gear up for Oscar night with The Stir's list of 10 actors who, surprisingly, never won an Oscar:
: She has, however, "
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Defiant Trump Arrives for Trial: Americans Won't 'Stand for It'
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.