Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Drug Dog Collapses,
Dies After Prison Search
Jul 23, 2019 2:17 AM CDT
Drug Dog Collapses, Dies After Prison Search
Officials believe reaction to synthetic pot killed Jake
- An Alabama Department of Corrections drug-sniffing dog was carrying out a contraband search at a prison last week when he sniffed out something that killed him. Authorities say Jake, a 4-year-old Belgian Malinois, collapsed after detecting the substance during a contraband search Thursday at the Staton Correctional Facility, the
Blacked-Out Part of Report
on Aaron Hernandez Revealed
Oct 30, 2018 1:27 PM CDT
Blacked-Out Part of Report on Aaron Hernandez Revealed
Inmate alleges former NFL star was smoking K2 prior to his suicide
- In the wake of Aaron Hernandez's April 19, 2017, death, a 132-page report was made public. One redacted part of that report has now been seen by the
, and it's raising some big questions. The portion covers an interview with an inmate who said the former...
In Just 3 Hours, 25 People
Overdosed at Connecticut Park
Aug 15, 2018 5:58 PM CDT
In Just 3 Hours, 25 People Overdosed at Connecticut Park
K2 synethetic pot suspected; an arrest has been made
- Synthetic weed known as K2 may be to blame for a spate of overdoses in New Haven, Conn. At least 41 people reportedly overdosed at or near New Haven Green, a local park, between Tuesday and Wednesday, with some 25 overdoses occurring over a period of three hours Wednesday, CBS...
Another Synthetic Pot
User Dead in Illinois
Apr 25, 2018 7:24 PM CDT
Another Synthetic Pot User Dead in Illinois
More than 150 people have gotten sick after using tainted synthetic cannabinoids
- Another person in Illinois has died after using synthetic marijuana, reports the
. The central Illinois woman, who was in her 30s, is the fourth person to die in the state after apparent use of the tainted substance. She's the third central Illinois victim; the fourth was from...
Feds: Fake Pot Tainted With
Rat Poison Found in 5 States
Apr 11, 2018 1:03 AM CDT
Feds: Fake Pot Tainted With Rat Poison Found in 5 States
Outbreak has killed at least 3, sickened 116
- Fake marijuana likely contaminated with rat poison has now killed three people in Illinois and caused severe bleeding in more than 100 others, including a few in four other states. The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has alerted doctors nationwide that patients with severe, unexplained bleeding may be...
2 Synthetic Pot Users Dead
After Severe Bleeding Reports
Apr 2, 2018 7:00 PM CDT
2 Synthetic Pot Users Dead After Severe Bleeding Reports
54 other cases of severe bleeding have been tied to fake weed in Illinois
- Two people have now been reported dead among dozens of cases of synthetic marijuana users who've turned up at Illinois hospitals in recent weeks complaining of severe bleeding. Per CNN , the more than 50 cases all involve hospitalizations in and around Chicago, where complaints have ranged from bloody noses...
Synthetic Pot Users in Chicago
Bleeding From Eyes, Gums
Mar 30, 2018 3:06 PM CDT
Synthetic Pot Users in Chicago Bleeding From Eyes, Gums
Officials are looking for source
- Synthetic pot is causing a bloody mess in the Chicago area. "What we are seeing is people are coming in with various types of bleeding,” CBS Chicago quotes the chief medical officer of the Illinois Department of Public Health as saying. “Whether it’s nose bleeds, bleeding...
Study Finds World's
Safest Recreational Drug
May 24, 2017 7:07 AM CDT
Study Finds World's Safest Recreational Drug
Magic mushrooms resulted in fewest emergency room visits in 2016
- A massive drug survey has labeled hallucinogenic mushrooms as the safest recreational drug in the world—though ensuring you're consuming a psychedelic variety of fungi, rather than some poisonous version, is rather important. This year's Global Drug Survey , with 120,000 participants in 50 countries, found that 0....
Report: Hernandez Died With
Bible Verse on Forehead
Apr 20, 2017 6:18 AM CDT
Report: Hernandez Died With Bible Verse on Forehead
He may have smoked synthetic marijuana before death
- Aaron Hernandez had a Bible verse scrawled on his forehead when he was found hanged in his prison cell early Wednesday, sources tell WBZ . The sources say the former NFL star had the words "John 3:16" on his forehead, along with red marks on his hands and feet....
33 Sickened in
NYC Mass Overdose
Jul 13, 2016 12:38 AM CDT
33 Sickened in NYC Mass Overdose
Authorities issue fresh warning on synthetic pot
- More than two dozen people were sickened in an apparent mass drug overdose on a New York City street corner, sparking warnings from police and health officials about the dangers of using K2, also known as synthetic marijuana. Calls started coming in Tuesday morning that numerous people appeared to be...
Synthetic Pot Blamed
for Toddler's Death
Jun 18, 2016 7:55 AM CDT
Synthetic Pot Blamed for Toddler's Death
Charges are possible in tragic Indiana case
- Synthetic marijuana was at least partly responsible for the tragic death of a toddler in Indiana last month, according to a coroner's report. The report states that the death of 20-month-old Kaylei Carter involved "streptococcal sepsis with contributing synthetic cannibinoids," which were found in her system, reports...
He Took One Puff
of Synthetic Pot.
It Killed Him
May 9, 2016 12:44 PM CDT
He Took One Puff of Synthetic Pot. It Killed Him
8K poisonings reported in US in 2015
- It may be called fake weed, but Spice differs from the real stuff in at least two notable ways: Customary urine drug tests can't detect it, which the
reports is leading more Americans to turn to it for an "undetectable" high—and that high can kill. Some...
'Most Dangerous' Drug
Is Poisoning More
Apr 24, 2015 10:11 AM CDT
'Most Dangerous' Drug Is Poisoning More Americans
Poison control centers fielded 1,008 calls about Spice in the first 22 days of April
- "American Association of Poison Control Centers Issues Warning About Reemerging Synthetic Drugs." That's the title of a strongly worded press release issued yesterday about "Spice" following an upsurge in hospital visits and calls to state poison control centers due to the drug. Those centers received 1,...
Synthetic Pot Sickened
Hundreds in Colorado
Dec 13, 2013 12:10 AM CST
Synthetic Pot Sickened Hundreds in Colorado
CDC finds at least 221 cases
- Fake pot—which, unlike real pot, is illegal in Colorado—sickened at least 221 people in the state during an outbreak earlier this year, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report finds. The probe found two previously unknown strains of synthetic marijuana—dried plant material sprayed with chemicals—on...
Pot Last Year
Dec 4, 2012 5:14 AM CST
11K Hospitalized Over Artificial Pot Last Year
Third of ER visits from 12- to 17-year-olds: federal report
- Nearly 11,500 people were hospitalized last year after taking synthetic drugs meant to imitate marijuana, a new federal report finds. A third of those sent to the ER were kids ages 12 to 17, while 35% were 18- to 24-year-olds. Some 59% of the cases among those aged 12...
Feds Bust 90 in
Fake Pot, Bath
Jul 26, 2012 6:21 PM CDT
Feds Bust 90 in Fake Pot, Bath Salt Raids
Almost 5 million packets of synthetic pot seized in nationwide crackdown
- Federal agents arrested more than 90 people across 30 states today, in a nationwide crackdown on designer drugs. The DEA seized nearly 5 million packets of artificial pot and almost 167,000 packages of "bath salts," CNN reports. They also confiscated $36 million. "This enforcement action has...
Dec 31, 2011 9:11 AM CST
Military's New Worry: Synthetic Pot
Pentagon sees a huge spike among service members
- More and more American soldiers are using synthetic marijuana, specifically an herbal concoction called "Spice" that is both potent and easy to get, reports AP . The Pentagon put into place a rigorous testing program this year that flagged more than 1,000 troops. One stat shows the spike: Two...
on 'Fake Pot'
AFTER DECRIMINALIZING POT
Jun 8, 2011 1:35 PM CDT
Connecticut Cracks Down on 'Fake Pot'
Twin bills cause confusion
- Connecticut might've decriminalized marijuana, but it's going to criminalize fake pot: A bill passed this week would classify synthetic marijuana and the herb Salvia diviorum as a controlled substance that is illegal to possess. Synthetic products could be legally sold in stores until the federal government reclassified...
Hot at the Naval Academy:
Feb 28, 2011 4:34 PM CST
Hot at the Naval Academy: Synthetic Pot
Drug tests don't detect it, say current, ex-midshipmen
- So-called synthetic marijuana is widely smoked at the US Naval Academy, say some midshipmen who were kicked out of the Academy for using it. The drug appeared on the campus last year and quickly grew in popularity due to the fact that it cannot be detected in routine urine tests,...
Popular on Newser
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Western New York Jolted Awake: 'Felt Like a Car Hit My House
Chris Brown Didn't Take His Grammy Loss Well
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.