Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Woman Dies
Nov 7, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Poland Instructs Obstetricians After Woman Dies
Officials act after widespread protests of new abortion restriction
: One day after nationwide protests over a new restriction in Poland's abortion law, health officials have told doctors they may legally end a pregnancy when the life or health of the mother is in danger. The Health Ministry made the announcement in the form of instructions to obstetricians,...
Appeals Court Sides With
Texas on Abortion Yet Again
Oct 15, 2021 12:30 AM CDT
Appeals Court Sides With Texas on Abortion Yet Again
Ruling pushes the Texas law closer to returning to the Supreme Court
- Texas can continue banning most abortions after a federal appeals court on Thursday rejected the Biden administration’s latest attempt to undo a novel law that has become the nation’s biggest curb to abortion in nearly 50 years. It pushes the Texas law closer to returning to the Supreme...
Clinics Turn Patients Away
After Brief Gap on Abortion Ban
Oct 9, 2021 4:15 PM CDT
Clinics Turn Patients Away After Brief Gap on Abortion Ban
Biden administration hasn't said anything about a next step
- Texas clinics on Saturday canceled appointments booked during a 48-hour reprieve from the most restrictive abortion law in the US, which was back in effect as weary providers again focus their hopes on the Supreme Court. The Biden administration, which sued Texas over the law, has yet to say whether...
Takes Issue With
the 'Sinister' Term
Oct 1, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Justice Alito Takes Issue With the 'Sinister' Term 'Shadow Docket'
Justice blasts 'shadow docket' criticism in speech at Notre Dame
- Justice Samuel Alito on Thursday lashed out at the suggestion that there's "something sneaky and dangerous" about the Supreme Court's emergency docket, through which it allowed Texas' restrictive abortion law to take effect . In a speech at the University of Notre Dame days before the start of...
Game Studio CEO
Steps Down After
Praising Texas Law
Sep 7, 2021 2:22 PM CDT
Game Studio CEO Steps Down After Praising Texas Law
Tripwire Interactive faced huge backlash after tweet from John Gibson
- Gaming studio Tripwire Interactive announced Monday night that John Gibson had stepped down as CEO—two days after he expressed support for the new Texas abortion law. Gibson and Tripwire faced a major backlash after Gibson tweeted that he was "proud" of the Supreme Court for affirming the law,...
Ruling Shields Texas Clinics
From Abortion Suits, for Now
Sep 4, 2021 5:45 AM CDT
Ruling Shields Texas Clinics From Abortion Suits, for Now
Judge handed down temporary restraining order Friday
- A state judge has shielded, for now, Texas abortion clinics from lawsuits by an anti-abortion group under a new state abortion law in a narrow ruling handed down Friday. Per the AP , the temporary restraining order Friday by state District Judge Maya Guerra Gamble in Austin in response to the...
5th Circuit Charts Its
Own, Dangerous Course
Sep 1, 2021 7:30 PM CDT
5th Circuit Charts Its Own, Dangerous Course
Letting Texas abortion law take effect without a hearing is just one example, Ruth Marcus writes
- There's a federal appeals court compiling a record like no other, Ruth Marcus writes in an opinion piece in the
. The 5th Circuit's refusal to hold up the nation's most restrictive abortion law long enough for a district judge to hold a hearing on it...
Appeals Court Rules on
Texas Ban of Abortion Method
Aug 19, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Appeals Court Rules on Texas Ban of Abortion Method
Judges uphold law barring procedure commonly used to end 2nd-trimester pregnancies
- A Texas law outlawing an abortion method commonly used to end second-trimester pregnancies was upheld Wednesday by a federal appeals court in New Orleans. The 2017 law in question has never been enforced. It seeks to prohibit the use of forceps to remove a fetus from the womb—what supporters...
Groups Try to Block Texas Law
Allowing Citizen Abortion Suits
Jul 13, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Groups Try to Block Texas Law Allowing Citizen Abortion Suits
Planned Parenthood, ACLU call legislation unconstitutional, intimidation tool
- A new Texas law inviting citizens to file lawsuits against anyone who helps a woman obtain an abortion has been challenged in federal court. Several advocacy groups, including Planned Parenthood and the American Civil Liberties Union, filed a lawsuit Tuesday in Austin against the law , which is scheduled to take...
New Case Could Pose
Threat to Roe v. Wade
May 17, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
New Case Could Pose Threat to Roe v. Wade
Supreme Court will tackle Mississippi law that would ban abortions after 15 weeks
- The Supreme Court caused people on both sides of the abortion debate to take notice on Monday—the justices decided to hear a case later this year that is seen as a major challenge to Roe v. Wade. The details:
Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization is
Has Specific Purpose
Mar 10, 2021 12:39 AM CST
Arkansas' New Anti-Abortion Law Has Specific Purpose
To take down Roe v. Wade
- Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson on Tuesday signed into law legislation banning nearly all abortions in the state, a sweeping measure that supporters hope will force the US Supreme Court to revisit its landmark Roe v. Wade decision but opponents vow to block before it takes effect later this year. The...
Supreme Court Lets
Kentucky Abortion Law Stand
Dec 9, 2019 11:40 AM CST
Supreme Court Lets Kentucky Abortion Law Stand
Justices reject challenge to rule requiring women be shown fetal images and have ultrasounds
- The Supreme Court on Monday left in place a Kentucky law requiring doctors to perform ultrasounds and show fetal images to patients before abortions, per the AP . The justices did not comment in refusing to review an appeals court ruling that upheld the law. The American Civil Liberties Union had...
Supreme Court Takes
Big Abortion Case
Oct 4, 2019 10:37 AM CDT
Supreme Court Takes Big Abortion Case
SCOTUS to consider law that could leave Louisiana with one abortion clinic
- The Supreme Court will weigh in on abortion—specifically, a law that opponents say would effectively limit Louisiana to one abortion provider. The court said Friday that it would take up the law signed in 2014 requiring doctors who perform abortions to have admitting privileges at a hospital within 30...
Going Out of State
Sep 8, 2019 12:35 PM CDT
New Laws, Fewer Clinics Have Women Going Out of State for Abortions
Missouri women account for half the procedures in Kansas
- Thousands of women have crossed state lines for an abortion in recent years as states have passed ever-stricter laws and the number of clinics has declined. Although abortion opponents say the laws are intended to reduce abortions and not send people to other states, at least 276,000 women terminated...
Judge Blocks 3 New
Arkansas Abortion Laws
Jul 24, 2019 4:15 AM CDT
Judge Blocks 3 New Arkansas Abortion Laws
Temporary measure grants 14-day temporary restraining order
- A federal judge blocked three new abortion restrictions from taking effect Wednesday in Arkansas, including a measure that opponents say would likely force the state's only surgical abortion clinic to close. US District Judge Kristine Baker granted a 14-day temporary restraining order shortly before midnight Tuesday, the AP reports....
Democratic Governor Signs
Louisiana Abortion Legislation
May 30, 2019 5:46 PM CDT
Democratic Governor Signs Louisiana Abortion Legislation
- Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards, a Democrat, signed the state's new legislation restricting abortion into law Thursday. The measure prohibits abortion when a fetal heartbeat is detected, as early as six weeks of pregnancy, and allows no exceptions, per the AP . The state's three clinics that perform abortions...
Disney CEO on Filming in Ga.:
'Don't See How It's Practical'
May 30, 2019 7:23 AM CDT
Disney CEO on Filming in Ga.: 'Don't See How It's Practical'
Bob Iger says it will be 'very difficult' to do production there if abortion law goes into effect
- First Netflix said it may "rethink" filming in Georgia over a strict new abortion law . Now another big entertainment company is expressing similar doubts. Reuters reports that on Wednesday, Disney CEO Bob Iger noted his company filming in the Peach State could be up in the air if the...
May 28, 2019 3:45 PM CDT
Georgia's Abortion Legislation Could Drive Netflix Out
If measure takes effect, company to 'rethink' its presence in state
- Netflix says filming in Georgia will go on, but if the state's new legislation imposing new restrictions on abortions takes effect, that could change . "We have many women working on productions in Georgia, whose rights, along with millions of others, will be severely restricted by this law,"...
May 24, 2019 11:56 AM CDT
Another State Puts Strict Abortion Law in Place
Missouri Gov. Mike Parson signs 8-week law, with no exceptions for rape or incest
- Add Missouri to the list of states with strict new laws on abortion. Gov. Mike Parson on Friday signed a measure banning the procedure after eight weeks, with no exceptions for rape or incest, reports the Hill . As with laws in other states, including Alabama and Georgia , legal challenges await....
Georgia Just Lost 2 Big
Productions Over Abortion Law
May 22, 2019 6:21 AM CDT
Georgia Just Lost 2 Big Productions Over Abortion Law
Kristen Wiig's new movie is out, as is an Amazon show
- Georgia's strict new abortion law is starting to take a toll on the state's burgeoning entertainment industry. A film starring Kristen Wiig won't film there, nor will a TV show for Amazon Studios. The Wiig film is
Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar
, being written...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
A Model Died After an LA Party. Now Her Friend Is Brain-Dead
After Backlash, Rittenhouse's Student Status Changes
China, or Disney, Did a Number on Homer
FTC Orders Walmart, Amazon to Explain 'Sky-High Prices'
Calls for Chris Cuomo to Be Fired After Documents Released
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.