Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
to Record Every
Oct 1, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
Poland Begins to Record Every Pregnancy
Government insists there's no connection to its anti-abortion law
- A new regulation that came into force in Poland on Saturday requiring women's pregnancy information to be uploaded to the national digital system has raised concerns among organizations that it could be another means for the conservative government to control women's lives. Women's groups suggested that the...
Gender Divide Marks
States' Abortion Debate
Sep 25, 2022 2:45 PM CDT
Gender Divide Marks States' Abortion Debate
'I'm tired of older, rich white men deciding our fate,' one demonstrator says
- Outside the West Virginia Legislature's chambers, the marble foyer was packed with young women in T-shirts, ripped jeans, and gym shorts holding signs with uteruses drawn in colored marker. "Bans off our bodies," the signs said. "Abortion is essential." Inside, a group of lawmakers, almost...
Michigan Judge Rules Against
90-Year-Old Abortion Ban
Sep 7, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
Michigan Judge Rules Against 90-Year-Old Abortion Ban
Governor praises decision but expects it to be appealed
- A near-total ban on abortions in Michigan was struck down Wednesday when a judge ruled the law violates the state constitution. The law, which makes performing an abortion a felony unless the mother's life is at risk, was approved in 1931 but dormant while Roe v. Wade guaranteed access...
Accuses DeSantis of
'Blatant Abuse of Power'
Aug 17, 2022 2:55 PM CDT
Ousted Prosecutor Accuses DeSantis of 'Blatant Abuse of Power'
Andrew Warren has filed a federal lawsuit
: A Florida prosecutor ousted by Gov. Ron DeSantis is suing to get his job back, accusing the Republican governor of "blatant abuse of power." Andrew Warren, who was suspended as state attorney in Hillsborough County earlier this month, accused DeSantis of violating his First Amendment rights in...
In Georgia, an
Embryo Is Now
a Tax Deduction
Aug 2, 2022 1:02 PM CDT
In Georgia, an Embryo Is Now a Tax Deduction
State issues guidelines for claiming the deduction, with policy on miscarriages unclear
- Taxpayers can now claim an individual income tax dependent exemption of $3,000 on their Georgia returns for an embryo "with a detectable human heartbeat." Guidance from the department of revenue says cardiac activity "may occur as early as six weeks' gestation" in cells that later become...
Indiana Investigating Child
Rape Victim's Abortion Doctor
Jul 14, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Indiana Investigating Child Rape Victim's Abortion Doctor
AG Todd Rokita calls her an 'abortion activist acting as a doctor with a history of failing to report'
- "There's a strong public interest in understanding ... [if] any woman is having an abortion in our state." So Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita told Fox News on Wednesday, explaining why his office will investigate the Indianapolis OB-GYN who admitted to treating a 10-year-old rape victim from Ohio....
State's Sole Abortion Clinic
Sues to Stop Ban
Jul 7, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
State's Sole Abortion Clinic Sues to Stop Ban
North Dakota law took effect after Supreme Court struck down Roe v. Wade
- North Dakota's sole clinic that provides abortion services filed a lawsuit in state court Thursday seeking to block a law that banned abortion following the US Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade . The Red River Women's Clinic argues that the ban violates the rights to...
Google to Remove
Location Data After
Visits to Clinics
Jul 2, 2022 5:50 PM CDT
Google to Remove Location Data After Visits to Clinics
Tech companies face pressure over user information after abortion ruling
- Google has announced that it will remove users’ location history entries soon after they visit an abortion provider, after facing pressure over fears the information could be used in prosecutions. An executive detailed the privacy change in a blog post Friday, the Hill reports, saying it will take effect in...
Texas Court Blocks
Order Resuming Abortions
Jul 2, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Texas Court Blocks Order Resuming Abortions
Houston judge had allowed procedures 3 days earlier
- The Texas Supreme Court has blocked an order that had briefly allowed some clinics to resume abortions in the state, the latest development in legal scrambles across the US since Roe v. Wade was overturned. The court on Friday night stopped a three-day-old order by a Houston judge who said...
Roe Will Give
Jun 27, 2022 12:04 AM CDT
Josh Hawley: Roe Will Give GOP More Electoral Strength
Senator says Democrats will head for blue states
Roe v. Wade
overturned, social media has been flooded with posts by pro-choice US residents considering a move to another state. According to Republican Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri, that's exactly what the GOP needs to happen. His prediction: "More and more red states are going to...
Judge Holds Up Abortion Law
Apr 21, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
Judge Holds Up Abortion Law
Kentucky's clinics say they aren't ready to comply with new statute
- A federal judge on Thursday temporarily blocked a state law that effectively eliminated abortions in Kentucky after the state's two remaining clinics said they couldn't meet its requirements. The decision by US District Judge Rebecca Grady Jennings was a victory for abortion rights advocates and a setback for...
Oklahoma Law Makes It
a Felony to Perform Abortion
Apr 12, 2022 11:17 AM CDT
Oklahoma Law Makes It a Felony to Perform Abortion
Governor signs tough new law
Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt signed a bill into law on Tuesday that makes it a felony to perform an abortion, part of an aggressive push in Republican-led states across the country to scale back abortion rights. The bill, which takes effect 90 days after the Legislature adjourns next month,...
Missouri Proposal Could Signal
New Anti-Abortion Strategy
Mar 9, 2022 8:01 AM CST
Missouri Proposal Could Signal New Anti-Abortion Strategy
It seeks to ban out-of-state abortions with enforcement by private citizens
- It's not only in Texas that women are getting around a strict abortion law by traveling out of state or buying abortion pills online. The same thing is playing out in states including Missouri, which passed a law in 2019 making abortion illegal after eight weeks of pregnancy including...
How Women Are Getting
Around Texas' Abortion Law
Mar 7, 2022 3:19 PM CST
How Women Are Getting Around Texas' Abortion Law
They're traveling out of state, ordering abortion pills from overseas
- Abortions among Texas women have fallen by only 10% since September, when Texas' strict abortion law went into effect, as women look outside the Lone Star State for help, the
New York Times
reports. That's according to two new studies, which show women traveled out of state for abortion...
Texas Reports 60% Plunge
in Abortions Under New Law
Feb 10, 2022 4:12 PM CST
Texas Reports 60% Plunge in Abortions Under New Law
Data for the first month also show no one filed a suit to collect $10K state offers
- Abortions in Texas fell by 60% in the first month under the most restrictive abortion law in the US in decades, according to new figures that for the first time reveal a full accounting of the immediate impact. The nearly 2,200 abortions reported by Texas providers in September came...
Supreme Court Deals Texas
Abortion Clinics New Setback
Jan 21, 2022 12:54 AM CST
Supreme Court Deals Texas Abortion Clinics New Setback
Declines to speed up the ongoing court case
In the latest setback for abortion rights in Texas, the Supreme Court on Thursday refused to speed up the ongoing court case over the state's ban on most abortions. Over dissents from the three liberal justices, the court declined to order a federal appeals court to return the...
After Woman Dies
Nov 7, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Poland Instructs Obstetricians After Woman Dies
Officials act after widespread protests of new abortion restriction
: One day after nationwide protests over a new restriction in Poland's abortion law, health officials have told doctors they may legally end a pregnancy when the life or health of the mother is in danger. The Health Ministry made the announcement in the form of instructions to obstetricians,...
Appeals Court Sides With
Texas on Abortion Yet Again
Oct 15, 2021 12:30 AM CDT
Appeals Court Sides With Texas on Abortion Yet Again
Ruling pushes the Texas law closer to returning to the Supreme Court
- Texas can continue banning most abortions after a federal appeals court on Thursday rejected the Biden administration’s latest attempt to undo a novel law that has become the nation’s biggest curb to abortion in nearly 50 years. It pushes the Texas law closer to returning to the Supreme...
Clinics Turn Patients Away
After Brief Gap on Abortion Ban
Oct 9, 2021 4:15 PM CDT
Clinics Turn Patients Away After Brief Gap on Abortion Ban
Biden administration hasn't said anything about a next step
- Texas clinics on Saturday canceled appointments booked during a 48-hour reprieve from the most restrictive abortion law in the US, which was back in effect as weary providers again focus their hopes on the Supreme Court. The Biden administration, which sued Texas over the law, has yet to say whether...
Takes Issue With
the 'Sinister' Term
Oct 1, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Justice Alito Takes Issue With the 'Sinister' Term 'Shadow Docket'
Justice blasts 'shadow docket' criticism in speech at Notre Dame
- Justice Samuel Alito on Thursday lashed out at the suggestion that there's "something sneaky and dangerous" about the Supreme Court's emergency docket, through which it allowed Texas' restrictive abortion law to take effect . In a speech at the University of Notre Dame days before the start of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Shooter's 'Death Note' Calls Out Walmart Workers
Man Solves 15-Year-Old Disneyland Riddle
Missing Cruise Passenger Turns Up Alive in Gulf Next Day
Grammer: Here's Why 'Niles' Won't Be in Frasier Reboot
16-Mile Utah Hike Goes Horribly Wrong for Couple
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.