Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'I Tried to Run, but the
Whole House Collapsed'
Nov 4, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
'I Tried to Run, but the Whole House Collapsed'
Powerful quake in northwest Nepal kills more than 150
- Survivors of a strong earthquake that shook Nepal's northwest in the middle of the night described sudden shaking, followed by houses collapsing and burying entire families, as the death toll rose to 157 on Saturday. Most of those killed were crushed by debris when their houses—usually made by...
Cult Members Keep Trying
to Die, Even After Rescue
Jun 14, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Cult Members Keep Trying to Die, Even After Rescue
65 charged with attempted suicide in Kenya; meanwhile, starvation death toll rises to 300-plus
- The death toll from a Kenyan doomsday cult whose members fatally starved themselves has surpassed 300, making it "one of the worst cult-related tragedies in recent history," per Reuters . The adjusted number came after authorities exhumed 19 more bodies from mass graves in the nation's southeastern Shakahola...
Grim Stats on
Jun 4, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Zelensky Offers Grim Stats on Ukrainian Troops
President says 60 to 100 soldiers are dying daily, but some note this will only galvanize Ukrainians
- As soon as they'd finished burying a veteran colonel killed by Russian shelling, the cemetery workers readied the next hole. Inevitably, given how quickly death is felling Ukrainian troops on the front lines, the empty grave won't stay that way for long. Col. Oleksandr Makhachek left behind a...
COVID Study Puts
Toll at 3 Times
Mar 13, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
COVID Study Puts Toll at 3 Times Official Count
Researchers say pandemic could have caused 18M deaths worldwide
- The World Health Organization has reported that, through 2021, almost 6 million people died in the COVID-19 pandemic. Now a new study has found that the actual total could be three times that estimate: 18.2 million. The real number of deaths "is much higher than simply assessed by...
Another Unwanted Milestone
Mar 7, 2022 7:22 AM CST
Pandemic Passes Another Unwanted Milestone
Death total worldwide reaches 6M
- The official global death toll from COVID-19 eclipsed 6 million on Monday—underscoring that the pandemic, now entering its third year, is far from over. The milestone was recorded by Johns Hopkins University, per the AP .
Death rates worldwide are still highest among people unvaccinated against the virus, said Tikki
Leaves 9 Dead
Feb 7, 2022 10:40 AM CST
'Unprecedented' Avalanche Onslaught Leaves 9 Dead
Austrian authorities warn of continued 'considerable' risk in the Alps
- Nine people are dead in the Austrian Alps after what's being described as an "unprecedented" spate of avalanche activity. On Saturday, officials there continued to warn of "considerable" risk of avalanches, due to heavy snowfall followed by warmer weather conditions, reports the AP . The
Not as Many as Feared
Dead in Candle Factory
Dec 13, 2021 10:35 AM CST
Kentucky Tornado: Not as Many as Feared Dead in Candle Factory
Governor confirms 64 deaths statewide as of Monday morning
As of Monday morning, Kentucky has confirmed 64 deaths from the weekend's tornadoes. Gov. Andy Beshear said that "undoubtedly there will be more," per CNN , perhaps as many as 80. He added that 105 residents of the state remain unaccounted for. Some of the fatalities occurred...
Extra Bad News
Dec 13, 2021 7:42 AM CST
New COVID Milestone Bears Extra Bad News for Elderly
As US reaches 800K deaths, numbers show that 1 in 100 older Americans have died from virus
New York Times
reports that the United States is "on the cusp" of reaching 800,000 COVID deaths. By Reuters' tally, we're already there, with the news group noting that death toll is more than the entire population of North Dakota. Either way, additional stats accompanying that...
New COVID Stats Illustrate
a Widening Divide
Nov 8, 2021 9:50 AM CST
New COVID Stats Illustrate a Widening Divide
Death toll is significantly higher in red America versus blue America
- An analysis by David Leonhardt in the
New York Times
has the provocative headline "US COVID Deaths Get Even Redder." And the key stats he cites illustrate the point:
"In October, 25 out of every 100,000 residents of heavily Trump counties died from COVID, more than
Frustrated Putin Warns
Russians: 'Get Sick
or Receive a Vaccine'
Oct 23, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Frustrated Putin Warns Russians: 'Get Sick or Receive a Vaccine'
Russia sees its highest infection and death numbers yet, with only third of nation vaxxed
- Russia is reporting a record high number of coronavirus infections and COVID-19 deaths as the country approaches a week of nonworking days aimed at stemming the sharp surge in cases. The national coronavirus task force said Saturday that 1,075 people had died from the virus in the past day...
Report: 90K COVID
Deaths Over Last
3 Months Likely
Oct 14, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
Report: 90K COVID Deaths Over Last 3 Months Likely Preventable
Kaiser Family Foundation blames lack of vaccinations
- COVID-19 was the second leading cause of death for all Americans last month, but for one group in particular, it hit even harder. According to a new report from the Kaiser Family Foundation and the Peterson Center on Healthcare cited by ABC News , the virus killed 1,899 people daily...
US Hits 'Tragic,' 'Completely
Avoidable' COVID Milestone
Oct 2, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
US Hits 'Tragic,' 'Completely Avoidable' COVID Milestone
More than 700K Americans dead from coronavirus, a number bigger than population of Boston
- Hospitals in crisis mode are starting to see some relief as COVID case numbers driven by a summer surge of the delta variant start to decrease, but the US has reached its "latest heartbreaking pandemic milestone" nonetheless: more than 700,000 deaths, a number bigger than the population of...
COVID's Death Toll
Catches 1918 Flu's
Sep 20, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
COVID's Death Toll Catches 1918 Flu's
One model shows another 100,000 people will be killed by January
- COVID-19 has now killed about as many Americans as the 1918-19 Spanish flu pandemic did—approximately 675,000. The US population a century ago was one-third of what it is today, meaning the flu cut a much bigger, more lethal swath through the country. But the COVID-19 crisis is by...
Details Emerge of Americans
Killed at Kabul Airport
Aug 28, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Details Emerge of Americans Killed at Kabul Airport
A young dad-to-be, a 20-year-old Californian, a future policeman
- A young husband with a child on the way. Another man who always wanted to be in the military. A man who planned to become a sheriff’s deputy when his deployment ended. Heartwrenching details began emerging Friday about some of the 13 US troops killed in a suicide bombing...
Just Earned a
Aug 26, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Fla. Governor Just Earned a Dubious New COVID Honor
DeSantis is first governor whose state is seeing more deaths than at any other point in pandemic
- While New York state reconciles its numbers on COVID deaths, Florida has a sobering new set of its own. Nearly a year and a half after the disease shut the world down, the Sunshine State is experiencing more coronavirus infections, hospitalizations, and deaths than at any other point during the...
Hochul: Truth Is New York Saw
Another 12K COVID Deaths
Aug 25, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Hochul: Truth Is New York Saw Another 12K COVID Deaths
She ups New York's total from the 43K deaths Cuomo reported as of Monday
- New York Gov. Kathy Hochul promised more government transparency on her first day in office, and her administration quickly delivered it by acknowledging nearly 12,000 more deaths in the state from COVID-19 than had been publicized by her predecessor, Andrew Cuomo. New York now reports nearly 55,400 people...
They Say 200
Died From PNW
Heat Wave. It May
Be Much More
Aug 12, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
They Say 200 Died From PNW Heat Wave. It May Be Much More
'Excess death' numbers out of Oregon, Washington state suggest hundreds more died than officially noted
- While much of the US was slammed with a wall of heat Wednesday , the Pacific Northwest in particular is bracing for more super-hot days, just weeks after enduring a deadly "heat dome" that shattered records. That weather event produced an official death toll of 95 in Washington state and...
A 1989 Soccer Tragedy
Claims One More Victim
Jul 29, 2021 11:12 AM CDT
A 1989 Soccer Tragedy Claims One More Victim
55-year-old dies in Britain from injuries suffered in crush of fans decades ago; death toll now 97
- A British man who died 32 years after being caught in a crush of soccer fans at an overcrowded Hillsborough Stadium has been recorded as the 97th victim of the tragedy, per the AP . Andrew Devine was badly injured in a crush of Liverpool fans at the stadium in Sheffield...
World Hits COVID
Milestone It Probably
Jul 8, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
World Hits COVID Milestone It Probably Already Passed
Reported deaths stand at 4 million, though that's likely a 'significant undercount'
- As many people have died from COVID-19 as live in Los Angeles. The known coronavirus death toll across the world passed 4 million on Thursday, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University, though the actual number of dead is likely far higher. The World...
Crews Find 6 Victims in
Rubble, 2 of Them Children
Jun 30, 2021 6:55 PM CDT
Crews Find 6 Victims in Rubble, 2 of Them Children
New concern involves storms forming in Atlantic, which could delay Surfside operations
- Search crews going through the ruins of a Florida condo tower pulled six more bodies from the rubble Wednesday, bringing the number of confirmed dead to 18. It was the highest one-day toll since the building collapsed almost a week ago into a heap of broken concrete. The number of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Her Body Was Found by Rock Climbers 26 Years Ago
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.