Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oct 29, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
At Oklahoma Execution, a Rare Occurrence
John Marion Grant vomited, convulsed as he was being put to death
- Oklahoma administered the death penalty Thursday on a man who convulsed and vomited as he was executed for the 1998 slaying of a prison cafeteria worker, ending a six-year execution moratorium brought on by concerns over its execution methods, the AP reports. John Marion Grant, 60, who was strapped to...
Death Row Inmates
Oct 28, 2021 12:21 AM CDT
2 Oklahoma Death Row Inmates Get Reprieve
Federal appeals court granted stays of execution Wednesday
- A federal appeals court granted stays of execution on Wednesday for two Oklahoma inmates who were scheduled to receive lethal injections in the coming weeks, the AP reports. A three-member panel of the 10th US Circuit Court of Appeals issued the stays for death row inmates John Marion Grant, who...
After Wave of 13
Federal Executions, a Halt
Jul 2, 2021 12:45 AM CDT
After Wave of 13 Federal Executions, a Halt
Department of Justice reviewing policies
- After the Trump administration restarted federal executions following a 17-year hiatus, Donald Trump oversaw 13 executions —more than any US president since the 1800s, Reuters reports. (Those executions also included the first woman put to death by the federal government in almost seven decades.) On Thursday, US Attorney...
Judge Won't Block 2
Jun 9, 2021 12:27 AM CDT
South Carolina Judge Won't Block 2 Controversial Executions
They're scheduled for June 18 and June 25
- A South Carolina judge on Tuesday refused to block two executions set for later this month as she considers a lawsuit over the state’s new capital punishment law, which effectively forces condemned prisoners to choose to die by either the electric chair or firing squad. State Circuit Judge Jocelyn...
Convicted Killer Wants
Firing Squad Considered
Apr 20, 2021 4:00 AM CDT
Convicted Killer Wants Firing Squad Considered
Nevada inmate's lawyers say 3-drug combo state wants to use is cruel and unusual
- A convicted killer who is fighting a possible June execution date that would make him the first person put to death in Nevada in 15 years is calling for the state to consider the firing squad as an option, a rare method in the United States. Attorneys for Zane Michael...
AP: Executioners' Accounts
Didn't Sync With What We Saw
Feb 17, 2021 8:27 AM CST
AP: Executioners' Accounts Didn't Sync With What We Saw
It weighs in on the 13 federal executions it witnessed as a member of the media
- Executioners who put 13 inmates to death in the last months of the Trump administration likened the process of dying by lethal injection to falling asleep and called gurneys "beds" and final breaths "snores." But those tranquil accounts are at odds with reports by the AP and...
Nov 30, 2020 6:20 PM CST
Lawyer: Client's Execution Delay 'Unprecedented'
SC officials say they can't obtain drugs needed to put Richard Bernard Moore to death by Friday
- South Carolina prison officials say they have to delay an execution scheduled for Friday because they won't be able to obtain the necessary lethal injection drugs. An attorney for the state Department of Corrections wrote in a letter to the South Carolina Supreme Court last week that the agency...
Inmate Uses Last Words
to Forgive Victim's Family
Nov 5, 2019 3:33 PM CST
Inmate Uses Last Words to Forgive Victim's Family
Donnivan Schaeffer's parents say they weren't expecting an apology anyway
- There was no apology given nor remorse shown before Charles Rhines was put to death in South Dakota Monday night for murdering Donnivan Schaeffer in 1992—but with his last words, Rhines did "forgive" Schaeffer's family, the
Rapid City Journal
reports. "Ed and Peggy Schaeffer, I forgive...
Nebraska Uses Fentanyl
to Kill Prisoner, a First
Aug 14, 2018 12:44 PM CDT
Nebraska Uses Fentanyl to Kill Prisoner, a First
Carey Dean Moore was put to death Tuesday
- For the first time, fentanyl has been used in the execution of a US prisoner. Carey Dean Moore was put to death via lethal injection at the Nebraska State Penitentiary Tuesday morning using a previously untested combination of four drugs: fentanyl citrate, the powerful synthetic opioid blamed for deadly overdoses...
Judge Halts Nevada's
Controversial Execution Plan
Jul 11, 2018 2:13 PM CDT
Judge Halts Nevada's Controversial Execution Plan
Drugmaker accused state of using 'subterfuge' to obtain one of the drugs
- A Nevada judge effectively put the execution of a two-time killer on hold Wednesday after a pharmaceutical company objected to the use of one of its drugs to put someone to death, the AP reports. Clark County District Judge Elizabeth Gonzalez disallowed the use of the drug in a ruling...
Their Client Wants to Die;
They're Worried About How
Nov 7, 2017 4:59 PM CST
Their Client Wants to Die; They're Worried About How
Lawyers for death row inmate not asking for a stay, but wouldn't mind hitting 'pause'
- Scott Dozier is scheduled to die via lethal injection Nov. 14, and he's ready for his execution—he requested last year that his appeals stop, and he has an agreement with his defense attorneys not to seek a delay—but his lawyers have concerns about the method that will...
Fentanyl Will Be Used in
Upcoming Nevada Execution
in case you missed it
Sep 3, 2017 3:10 PM CDT
Fentanyl Will Be Used in Upcoming Nevada Execution
Along with two other drugs in an un-tested combination
- "This is not actually science," anesthesiologist Joel Zivot tells the Marshall Project . "It’s not actually medicine. It is a grotesque impersonation of those things." Nevada officials announced in August the state will be carrying out an execution—its first in more than a decade—with...
Man Says Nothing as Florida
Executes Him With New Drug
Aug 25, 2017 12:28 AM CDT
Man Says Nothing as Florida Executes Him With New Drug
Mark Asay is first white man state has executed for killing a black man
- Florida on Thursday put a man to death with an anesthetic never used before in a US lethal injection , carrying out its first execution in more than 18 months on an inmate convicted of two racially motivated murders. Authorities said 53-year-old Mark Asay—the first white man executed in Florida...
With Arkansas Executions Set
to Begin, a New Foe Steps Up
Apr 14, 2017 7:15 AM CDT
With Arkansas Executions Set to Begin, a New Foe Steps Up
Drugmakers say they don't want their drugs used in capital punishment
- Two pharmaceutical companies asked a federal judge Thursday to prevent Arkansas from using their drugs to execute seven inmates by the end of the month, saying they object to their products being used for capital punishment, reports the AP . Fresenius Kabi USA and West-Ward Pharmaceuticals Corp. were granted permission to...
Feb 15, 2017 4:40 PM CST
Arizona Suggests 'Do-It-Yourself' Executions
Lawyers for death row inmates need only bring the drugs
- It's "unprecedented, wholly novel and frankly absurd," a lethal injection expert says of Arizona's new death penalty plan, which includes a provision for what one columnist calls a "do-it-yourself execution." Under the plan, the Arizona Department of Corrections—which has been unable to acquire...
Ohio Resuming Executions
After 3-Year Moratorium
Oct 3, 2016 1:32 PM CDT
Ohio Resuming Executions After 3-Year Moratorium
State will use a new 3-drug combination
- Ohio plans to resume executions in January with a new three-drug combination after an unofficial three-year moratorium blamed on shortages of lethal drugs, an attorney representing the state told a federal judge Monday. Thomas Madden with the Ohio attorney general's office said the state will use the drugs midazolam,...
Use of Its Drugs
May 14, 2016 6:13 AM CDT
Pfizer Bans Use of Its Drugs in Executions
This is a milestone in anti-capital punishment campaign
- Drug giant Pfizer says that since it is in the business of "saving and improving" lives, it has taken steps to make sure its products are not used to execute people. "Pfizer strongly objects to the use of its products as lethal injections for capital punishment," the...
Meet the Guy
Who Illegally Sold
to 4 States
Oct 25, 2015 7:59 AM CDT
Meet the Guy Who Illegally Sold Execution Drugs to 4 States
Buzzfeed digs into Harris Pharma of Salt Lake City, India
- Four US states bought execution drugs illegally supplied from a man in India, according to a report from Buzzfeed . Journalists Chris McDaniel and Tasneem Nashrulla say Chris Harris of Harris Pharma, a self-described drug manufacturer and distributor in Salt Lake City, India, has earned tens of thousands of dollars from...
Oct 19, 2015 6:38 PM CDT
Ohio Delays All Executions Until 2017
State is having trouble finding supplies of lethal injection drugs
- Ohio has delayed executions until 2017 because of problems finding supplies of lethal injection drugs. The announcement on Monday means Ohio will go at least two years without putting anyone to death and marks another setback in efforts to carry out capital punishment in the state. The Department of Rehabilitation...
Drug Glitch Leads Oklahoma to Halt 3 Executions
Oct 2, 2015 1:50 PM CDT
Drug Glitch Leads Oklahoma to Halt 3 Executions
Problem was discovered just hours before one execution was scheduled
- Oklahoma's highest criminal court unanimously agreed Friday to halt all of the state's scheduled executions after the state's prison system received the wrong drug for a lethal injection this week. The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals granted the state's request and issued indefinite stays of execution...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
FBI Reportedly Foils ISIS Plot to Kill Bush in Texas
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
Woody Harrelson Movie Gets 8-Minute Ovation at Cannes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.