Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Feb 5, 2015 1:50 PM CST
6-Year-Old 'Devoured' by Piranhas
It's believed her actual cause of death was drowning
- A tragic story out of Brazil, where a 6-year-old who was in a canoe that capsized was set upon by piranhas and partly "devoured." It's not clear if the creatures are what killed Adrila Muniz: Local media report she may have drowned. But the BBC cites "...
Oct 4, 2014 2:06 PM CDT
Fisherman's Catch Has 'Human Teeth'
Experts say it's probably some kind of piranha
- A fisherman in Russia has come upon a scary-sounding creature: a fish with teeth that look like our own, UPI reports. "I opened its mouth and was horrified to see human-like teeth in there," Alexander Korobov says. He caught the fish in the city of Arkhangelsk and took...
Caught in Michigan
Jul 16, 2014 1:09 AM CDT
Piranha-Like 'Testicle Biter' Caught in Michigan
Pacu was probably released from aquarium
- A woman fishing on the Michigan side of Lake St. Clair last week caught an unusual—and by some accounts, terrifying—fish more commonly found in South America. "When it first came up, I’m like, 'Holy crap,'" Holley Luft tells Fox News . "And just...
Piranhas Attack 70
in Feeding Frenzy
Dec 26, 2013 12:00 PM CST
Piranhas Attack 70 in Feeding Frenzy
7 children lost fingers or toes in Argentina
- This was a Christmas Day feeding frenzy that didn't involve shrimp cocktail and cookies. Piranhas attacked 70 people in Argentina yesterday, including seven children who lost parts of their fingers or toes. A heat wave has driven temperatures north of 100 degrees, leading hordes of people to attempt to...
Dec 8, 2011 12:40 AM CST
Teen Commits 'Suicide by Piranha'
Bolivian leaps into river swarming with flesh-eating fish
- An 18-year-old Bolivian picked a bizarre and gruesome way to commit suicide, police say. The intoxicated teen jumped out of his canoe into a stretch of river infested with piranhas and bled to death after suffering dozens of bites, the
reports. Police believe the death was suicide because the...
Sep 26, 2011 12:41 PM CDT
Piranhas Attack Brazilian Beachgoers
100 people suffer bites on toes, heels
- It's like a really awful B-movie come to life: Piranhas have been attacking beachgoers in northeast Brazil. AFP picks up a UOL Noticias report that about 100 people who braved the water at Piaui state's main beach last weekend had their toes or heels bitten, badly enough that...
Popular on Newser
Brooke Shields Blasts Barbara Walters for 1980 Interview
Suicide Pod Can Be Used in Switzerland
Before His Execution, Man Confessed to Another Murder
Finally, Cause of City's 'Stench of Death' Is Revealed
2 Die After Using Bed Rails
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.