Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
'a Death Sentence'
Nov 14, 2021 11:50 AM CST
Maldives Calls Summit Decision 'a Death Sentence'
Island nations say they can't afford to wait for incremental steps to address warming
- Small island nations are especially alarmed by the results of the UN climate conference, making the point that they don't have time for small, incremental steps to slow global warming. The crisis has reached their homes. Negotiators declined to commit to taking immediate action to hold global warming to...
Despite Rising Seas,
Tiny Island Nation
Feb 9, 2018 1:39 PM CST
Despite Rising Seas, Tiny Island Nation Actually Growing
Study finds a surprising possible future for Tuvalu
- Thanks to climate change, the world's oceans are rising. And they're rising twice as fast around Tuvalu, a tiny Pacific nation comprised of nine atolls and 101 reef islands totaling just 10 square miles of land mass. And yet—despite all common sense to the contrary—researchers found...
World's 1st 'Climate
Refugees' Find a Home
Aug 8, 2014 4:19 PM CDT
World's 1st 'Climate Refugees' Find a Home
New Zealand accepts family from island nation of Tuvalu
- Mark your calendar: The age of modern climate-change refugees may have just begun. New Zealand has agreed to let the family of Sigeo Alesana, a teacher, migrate from Tuvalu, a Polynesian island nation where rising salt water is said to be polluting the drinking water, the Smithsonian and Radio New...
Jul 10, 2012 6:32 AM CDT
Iran's Secret Oil-Smuggling Ally: Tuvalu
US accuses Tuvalu of reflagging Iranian ships to avoid embargo
- Swamped with unsellable oil thanks to an ever-tightening embargo, Iran has found an unlikely ally—the tiny Pacific island nation of Tuvalu, which has been helping Tehran reflag its oil tankers, reports Reuters . Up to 22 ships owned by the National Iranian Tanker Company have been registered in Tuvalu,...
Island Nation's Water
to Run Out in Days
Oct 7, 2011 8:28 AM CDT
Island Nation's Water to Run Out in Days
Australia, New Zealand join forces to help Tuvalu
- As a drought continues to ravage Tuvalu , only a few days' supply of fresh water remains on the tiny Pacific island nation—so Australia and New Zealand are bringing over a desalination plant. Air force planes from both countries are hauling the gear to rescue Tuvalu's residents, who face...
Crisis Level in
Oct 4, 2011 5:46 AM CDT
Drought Hits Crisis Level in Pacific Islands
Little or no rain in six months on Tuvalu, Tokelau
- Some island groups in the South Pacific, already in danger of being swamped by rising seas, have run out of fresh water. Tuvalu and Tokelau have declared states of emergency because of the water crisis, caused by six months of low or no rainfall and by groundwater becoming contaminated with...
Popular on Newser
Only a Whirlwind Can Save Mars Lander
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
Elite Cyclist Shot, Killed at 25
Female Soldier's Promotion Ceremony Took Lewd Turn
Report: Before Mass Shooting, 15 Accepted Suspect's Invite
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.