Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Skull Found on Mount Hood in 1986 Belonged to 19-Year-Old
Police seeking tips on Wanda Ann Herr
- Oregon police are investigating the 1970s disappearance of a 19-year-old woman after a skull found on Mount Hood in 1986 was confirmed to be hers. Two Forest Service workers were near Government Camp when they came across the partial skull and other bone fragments, which were thought to have been...
This Death, You Did Not Want
Modern-day bullet, meet the medieval longbow
- Rather be hit by an arrow than a bullet? A new study might make you think otherwise. Researchers at the University of Exeter have dug up human remains that confirm just how similar a medieval arrow was to a modern bullet, the Smithsonian reports. The study, published in
Burned Skull of Teen Mom Missing Since 2010 Turns Up
Prosecutor says 'multiple witnesses ... ought to be pretty nervous' in case of Paige Johnson
- The remains of a teenage mother who disappeared in Kentucky nearly a decade ago have been found across the state line in Ohio. Paige Johnson was just 17 when she vanished in Covington on Sept. 23, 2010, after going to a party with friends. Various searches failed to turn up...
Study of Vesuvius Victim's Skull Reveals a Surprise
Researchers say his brain turned to glass
- The eruption of Mount Vesuvius may have most famously destroyed Pompeii, but the nearby town of Herculaneum endured a similar fate. Now a new study suggests that at least one of the town's residents suffered a remarkable, if grisly, fate: His brain essentially turned to glass, reports Live Science...
Good News After Devastating Brazil Museum Fire
80% of famed 'Luzia' skull has been recovered
- A bit of good news after the catastrophic fire that ravaged Brazil's National Museum last month: One of the museum's most prized possessions has been mostly recovered. Museum director Alexander Kellner tells the AP that "Luzia," the oldest human fossil ever found in Latin America, was...
Study of 'Hitler's Teeth' Slams Conspiracy Theorists
'We can stop all the conspiracy theories about Hitler,' says study co-author
- Conspiracy theorists, take note: A new study of teeth and bone stored in Moscow concludes that Hitler really did die in 1945, AFP reports. "The teeth are authentic, there is no possible doubt," says study co-author Philippe Charlier. "Our study proves that Hitler died in 1945. We...
Study Finds Shrews Have Bizarre Undiscovered Ability
They shrink their brains, skulls for the winter and regrow them for the summer
- Shrews have a bonkers and heretofore undiscovered ability that Gizmodo states sounds like "some cruel, recurring witch's curse" but that scientists say is most likely a survival mechanism. According to a study published Monday in
, the wild common shrew shrinks its skull—by up to 20%—...
US Museum Will Stop Displaying Soldier's Skull
Australian soldier's skull will be returned and reunited with his body
- Private Thomas Hurdis' death in October 1917 was a grisly one. The Australian soldier was shot in the face with lead bullets during the Battle of Passchendaele in France, blinding the 27-year-old and destroying parts of his jaw and sinuses. Philadelphia ophthalmologist WT Shoemaker tended to the soldier, who bled...
Boy Tripped While Hiking, Made Big Find in the Process
Jude Sparks accidentally uncovered a stegomastodon skull
- Luck came not once, but twice for Jude Sparks. The then-9-year-old was lucky enough to trip not on a rock, or a tree root, but on a 1.2-million-year-old fossil when trying to dash away from his brothers on a November desert hike with his family. And as New Mexico...
One in 500 Trillion: Triplets All Suffer Same Disorder
But Howard brothers of Long Island are doing fine after surgery
- Kaden, Hunter, and Jackson Howard were born newsworthy—the Long Island triplets were conceived without fertility drugs, and Hunter and Jackson are identical while Kaden is fraternal. But not long into their young lives, the happy news took a turn. Their heads became noticeably misshapen. Kaden had a pointy forehead...
Hero King's Unknown Face Now Revealed
Two versions, one with leprosy and one without, attempt to show us the leader
- Robert the Bruce, King of Scots from 1306 until his death in 1329 and perhaps most famous for defeating the English army at the Battle of Bannockburn, has been dead some 700 years, but we're just now getting a good idea of what he might have looked like. Without...
Woman With Skull on Stick Leads Cops to Body
Cops spotted her on Sacramento street
- It sounds like a Halloween prank, but police in Sacramento, Calif., say it was all too real. Authorities say a homeless woman led them to a decomposed body after she was seen walking down the street with a human skull on a stick, the AP reports. Police tell KTXL that...
Nat Turner's Descendants to Be Reunited With His Skull
Whether the skull is actually Turner's has yet to be confirmed
- A skull thought to be that of Nat Turner, the controversial rebel leader whose slave revolt in Virginia in 1831 left about 60 white people dead, including women and children, will finally be presented to Turner's descendants Friday. Former Gary, Ind., mayor Richard Hatcher was given the skull by...
Human Skull in Shop Triggers Investigation
Media descends on "Omi Relekun" in Compton, Calif.
- Authorities have found one human skull and eight containers with potentially more at a Los Angeles-area shop that sells spiritual items. Los Angeles County sheriff's Capt. Steve Katz says deputies responded to the Compton business Friday after a woman complained of animal cruelty. When investigators arrived, Katz says they...
Nicolas Cage Returns Stolen Dinosaur Skull
He bought the fossil, smuggled from Mongolia, for $276K
- Remember that dinosaur skull in Nicolas Cage's collection? It's now in the hands of US authorities who say it was stolen from Mongolia. Cage isn't accused of stealing the Tyrannosaurus bataar skull himself; his publicist says he bought it from a Beverly Hills gallery in March 2007...
Church Stops Clergy From Digging Up 'Shakespeare Skull'
Clergymen wanted conjecture settled once and for all
- Like to size up the cranium that once held the brain behind
, and roughly 1,500 words we still use today? Well, it's bad news for you—and anyone who believes William Shakespeare's skull is lying under a small village chapel in England, the
Skull of 'Real' Winnie-the-Pooh Resurfaces
It's on display in London
- You can now feast your eyes on the real-life inspiration for Winnie-the-Pooh—or her skull anyway. Winnie, a female black bear named after the Canadian city of Winnipeg, was a star attraction at London Zoo in the 1920s and a favorite of Christopher Robin, who named his own teddy bear...
How a Medical Team Reattached a Toddler's Skull
The 16-month-old is in a halo brace after a car accident, but walking
- In mid-September, Rylea Taylor and her two children survived a 70mph head-on collision in Australia. But when Rylea pulled 16-month-old Jaxon out of the wreckage, she didn't need to be an expert to see her son's neck was broken. Indeed, his top two vertebrae were fractured, and both...
Decapitated Head Kindles 9K-Year-Old Mystery
This was "ritualized decapitation," researchers say
- A decapitated skull discovered in Brazil is providing clues to the long-lost beliefs of people who lived there thousands of years ago, the Smithsonian reports. Found in 2007 and revealed in a new study , the 9,000-year-old skull seems to have been cut off and buried under limestone slabs—which...
N. America's Oldest Horned Dino Was Size of Bunny
Triceratops relative from early Cretaceous period also picky eater: scientists
- When paleontologists on a National Geographic Society expedition dug up a 100-million-year-plus sample sticking out of the dirt in Montana in 1997, they initially thought it was a rock—until they saw it had teeth. Now, 17 years later, they've finally gotten around to naming and describing the creature,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
NHL Team Drops Prospect Over His Actions as a Teen
He Was Waiting for a Bus in NYC. Then, a Horrifying Plunge
Kanye's Birthday Gift to Kim: a 'Special Surprise From Heaven'
Site Co-Founder Quits, Saying Biden Article Was Censored
Paralyzed 11 Seconds Into His First Game, He Became an 'Inspiration'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.