Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 1,731,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stand Your Ground
Stories 1 - 20 |
For George Zimmerman's Lawyer, the Tables Have Turned
Mark O'Mara is now repping slain black teen Adrein Green
- The attorney who represented George Zimmerman in the fatal 2012 shooting of Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Fla., now has the opposite case. Mark O'Mara is representing the family of a black teen who was fatally shot before 2am on May 5 as he allegedly attempted to burglarize a vehicle,...
'See You in Hell': Man in Florida 'Stand Your Ground' Case Sentenced
Michael Drejka gets 20 years in prison for manslaughter of Markeis McGlockton
- "I know in the Bible, it talks about in order to get into heaven, you have to forgive. At this part in my life I’m not there yet, and if the lord chooses to take me before I come to terms with this, then I will see you...
Cops: Homeowner Shot, Killed 3 Masked Teens
Police say it could be a 'stand your ground' case
- A man who killed three teenagers outside his suburban Atlanta home early Monday has not been charged, police say. Deputy Lee Thomas at the Rockdale County Sheriff's Office says investigators have determined that the teens—two 16-year-old boys and a 15-year-old boy—were fatally shot during an exchange of...
Jury Rules in Florida 'Stand Your Ground' Case
Michael Drejka could get 30 years for shooting Markeis McGlockton
- A high-profile "stand your ground" case ended Friday with the shooter found guilty of manslaughter, the
Tampa Bay Times
reports. A Florida jury took 6 1/2 hours to convict Michael Drejka, who had fatally shot Markeis McGlockton in a 2018 dispute over a handicapped parking space. A woman broke...
He Said He Feared for His Life. Tape Makes It a 'Tough Call'
Legal experts wrangle with whether store co-owner had 'stand your ground' rights in fatal Fla. shooting
- The tapes are out from Florida police, and now the world can see more of the story behind the fatal shooting of Christobal Lopez. The 50-year-old was killed Oct. 3 in a Vets Army Navy Surplus Store in Lakeland while there with his father—both transients, police say, per the...
Uber Driver's Shooting of Man 'Justifiable Homicide'
The deadly confrontation was caught on dash cam
- "This is a justifiable homicide all day long." That's the determination of Polk County, Fla., Sheriff Grady Judd in the case of an Uber driver who fatally shot a man early Tuesday morning, CNN reports. Robert Westlake was driving with a passenger on a two-lane road when...
Weeks Later, a Charge in Fatal Florida Parking Lot Shooting
Michael Drejka charged with manslaughter
- Prosecutors charged a white man with manslaughter Monday in the death of an unarmed black man whose videotaped shooting in a store parking lot has revived debate over Florida's "stand your ground" law, the AP reports. Michael Drejka, 47, has been charged with the July 19 death of...
Parking Lot Death: No Arrest, Lots of Controversy
Florida shooting raises questions about state's 'stand your ground' law
- A controversy is brewing in Florida over a fatal shooting in a parking lot, one that involves renewed scrutiny of the state's "stand your ground" law. The basics:
On Thursday, 47-year-old Michael Drejka shot 28-year-old Markeis McGlockton in a dispute over a handicapped parking space at
Judge: Florida's Updated 'Stand Your Ground' Law Unconstitutional
Other courts can still follow new version of law
- Florida lawmakers modified the state's "Stand Your Ground" self-defense law this year, and a Miami judge ruled Monday that the updated version of the law is unconstitutional, the
reports. The new version of the law requires prosecutors to disprove a defendant's claim of self-defense at...
3 Alarming Stats From Florida Under 'Stand Your Ground'
Homicides have spiked, including those of African-Americans
- For years, people have claimed "Stand Your Ground" laws have led to an increase in violence . A new
study suggests their observations were right, at least in Florida. It finds homicides in the state spiked 24% from 82 per month from 1999 to October 2005, when Florida's...
Man Shoots Unarmed Ex at Denny's, Claims Self-Defense
Florida's Sean Barnes is the latest to invoke Stand Your Ground law
- Sean Barnes admits he followed his ex-girlfriend into a Denny's bathroom, then shot her in the face. But as for the resulting attempted murder charge, Barnes says he acted in self-defense in August 2013 in accordance with Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law, reports the
Zimmerman Up Against Familiar Words: 'Stand Your Ground'
His alleged assailant may use the defense
- The man accused of shooting at George Zimmerman is planning to use a defense strategy that should be familiar to Zimmerman: Stand your ground. The attorney for Matthew Apperson said today that his client qualifies because he opened fire when he thought his life was in danger. As the AP...
George Zimmerman's New Gig: Gun Store Guard
He's reportedly patrolling shop as volunteer
- George Zimmerman hasn’t been on the radar much after a failed celebrity-boxing attempt and his family’s public tiff with Roseanne earlier this year, but Mashable has tracked him down at his new gig: guarding a Florida gun store. A police report obtained by Mashable says a patrolling officer...
Partier Knocks on Wrong Door, Gets Shot
Home belongs to a fire department captain in Vegas
- A partygoer knocked on the wrong door in Las Vegas yesterday morning—and caught a bullet for his troubles. According to police, two men in their 20s had briefly left a birthday party and were trying to return just before 2 am when they made the mistake. They didn't...
Blind Florida Man Who Killed Buddy Gets His Guns Back
Was exonerated under Stand Your Ground
- A blind man in Florida who shot and killed a drinking buddy in March 2012 has been reunited with his guns after winning immunity from prosecution last month under the state's Stand Your Ground law. The judge in Sanford—the city where George Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin—on Thursday...
Farrakhan: Give African Americans Our Own Courts
Controversial minister says US courts are biased against black people
- Controversial minister Louis Farrakhan offered up a controversial idea yesterday at the Nation of Islam's annual convention in Detroit: The black community should have its own court system, because the existing system is biased against African Americans. "We want equal justice under the law," Farrakhan said,...
'Loud Music' Killer Is Going to Jail; Is That Enough?
What Michael Dunn's murder mistrial says about race in America
- Michael Dunn, the man who shot 17-year-old Jordan Davis over music he believed was too loud, is going to prison , likely for the rest of his life. But the jury didn't convict him of murder, which has left a bad taste in many people's mouths. Has justice been...
'Stand Your Ground' Eyed in Florida Movie Shooting
Ex-cop's age could help his case
- Chucking popcorn at an elderly guy may not sound like a valid reason for gunning a man down, but the retired police captain charged with murder in an argument about movie theater texting happens to be both 71 and in Florida so he might just have a case under the...
Shooter's Defense: Stand Your Ground, Bush Doctrine
Florida man shot 3 people he said were threatening him
- A Florida man who shot three people in a surprise attack during a Labor Day barbecue has an unusual two-pronged defense: His lawyers cite both the state's "Stand Your Ground" law and the "Bush Doctrine," reports
. William Woodward, 44, told police that the men...
Celebs Boycotting Florida Over Zimmerman Verdict
A whole slew reportedly joining Stevie Wonder
- Because really, who hasn't been tempted to boycott the Sunshine State in its entirety ? Stevie Wonder started it last week, when he announced he was done with Florida in protest of George Zimmerman's acquittal and the state's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law. Until the law...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Twitter Hides Trump Tweet on Minneapolis
Mayor Refuses to Resign Over George Floyd Remarks
Men Hired for Sexual Fantasy Broke Into Wrong House
7 Shot at Kentucky Protest Over Police Shooting
Forbes Redid the Numbers. It's Bad News for Kylie Jenner
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.