Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Marie Antoinette's Bracelets
Sell for Astronomical Amount
Nov 10, 2021 1:52 AM CST
Marie Antoinette's Bracelets Sell for Astronomical Amount
They went for $8.34M at auction
- A pair of diamond bracelets that once belonged to Marie Antoinette, the famed wife of French King Louis XVI who met her fate at the revolutionary guillotine, sold for $8.34 million on Tuesday, the AP reports. The opulent bracelets, among the rare pieces of jewelry from the ill-fated French...
Science Solves Mystery in
Marie Antoinette Love Letter
Oct 2, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Science Solves Mystery in Marie Antoinette Love Letter
Imaging technology reveals words the recipient scribbled over
- “Not without you.” “My dear friend.” “You that I love." Marie Antoinette sent these expressions of affection—or more?—in letters to her close friend and rumored lover Axel von Fersen. Someone later used dark ink to scribble over the words, apparently to dampen...
Archaeologist Makes Chilling
Find in Walls of French Chapel
in case you missed it
Jul 4, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
Archaeologist Makes Chilling Find in Walls of French Chapel
Guillotine victims apparently buried there, not in the catacombs as believed
- The administrator of a historic chapel in France noticed the walls were looking odd in places, and he called in an archaeologist to take a professional look. The reason for the anomalies is a dark one, dating back to the French Revolution: It appears that up to 500 victims of...
Have $1,600 for a
Tree? France Is Calling
Apr 8, 2020 5:20 PM CDT
Have $1,600 for a Tree? France Is Calling
Marie Antoinette's private garden is finally being revived
- Marie Antoinette's reign ended badly—the queen of France was guillotined for treason in 1793—but her taste in gardening lives on, the
New York Times
reports. A private garden designed to her liking is being rebuilt at Versailles, and after years of debate, caretakers have decided her taste...
Jewels of France's
Last Queen Hit
Nov 14, 2018 6:21 AM CST
Jewels of France's Last Queen Hit Auction Block
Ring, pearl necklaces to be sold Thursday in Switzerland
- Let them eat their hearts out. Jewels that once belonged to Marie Antoinette, the extravagant and doomed last queen of France, are set to hit the auction block as part of what Sotheby's calls "one of the most important royal jewellery collections ever to appear on the market....
A Beheaded Queen's
Jewelry Is Up for Grabs
Jun 13, 2018 12:50 PM CDT
A Beheaded Queen's Jewelry Is Up for Grabs
Pearls worn by Marie Antoinette that haven't been seen in public in 200 years are up for auction
- Sotheby's says it will be auctioning off a set of natural pearls that once belonged to the famed—or infamous—French queen Marie Antoinette, and that haven't been seen in public for centuries. The sale of "Royal Jewels From the Bourbon-Parma Family" is set to take place...
Mar 27, 2012 3:38 PM CDT
Marie Antoinette's Shoes Sell for $57K
White silk mules were expected to fetch far less
- A pair of shoes believed to be Marie Antoinette's were expected to auction for about $6,500—but they brought in $57,000, AFP reports. The white silk mules, which feature tricolor ribbons, were sold at an auction of French Revolution artifacts in Toulon, France. The queen may have...
Popular on Newser
Great Barrier Reef Just 'Gave Birth'
New COVID Variant Is a 'Big Jump in Evolution'
Snowboarding Legend Dies in Filming Accident
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Wrongfully Jailed at 18, He's Now a Millionaire
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.