Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Lawsuit: Skittles 'Unfit
for Human Consumption'
Jul 17, 2022 8:16 AM CDT
Lawsuit: Skittles 'Unfit for Human Consumption'
Complaint cites use of chemical titanium dioxide to provide the candy's vibrant colors
- Skittles famously wants fans to "taste the rainbow," but a new lawsuit says the chemical used to create that rainbow is a toxic health threat. The suit filed in Oakland last week calls Skittles "unfit for human consumption" because maker Mars Inc. continues to use titanium dioxide...
Candy Is Odd
Oct 30, 2019 8:13 AM CDT
10 States Whose Most Popular Halloween Candy Is Odd
3 states prefer ...saltwater taffy?
- It's no surprise that various regions around the US have different preferences when it comes to Halloween candy. What
surprising is that the most popular seasonal confections in certain states are, well, not typical. CBS News reports on a new interactive map by Candy.com , based on 12...
Skittles Still Getting to Bottom
of Candy-Coated Highway
Feb 3, 2017 1:54 PM CST
Skittles Still Getting to Bottom of Candy-Coated Highway
Parent company Mars now blames a 'miscommunication'
- Mars says a miscommunication with a subcontractor led to a defective batch of its Skittles, reportedly on their way to becoming cattle feed, ending up scattered across a highway, the AP reports. The spill captured widespread attention after a Facebook post by a Wisconsin sheriff showed a road covered in...
Said to Be Used
as Cattle Feed
Jan 23, 2017 7:21 AM CST
Mars Perplexed About Skittles Said to Be Used as Cattle Feed
The company says it is investigating
- A mysterious Skittles spill on a rural highway in Wisconsin is taking another twist, with Mars Inc. saying it doesn't know why the discarded candy might have been headed to become cattle feed. The case began when a Wisconsin sheriff posted on Facebook this week that "hundreds of...
Jan 19, 2017 4:25 PM CST
Massive Skittles Spill Creates Candy-Coated Highway
The candies were on their way to be fed to cows
- Cnet says it looked like a "crimson highway to hell," but WISN argues it was more of a "sweet mess." On Tuesday night, "hundreds of thousands" of Skittles were found spilled on a Wisconsin highway, WBAY reports. Sheriff Dale Schmidt says the smell was...
Trump Jr. Used
Sep 20, 2016 12:46 PM CDT
Skittles Pic Trump Jr. Used Was Taken by Ex-Refugee
- Donald Trump Jr.'s tweet comparing Syrian refugees to Skittles didn't go over well with the public, the candymaker, and now, the UK photographer who took the photo he says Trump stole for his tweet, the BBC reports. David Kittos says he took the pic of the colorful...
Trump Jr.'s Refugee Tweet
Doesn't Fly With Skittles Maker
Sep 20, 2016 2:11 AM CDT
Trump Jr.'s Refugee Tweet Doesn't Fly With Skittles Maker
'Skittles are candy. Refugees are people'
- One of the most controversial moments from the campaign trail on Monday came not from either of the major candidates but from Donald Trump Jr. As CNN reports, he shared a tweet that compared the Syrian refugee problem—and the notion that terrorists might be hiding among them—to Skittles....
Moms Attack Skittles
for 'Bestiality' Ad
Sep 5, 2012 12:02 AM CDT
Moms Attack Skittles for 'Bestiality' Ad
That walrus is no boyfriend, squawks One Million Moms
- The morality brigade of One Million Moms has its tusks in a twist over a new Skittles ad. Now they're claiming the colorful candy company is promoting ... bestiality, reports Gawker . Maybe that's because a new ad features a young woman apparently kissing a walrus. "What are you...
Mar 29, 2012 12:56 PM CDT
Skittles Sales Soaring Amid Trayvon Outrage
But company is worried about PR issues
- Much like hoodies, Skittles have become a symbol for Trayvon Martin supporters. They've been piled into makeshift memorials, handed out at rallies, and more. But despite the soaring sales, people at Wrigley, the Mars subsidiary that makes Skittles, are nervous about the PR implications, the
New York Times
Popular on Newser
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.