Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Startling Find Made
in Bizarre Star System
Sep 9, 2020 6:50 PM CDT
Startling Find Made in Bizarre Star System
Studies see evidence of a planet forming in GW Orionis
- Tatooine, eat your heart out: Scientists may have spotted the first known planet orbiting three suns, LiveScience reports. The rare triple-star system, GW Orionis, had already been observed roughly 1,300 light-years from Earth. Now two new studies say there could be a fledgling planet in one of its three...
How Trump's Moon Plan
Might Actually Pan Out
Apr 29, 2020 5:15 PM CDT
How Trump's Moon Plan Might Actually Pan Out
There really are plans to mine the moon
- President Trump issued an executive order last month allowing US companies to mine the moon, but—is this really possible? Sure enough,
lays out enough of the science, current projects, and history of moon-mining enthusiasm to make it seem real. "We've just been moving in a...
Earth's Gravity Catches
Feb 26, 2020 4:58 PM CST
Earth's Gravity Catches 'Another Moon'
Scientists call it a 'minimoon'
- Take a gander at the stars, and you might spot ... no, you won't. It's way too small. But scientists say Earth likely has another moon—at least for now—that's no bigger than a car,
reports. Astronomers at the Catalina Sky Survey in Arizona noticed...
It Turns Out Venus Is
Not Our Closest Neighbor
Mar 15, 2019 9:07 AM CDT
It Turns Out Venus Is Not Our Closest Neighbor
On average, that is
- File this one away for bar trivia night: The planet closest to Earth is not Venus. So say researchers in a paper in Physics Today touting the new mathematical method they devised that spit out the true nearest neighbor when distance is averaged over time: Mercury. And here's the...
On the Far Side
of the Moon, Cotton Grows
Jan 15, 2019 6:50 AM CST
On the Far Side of the Moon, Cotton Grows
China's getting into extraterrestrial agriculture, sprouts seeds in moon lander
- For the first time anybody is aware of, seeds have sprouted on a celestial body beyond Earth. The China National Space Administration released a photo Tuesday showing that cotton seeds brought to the far side of the moon by the country's Chang'e 4 lander had germinated, the
Farthest Observed Object
in Solar System Is 'Farout'
Dec 18, 2018 4:56 AM CST
Farthest Observed Object in Solar System Is 'Farout'
Dwarf planet is 11 billion miles away
- Astronomers have spotted the farthest object ever observed in our solar system—and they've nicknamed the pink cosmic body "Farout." The International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center announced the discovery Monday. "Farout" (pronounced far-out) is a dwarf planet about 120 astronomical units away—that's...
Russian Official Smirks
About US Moon Landings
Nov 24, 2018 3:30 PM CST
Russian Official Smirks About US Moon Landings
Dmitry Rogozin says Russia will verify them
- The head of Russia's Roscosmos space agency has said that a proposed Russian mission to the moon will be tasked with verifying that the American moon landings were real, though he appeared to be making a joke, the AP reports. "We have set this objective to fly and...
Diamond From the Sky May
Have Formed in 'Lost Planet'
Apr 18, 2018 1:17 AM CDT
Diamond From the Sky May Have Formed in 'Lost Planet'
Meteorite has traces of proto-planet, researchers say
- Fragments of a meteorite that fell to Earth a decade ago provide compelling evidence of a lost planet that once roamed our solar system, researchers say. A team from Switzerland, France, and Germany examined diamonds found inside the Almahata Sitta meteorite and concluded they were most likely formed by a...
Our First Guest
Nov 21, 2017 8:17 AM CST
Meet 'Oumuamua, Our First Guest From Another Solar System
And scientists think there could be thousands more just like it passing through
- Houston, we have a visitor—and astronomers think there could be 10,000 more just like it "lurking" in wait, as the
puts it. Meet 1I/2017 U1, or 'Oumuamua (Hawaiian for "messenger" or "scout"), which scientists say is an asteroid from another solar system—...
'We Are Dealing With Our 1st
Truly Identified Alien Visitor'
Oct 28, 2017 10:24 AM CDT
'We Are Dealing With Our 1st Truly Identified Alien Visitor'
Astronomers believe they've confirmed object arrived in our solar system from another
- There's something strange in the solar neighborhood. "We've never seen anything like this before," Rob Weryk tells the
New York Times
. Earlier this month, the astronomer at the University of Hawaii Institute for Astronomy discovered a mysterious object zipping through our solar system. Calculations show it...
'ET' Dust Extracted From
White Cliffs of Dover
Sep 11, 2017 10:19 AM CDT
'ET' Dust Extracted From White Cliffs of Dover
Cosmic particles could offer clues to past major events like asteroid collisions
- The White Cliffs of Dover serve as both a stunning photographic subject and as an iconic British symbol of defense during war. Now they're also a geological museum of sorts: Scientists from Imperial College London have discovered 76 particles of fossilized cosmic dust in the chalky limestone, which could...
40-Year-Old Signal From
Space Is Finally Explained
in case you missed it
Jun 10, 2017 11:30 AM CDT
40-Year-Old Signal From Space Is Finally Explained
Astronomer says it was 'a natural phenomenon,' not aliens
- In 1977, a radio telescope recorded a 72-second signal coming from the direction of the constellation Sagittarius. Stunned, the astronomer who observed it wrote "Wow!" on the readout. Since it couldn't be explained, plenty argued the signal was proof of life beyond our planet. After 40 years,...
3B Years Ago,
Aug 8, 2016 12:19 PM CDT
3B Years Ago, Venus Might've Been Livable
Climate models suggest it was a lot like early Earth
- Venus is perhaps best known as "that torrid acid bath next door," as Gizmodo puts it, with toxic thunderclouds and atmospheric pressure capable of crushing bones, per Science Alert —but it might have looked very different 700 million years ago. After plugging topographic data and the hydrogen...
About to Get
Its Closest Ever
Look at Jupiter
Jun 28, 2016 4:57 PM CDT
Humanity Is About to Get Its Closest Ever Look at Jupiter
Juno probe scheduled to enter Jupiter's orbit July 4
- Three Lego figures are about to get closer to Jupiter than humanity has ever been. The Legos—representations of Galileo and the Roman gods Jupiter and Juno made out of "spacecraft-grade" aluminum—are aboard NASA's Juno probe, which is scheduled to enter Jupiter's orbit July 4, the...
Why Astronomers Named
This Comet After a Cat
in case you missed it
May 7, 2016 6:54 AM CDT
Why Astronomers Named This Comet After a Cat
C/2014 S3, now a 'Manx comet,' has no tail
- The discovery was so unusual that at first astronomers didn't know what to call it. A comet bearing the official name C/2014 S3 also bore no tail—which isn't just unusual, but the first ever to be observed by humans, reports Reuters . Moreover, it was dark and rocky,...
Finally, an Explanation for
Mercury's Dark Surface
Mar 8, 2016 8:35 AM CST
Finally, an Explanation for Mercury's Dark Surface
Comets didn't carry in the carbon, but rather disrupted what was already there
- Mercury's mysterious surface darkness has baffled scientists: Though it's far closer to the sun than our moon, the latter reflects more sunlight. Last year, it was proposed that the root cause is carbon. As Patrick Peplowski of the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory tells the
Scientists: There May Be a Giant 9th Planet Past Pluto
Jan 20, 2016 11:07 AM CST
Scientists: There May Be a Giant 9th Planet Past Pluto
Sorry, Pluto—'Planet 9' may be more of a 'massive perturber' than you
- Pluto is gonna be PO'd. While the dwarf planet tries to fight its way back into the good graces of Those Who Deem What Counts as a Planet, another icy orb even further out may snatch that designation first. Astronomers at the California Institute of Technology say a giant...
Key Wrinkle in
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 12, 2015 7:00 PM CDT
Scientists Explain Key Wrinkle in Moon's Formation
Planetary collision theory gains support
- How did our moon come to be? The dominant theory holds that it broke off of the Earth when another planet collided with ours, about 4.5 billion years ago. But if that's the case, it seems suspicious to scientists that the moon is made of material very like...
Jupiter Made Our
Solar System Weird
Mar 24, 2015 4:00 AM CDT
Jupiter Made Our Solar System Weird
Wandering planet wiped out early super-Earths
- As astronomers get a better look at the planets circling other stars, it's becoming increasingly apparent that our solar system is pretty strange—and Jupiter seems to be the reason why. Most other solar systems appear to have at least one large planet orbiting very close to the star,...
Star Once Passed
Close' to Earth
Feb 18, 2015 3:49 PM CST
Star Once Passed 'Astronomically Close' to Earth
It was less than a light-year away
- Somewhere out there is a trivia question asking for the name of the star closest to our solar system. The answer has long been Proxima Centauri, a mere 4.2 light-years away. But now astronomers say that another star came five times closer about 70,000 years ago, they write...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Video Emerges of Giuliani Incident at Grocery Store
Cops: Subway Worker Killed Over Mayo Complaint
Why Some Jews, Muslims, See Roe Reversal as an Attack
John Cornyn's Brown v. Board of Education Tweet Causes Uproar
Jan. 6 Panel Calls Surprise Hearing
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.