Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Speech at NRA Meeting
Appears to Confuse Its CEO
May 31, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Speech at NRA Meeting Appears to Confuse Its CEO
Homage to Wayne LaPierre's 'thoughts and prayers' was the work of prankster Jason Selvig
- A man who appeared to defend National Rifle Association CEO Wayne LaPierre at the group's annual meeting this weekend, just days after a mass shooting at a Texas elementary school killed 21 people, was doing anything but. Jason Selvig, one half of comedy duo The Good Liars, took the...
NPR Obtains Tapes of NRA
Discussions After Columbine
Nov 9, 2021 1:32 PM CST
NPR Obtains Tapes of NRA Discussions After Columbine
Top officials wrestle with whether to respond with defiance or sympathy
- School shootings were relatively rare when the Columbine massacre unfolded in 1999, and NPR has obtained two-plus hours of recordings of NRA officials struggling to decide how to respond. The issue was especially dicey because the group's convention was due to take place days later just a few miles...
Out of Their
Jul 31, 2021 2:50 PM CDT
LaPierres Made Stools Out of Their Elephant Kills
'New Yorker' and Trace detail the under-wraps shipments from 2013 safari hunt
- Earlier this year, the
and the Trace unearthed video of NRA exec Wayne LaPierre and wife Susan hunting elephants in Botswana back in 2013. Now comes a follow-up from both outlets on the logistics of what happened next—specifically, how the LaPierres wanted their kills preserved as trophies...
Judge Shoots Down
May 11, 2021 5:32 PM CDT
Judge Shoots Down NRA Bankruptcy
He accuses 'solvent' group of trying to use filing to dodge New York lawsuit
- The National Rifle Association's attempt to use bankruptcy to leave New York and reorganize in Texas was shot down by a federal judge in Dallas Tuesday. US Bankruptcy Judge Harlin Hale, ruling after a 12-day trial that concluded May 3, said the gun rights group's bankruptcy wasn't...
by NRA's Chief
Apr 28, 2021 6:42 AM CDT
Video Emerges of 'Inept' Elephant Hunt by NRA's Chief
One critic calls shooting by Wayne LaPierre 'inept' and 'clumsy'
- A video shot for an NRA-sponsored TV series was hidden from the world for nearly eight years—until now. The footage, obtained by the
and the Trace , shows CEO Wayne LaPierre and his wife, Susan, shooting two savanna elephants in Botswana in September 2013. (The elephants have since...
on Hiding After
God I'm Safe'
Apr 7, 2021 6:50 AM CDT
NRA's LaPierre on Hiding After Shootings: 'Thank God I'm Safe'
In deposition, Wayne LaPierre says he was in danger after school shootings, forcing him onto yacht
- The National Rifle Association is trying to get a federal court in Texas to grant it bankruptcy protections, and so far, some "embarrassing details" have trickled out in various depositions, per the
. A new deposition filed over the weekend, however, revealed more than just the organization's...
On Its Way to Texas, NRA
Files for Bankruptcy Protection
Jan 15, 2021 4:35 PM CST
On Its Way to Texas, NRA Files for Bankruptcy Protection
New York is seeking to break up the organization
- The National Rifle Association asked a federal court for bankruptcy protection from its creditors on Friday, saying it plans to restructure as a nonprofit in Texas. The organization now is registered in New York, Reuters reports. In a statement, the NRA said it's leaving "a corrupt political and...
Nov 25, 2020 4:45 PM CST
After Years of Denials, the NRA Fesses Up
Current and former executives have been abusing funds, the nonprofit says
- Looks like NRA execs really have been taking from the cookie jar. After years of denials, the National Rifle Association now admits that current and former executives—including current CEO Wayne LaPierre—recklessly used NRA funds for their personal enrichment, the
reports. According to a 2019 tax filing,...
Former No. 2 at NRA
Issues Scathing Critique
Sep 3, 2020 7:46 PM CDT
Former No. 2 at NRA Issues Scathing Critique
In new book, Joshua Powell backs red-flag laws and background checks
- The NRA is more concerned with money than defending the Second Amendment and is run by an executive who's clueless—except for his ability to manipulate President Trump. That's the picture of the gun rights organization painted in a new book by Joshua Powell, the NRA's No....
Trump Has Advice for NRA
After Big Lawsuit
Aug 6, 2020 4:07 PM CDT
Trump Has Advice for NRA After Big Lawsuit
Move to Texas, he suggests
- As its future began to look even more litigious Thursday, President Trump had a suggestion for the National Rifle Association. "I think the NRA should move to Texas and lead a very good and beautiful life," he said. "And I've told them that for a long...
New York Sues
to Dissolve the NRA
Aug 6, 2020 10:47 AM CDT
New York Sues to Dissolve the NRA
State attorney general Letitia James alleges widespread fraud
- New York's attorney general filed a lawsuit Thursday that calls for the dissolution of the NRA. Letitia James sued the National Rifle Association, seeking to put the powerful gun advocacy organization out of business over allegations that high-ranking executives diverted millions of dollars for lavish personal trips, no-show contracts...
: NRA Chief
Told Trump to
'Stop the Games'
on Gun Laws
Sep 28, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
: NRA Chief Told Trump to 'Stop the Games' on Gun Laws
NRA confirms meeting took place, denies Wayne LaPierre offered 'special arrangements' to Trump
- A scathing Senate report claiming the National Rifle Association acted as a "foreign asset" for Russia wasn't the only headline the gun lobby group ended up in this week. The
New York Times
reports that NRA chief Wayne LaPierre met with President Trump on Friday at the White...
A $6M Mansion for the
NRA's CEO Was ... Whose Idea?
Aug 7, 2019 7:17 AM CDT
A $6M Mansion for the NRA's CEO Was ... Whose Idea?
The NRA and its former ad agency tell conflicting stories
- That NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre scoped out a $6 million Dallas mansion as a possible new residence isn't being contested. What is: Whose idea it was and where the money was going to come from. The
Wall Street Journal
are out with stories about the potential...
Leaked Documents Add
to Drama at NRA
May 12, 2019 4:29 PM CDT
Leaked Documents Add to Drama at NRA
They detail large spending on clothes and travel by chief exec Wayne LaPierre
- The leadership drama at the NRA just got worse with leaked documents. Among other things, they detail large expenditures on clothing and travel by chief executive Wayne LaPierre, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. For instance, $39,000 for a single day of shopping at a clothing shop in Beverly Hills,...
Fends Off NRA Backlash
Apr 30, 2019 2:33 AM CDT
Wayne LaPierre Fends Off NRA Backlash
He was re-elected as CEO despite internal strife
- The National Rifle Association, facing internal turmoil over its financial management, increasingly partisan tone, and legal threats from government regulators, beat back efforts to overhaul its operations Monday. Wayne LaPierre, the public face of the gun lobbying group for decades, fended off a backlash and was re-appointed as the gun...
Amid NRA's Rift,
Apr 28, 2019 7:06 AM CDT
Amid NRA's Rift, NY Announces Investigation
AG Letitia James says her office is investigating organization's finances
- New York state's attorney general has begun an investigation into the finances of the National Rifle Association, reports the AP . "The Office of New York State Attorney General Letitia James has launched an investigation related to the National Rifle Association (NRA)," her rep said Saturday. "As...
Apr 27, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
Oliver North: I'm Not Coming Back
The NRA's president says he won't seek a second term
- Retired Lt. Col. Oliver North said Saturday that he will not serve a second term as the president of the National Rifle Association amid inner turmoil in the gun-rights group, the AP reports. In a statement read to members of the group Saturday, North said he believes a committee should...
NRA CEO Slams
'Offer I Couldn't
Apr 27, 2019 6:00 AM CDT
NRA CEO Slams 'Offer I Couldn't Refuse' From NRA President
Wayne LaPierre says Oliver North is trying to extort him
- Wayne LaPierre says he was recently made "an offer I couldn't refuse"—but "I refused it." Per the
Wall Street Journal
, the CEO and executive vice president of the National Rifle Association delivered a stunning letter to the NRA's board Thursday, one that revealed...
Feb 22, 2018 2:33 PM CST
NRA: 'Harden Our Schools,' Fear 'Socialist' Democrats
NRA breaks silence after Parkland, targets media, gun-control advocates
- "Many in legacy media love mass shootings," NBC News quotes NRA spokesperson Dana Loesch as saying Thursday at the Conservative Political Action Conference. "You love the ratings. Crying white mothers are ratings gold." A week after 17 people were killed at a school shooting in...
NRA Says No
to Banning Bump Stocks
Oct 8, 2017 1:50 PM CDT
NRA Says No to Banning Bump Stocks
Stephen Paddock used the device to murder 58 people
- Any hopes that the NRA would be supporting legislation banning so-called "bump stocks" following the massacre last week in Las Vegas were likely dashed when representatives from the group told the Sunday political shows that their group is merely open to "regulating differently" the device that allows a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
It's the Most Imaginative Technical Foul of the Year
Little-Known Syndrome More Common Than Realized
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.