Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Actor Charged in $96K
Workers' Comp Fraud
Jul 12, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Actor Charged in $96K Workers' Comp Fraud
Q'orianka Kilcher of 'Yellowstone' allegedly claimed injury kept her from work, despite just finishing job
- Q'orianka Kilcher, an actor who had a breakout role as Pocahontas in 2005's
The New World
, is said to have collected nearly $100,000 in a case of workers' compensation fraud. The 32-year-old of North Hollywood allegedly injured her neck and right shoulder in October 2018 while working...
New York State Fines
Jan 12, 2019 1:30 PM CST
New York State Fines Ocasio-Cortez Campaign
Her campaign lacked workers' compensation for a month
- The campaign of US Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has been fined $1,500 for not having the required workers' compensation for a month last year, the AP reports. A spokeswoman for the New York state Workers' Compensation Board, Melissa Stewart, said Friday that Ocasio-Cortez's Democratic campaign lacked coverage from March...
Paramedic's Mom Died
in His Arms. He Can't
Get Workers' Comp
Jul 12, 2017 9:16 AM CDT
Paramedic's Mom Died in His Arms. He Can't Get Workers' Comp
Quebec's Olivier Mireault was on a work call—but he responded before shift started
- In November, Quebec paramedic Olivier Mireault responded to a call at his mom's house. The 63-year-old ended up dying in her son's arms of an aortic aneurysm rupture after he couldn't revive her. "I said, 'This can't be real. Someone wake me up,'...
Aug 1, 2016 9:03 AM CDT
Japanese Literally Work Themselves to Death
'Karoshi' demises are often from suicide, heart attack, or stroke
- Work-life balance is the American worker's goal, but for Japanese employees, work and life may be one and the same. The
takes a look at Japan's toil-til-you-drop culture, where 12-hour days are typical and there's even a word ("karoshi") that means "death...
Why a Big Toe Is Worth $6K
in California, $90K in Oregon
Mar 5, 2015 4:10 PM CST
Why a Big Toe Is Worth $6K in California, $90K in Oregon
State payouts on body parts are way out of whack, investigation reveals
- Anyone with the misfortune to lose a limb on the job at least gets a decent workers' comp payout, right? Actually, it all depends on where they live, reports ProPublica and NPR . Here's a crazy example of what the joint investigation calls this "geographic lottery": Jeremy Lewis and...
Court: Workers' Comp
Justified Over Kickball Game
Aug 27, 2014 6:00 PM CDT
Court: Workers' Comp Justified Over Kickball Game
Employee got injured at company game, can collect
- If the company softball or kickball game gets a little too violent, the South Carolina Supreme Court says you may be entitled to workers' compensation. The court today ruled that Stephen Whigham, who was injured in his firm's kickball game, is entitled to workers' compensation benefits because he was...
Employee Hurt During Sex Won't Get Workers' Comp
Oct 30, 2013 5:04 PM CDT
Employee Hurt During Sex Won't Get Workers' Comp
Case reached Australia's highest court
- In the just-so-you-know department: Getting injured while having sex on a business trip does not qualify you for workers' comp benefits. Or at least that's how things roll in Australia, where a crazy case managed to reach the nation's highest court, reports Bloomberg . It started in 2007, when...
Wants Workers' Comp
Jul 26, 2013 1:51 PM CDT
Pepper-Spraying Cop Wants Workers' Comp
John Pike, since fired, claims psychiatric injury
- The University of California cop who gained notoriety during the Occupy protests by methodically pepper-spraying a group of student protesters says he's a victim, too. John Pike, who got fired from the university force after the incident, claims he suffered psychiatric injury and is due workers' comp, reports the...
Apr 19, 2012 12:45 PM CDT
Woman Hurt During Sex Wins Workers' Comp Suit
It's an 'ordinary incident of life,' rules judge in Australia
- It might not be the stuff of workers' rights fights of yore, but it's still a victory. Of sorts. An Australian judge has ruled that a woman who got injured during sex is entitled to workers' comp, reports news.com.au . It seems she was out of town on...
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.