Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Impulsive Much? You're Probably Selfish, Too
Scientists find your ability to see others' point of view is related to self-control
- If your level of self-control involves spending like Paris Hilton on trust-fund day or needing to be physically restrained at an all-you-can-eat buffet, well, chances are that you also spend a fair amount of time navel-gazing and you have a hard time imagining what it's like from someone else'...
Being Near Fancy Stores Makes Us Selfish Jerks
People on streets with high-end stores are considerably less likely to help a stranger in need
- If you ever find yourself relying on the kindness of strangers, you'd best hope you're not on a street lined with upscale shops. So conclude French researchers in a study titled, "'Wrong place to get help': A field experiment on luxury stores and helping behavior,"...
Hey, America: We're All Getting More Selfish
Opinions on ObamaCare prove it: Christopher Flavelle
- The number of Americans who think the government should ensure everyone's access to health care is falling, from a peak of 69% in 2006 to just 42% this year. "It's tempting to see that as an indictment against ObamaCare, but it might just mean more Americans are...
Evolution Frowns on Selfish Jerks
They're doomed in the long run, study says
- It took a study involving hundreds of thousands of game simulations and fancy phrases such as "zero-determinant strategy" to prove mom's advice was right all along: Be nice. The study by researchers at Michigan State University found that cooperation trumps selfishness when it comes to self-preservation, reports the...
America Is Filled With Self-Centered Jerks
Frank Bruni: Individualism trumps the public good these days
- Want to know what's wrong with America? Frank Bruni advises checking out the advice of best-selling "personal improvement guru" Tim Ferriss. If you're flying anywhere, Ferriss advises putting an unloaded starter pistol in your luggage. Sure, it will cause TSA extra work, but your luggage will be...
Popular on Newser
UPS: We Found Tucker Carlson's Missing Shipment
In Pennsylvania, a Stall Tactic Could Lift Trump to Victory
One of the Final Places Without COVID Reports First Cases
AOC 'Cautious About Words' When Answering One Question
An 'Unprecedented' Ransomware Assault Is Underway
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.