Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Watchdog: Zinke Misused
Position Then Lied About It
Feb 16, 2022 12:36 PM CST
Watchdog: Zinke Misused Position Then Lied About It
Feds say former Interior Secretary didn't break from foundation as promised
- Former Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke misused his position to advance a development project in his Montana hometown and lied to an agency ethics official about his involvement, according to a report from federal investigators released Wednesday. The investigation by the Interior Department's inspector general found that Zinke continued working...
Days Into New Job, Interior
Chief Faces Ethics Inquiry
Apr 16, 2019 8:57 AM CDT
Days Into New Job, Interior Chief Faces Ethics Inquiry
Watchdog opens investigation into David Bernhardt after Democrats complain
- Less than one week into his new job, the Interior Department chief is facing an internal ethics investigation. The department's inspector general announced the inquiry into David Bernhardt after receiving complaints from eight Democratic senators as well as environmental groups, reports the
. Bernhardt is a former gas...
Dec 16, 2018 7:17 AM CST
Zinke's Resignation Letter Faults 'Vicious' Attacks
Soon-to-be former Interior secretary's last day will be Jan. 2
- Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke will be leaving the administration at year's end, and in his resignation letter, obtained by the AP , he faults "vicious and politically motivated attacks" against him for his exit. They've "created an unfortunate distraction" in fulfilling the agency's mission, he continued....
Ryan Zinke Out as
Dec 15, 2018 8:30 AM CST
Ryan Zinke Out as Interior Secretary
A replacement will be named next week, per President Trump
- Late last month, Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva penned an op-ed asking Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke to step down from his post due to a swirl of "scandals and nepotism." It looks like Grijalva is getting his wish: Per Bloomberg , sources reported that Zinke told the White House he'...
Zinke Didn't Like an Op-Ed
on Him. Things Got Personal
Nov 30, 2018 1:43 PM CST
Zinke Didn't Like an Op-Ed on Him. Things Got Personal
Interior secretary accuses Rep. Raul Grijalva of alcohol abuse, using tax dollars as 'hush money'
- A scathing opinion piece on Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, penned by a Democrat on the House Natural Resources Committee and published Friday by
, has caught Zinke's attention—and he's offering some eyebrow-raising "thoughts" of his own online. The op-ed by Arizona Rep. Raul Grijalva asked...
Zinke Signs Mining
Ban Near Yellowstone
Oct 9, 2018 12:04 AM CDT
Zinke Signs Mining Ban Near Yellowstone
'There are places to mine and places not to mine'
- Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke approved a 20-year ban on new mining claims in the towering mountains north of Yellowstone National Park on Monday after two proposed gold mines raised concerns that an area drawing tourists from the around the globe could be spoiled. As Zinke signed the mineral ban at...
Bad News, Bears:
Obama-Era Rule on
May 23, 2018 9:35 AM CDT
Bad News, Bears: Obama-Era Rule on Hunting Reversed
New rule to allow bear baiting, spotlights for shooting in dens called 'unethical' by critics
- The Trump administration is looking to dismantle Obama-era rules that made it more difficult to hunt on federal lands, including through the banning of bacon, honey, and doughnuts as bear bait. The 2015 rule also barred the use of dogs to hunt bears, spotlights to shoot bear cubs in dens,...
Zinke Tried to
Say 'Hello.' He
Mar 16, 2018 7:34 AM CDT
Zinke Tried to Say 'Hello.' He Should've Stuck to English
Interior secretary slammed for acting 'juvenile' at hearing on Japanese-American internment camps
- Perhaps Ryan Zinke wanted to show off his foreign language skills at a hearing Thursday, but it ended with reprimands in very plain English. Politico and HuffPost report the Interior secretary attended a gathering of the House Natural Resources Committee and was asked about a commitment to $2 million in...
at Interior Dept.
Mar 8, 2018 6:04 PM CST
$139K for 'Secretary's Door' Raises Questions at Interior Dept.
Zinke spokesperson isn't commenting on work order
- Records show the Interior Department spent nearly $139,000 last year for construction at the agency that was labeled on a work order as "Secretary's Door," the AP reports. A spokesperson for Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke did not provide answers Thursday to questions about whether changes had...
Shrinking National Monument
Was About Oil After All: Report
Mar 2, 2018 8:08 PM CST
Shrinking National Monument Was About Oil After All: Report
NYT gets Interior Department emails that contradict Secretary Ryan Zinke
- "Bears Ears isn't really about oil and gas," Interior Department Secretary Ryan Zinke said at a news conference in May 2017. Evidence from over 25,000 pages of department emails obtained by the
New York Times
shows that wasn't necessarily true. Last year President Trump called...
75% of National Parks
Panel Quits in Protest
Jan 17, 2018 6:43 AM CST
75% of National Parks Panel Quits in Protest
They say Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke has yet to meet with them
- "I wish the National Park System and Service well." It's a goodbye, but not just any goodbye: They're parting words from the chair of the National Park System Advisory Board , who was one of nine members to suddenly resign in protest on Monday. The federally chartered...
Zinke Abruptly Changes Course
on Florida Offshore Drilling
Jan 10, 2018 12:20 AM CST
Zinke Abruptly Changes Course on Florida Offshore Drilling
He now says it's 'off the table'
- The Trump administration said Tuesday it wouldn't allow oil drilling off the coast of Florida, abruptly reversing course under pressure from Republican Gov. Rick Scott. Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke said after a brief meeting with Scott in Tallahassee that drilling will be "off the table" when it comes...
Trump Plans to Open 90%
of Offshore Land to Drilling
Jan 4, 2018 2:18 PM CST
Trump Plans to Open 90% of Offshore Land to Drilling
'Beyond reckless,' says one environmentalist
- In a move environmental groups are calling "absolutely radical" and "beyond reckless," the Trump administration is planning the largest sale on leases for offshore drilling in US history. CNBC reports the proposal, announced Thursday by Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke, would open 90% of the US'...
Patagonia Owner Sues Over
Bears Ears: I Won't Let 'Evil' Win
Dec 7, 2017 5:21 AM CST
Patagonia Owner Sues Over Bears Ears: I Won't Let 'Evil' Win
Company sues to keep Trump administration from slashing national monument by 85%
- Go to Patagonia's website and you're greeted with a message Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke has deemed "nefarious" : "The President Stole Your Land." The California company is referring to President Trump's move to shrink the Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante national monuments in Utah, but...
Zinke: Patagonia's Claim
About Trump Is 'Nefarious'
Dec 5, 2017 3:45 PM CST
Zinke: Patagonia's Claim About Trump Is 'Nefarious'
Interior secretary calls it a 'lie'
- Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke is strongly disputing a claim by outdoor retailer Patagonia that President Trump "stole" public land by shrinking two national monuments in Utah. Zinke calls the claim—made in large type on the company's home page—"nefarious, false and a lie." Zinke said...
Puerto Rico Scraps $300M
Contract to Small US Firm
Oct 29, 2017 3:40 PM CDT
Puerto Rico Scraps $300M Contract to Small US Firm
Whitefish Energy only had two employees when Hurricane Maria hit the island
- A lucrative but controversial contract awarded to a tiny US company to restore power to Puerto Rico is no more. Puerto Rico pulled the plug on the $300 million deal Sunday, hours after Gov. Ricardo Rossello called for the move, reports the
. The contract between the Puerto Rico...
Firm With 2 Full-Time Workers
Lands $300M Puerto Rico Deal
Oct 24, 2017 12:05 PM CDT
Firm With 2 Full-Time Workers Lands $300M Puerto Rico Deal
Tiny Whitefish Energy happens to be financed by a big supporter of President Trump
- A tiny for-profit company out of Montana has landed a $300 million contract to help get the power back on in Puerto Rico, reports the
. How tiny? Whitefish Energy had just two full-time employees on the day Hurricane Maria slammed into the island. However, the company suggests that figure...
Interior Secretary Zinke
Has an Unusual Flag Habit
Oct 13, 2017 8:39 AM CDT
Interior Secretary Zinke Has an Unusual Flag Habit
He adheres to old Navy ritual in which his flag is raised when he's physically at HQ
- President Trump may be busting some White House traditions , but other members of his administration are adhering to some unusual ones. The
reports on an "arcane" Navy ritual being observed by Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke. Whenever Zinke is physically in the Interior Department's Washington, DC, headquarters,...
Zinke Rips Staff Loyalty, Notes
God's 'Sense of Humor'
Sep 26, 2017 7:54 AM CDT
Zinke Rips Staff Loyalty, Notes God's 'Sense of Humor'
Interior secretary estimates 30% of staff 'not loyal to the flag'
- Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke said Monday that nearly one-third of his department's workers aren't loyal to him and President Trump, adding that he's working to change the regulatory culture to be more business friendly. Zinke, an ex-Navy SEAL, said he knew when he took over the 70,...
Interior Chief Wants to Shrink
6 National Monuments
Sep 18, 2017 8:55 AM CDT
Interior Chief Wants to Shrink 6 National Monuments
Bears Ears and Grand Staircase Escalante in Utah would be reduced under plan
- Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke is recommending that six of 27 national monuments under review by the Trump administration be reduced in size, with changes to several others proposed, per the AP . A leaked memo from Zinke to President Trump recommends that two Utah monuments—Bears Ears and Grand Staircase Escalante—...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Before Trip, Petito Worried About Laundrie's 'Episodes'
At Least 6 Killed, 24 Hurt in Parade Mass Shooting
Cheney: 'Trump Can Never Be Near the Oval Office Again'
Teen's Sudden Mental Collapse Ended in a National Park
'Denmark Was Hit by a Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.