Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Sep 30, 2014 1:29 PM CDT
What America Really Needs: Marijuana Bars
Malcolm Harris makes the case for pot hangouts as an 'urban-planning win-win'
- Malcolm Harris doesn't have a problem with more bars —he just thinks those bars should sell pot, not alcohol. In an opinion piece for Al-Jazeera America , Harris offers his take on how marijuana bars would give Americans more palatable gathering spaces with fewer health risks, creating an "...
No Big Winner
in Budget Deal
Dec 11, 2013 12:32 PM CST
No Big Winner in Budget Deal
But are 'fees' just tax hikes?
- A budget deal agreed upon by the House and Senate has come early , and it may prevent another shutdown—but pundits aren't exactly cheering about it. Among the responses:
At Slate , Matthew Yglesias says the plan will "improve the economy moderately and it achieves the GOP’s goal
Working or Not,
Dec 3, 2013 1:40 PM CST
Working or Not, HealthCare.gov Has Ruined Everything
Matthew Yglesias reflects on the damage to the progressive cause
- HealthCare.gov is working . Sort of . And certainly, some Democrats will take heart in that. But so what? Even if the modest fixes have saved the site and the law—as Dana Milbank argued today in the
—the problems have already done serious, lasting damage to the...
What Sequester Is,
and Why It Is Stupid
Jan 31, 2013 11:33 AM CST
What Sequester Is, and Why It Is Stupid
Matthew Yglesias breaks down the looming spending cuts
- Hey, politics watchers: Are you ready for another utterly avoidable budget crisis with the potential to arbitrarily wreck the economy? Well, good news! The "sequester"—a trillion dollars in spending cuts that no one actually wants—is barreling towards us, and apparently no one intends to stop it...
Nov 29, 2012 11:49 AM CST
Grand Bargain Is Impossible, Dangerous
Matthew Yglesias on the inanity of the fiscal cliff talks
- Back during the Bush years, the faction in Congress advocating a "grand bargain" on America's long-term budget deficit was "an amusing curiosity," writes Matthew Yglesias over at Slate . But with the fiscal cliff looming, "they've become actively dangerous." The only way to avoid...
Popular on Newser
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
Family Dies in 'Heartbreaking Tragedy' at Canadian Border
Mitch McConnell Contrasts Black Voters, American Voters
Meat Loaf Dead at 74
British Doctor Visiting US Shot Dead in Bed
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.