Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Scientists to Explore a
Deep Blue Hole Off Florida
Jul 23, 2020 7:56 AM CDT
Scientists to Explore a Deep Blue Hole Off Florida
Scientists to scour 425-foot-deep 'Green Banana' starting next month
- Scientists are on the hunt for undiscovered phenomenon inside a 425-foot-deep "blue hole" off the Florida coast. Little is known about such holes, which are similar to sink holes on land and are "scattered across Florida's Gulf continental shelf" but very difficult to access, according to the...
In Famed Oceanic
Hole, a Chilling
in case you missed it
Apr 6, 2019 11:45 AM CDT
In Famed Oceanic Hole, a Chilling Discovery
2 bodies discovered during expedition into Great Blue Hole by Cousteau's grandson
- Belize's Great Blue Hole was popularized by underwater explorer Jacques Cousteau in a 1971 episode of his series,
The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau.
But what was at the bottom of the 410-foot-deep ocean sinkhole, which formed as a limestone cave thousands of years ago before rising sea levels...
'Blue Hole' Has
Jul 26, 2016 11:59 AM CDT
Planet's Deepest 'Blue Hole' Has Been Found
Scientists announce discovery in South China Sea
- "Blue holes" are mystifying to look at, the large, deep pits appearing a shade of blue that's just as deep and in stark contrast to the shallow waters around them. And what we've long considered the planet's deepest—the 663-foot Dean's Blue Hole in the...
'Blue Hole' May Hold
Secret to Mayan Collapse
Dec 26, 2014 2:39 PM CST
'Blue Hole' May Hold Secret to Mayan Collapse
Long drought may have led to civilization's collapse—and proof may be in sediment
- Everything from overhunting and a peasant uprising to deforestation and an alien invasion has been proposed to explain why the Mayan civilization collapsed,
notes. But one theory has been gaining ground in recent years: extreme drought. Now more evidence has surfaced to support the drought postulation—and the proof...
Get to Explore
Sep 14, 2013 10:52 AM CDT
Divers Finally Get to Explore 'Blue Hole' Mystery Cave
New Mexico site has been sealed for nearly 40 years
- The last divers to venture into an underwater cave known as the "Blue Hole" in New Mexico were from the state police in 1976, and they were there to retrieve the bodies of two young divers who died while exploring. Upon exiting, the police divers sealed the opening with...
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
Cops Chasing Stolen Forklift Find Surprise Driver
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.