Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
switched at birth
80-Year-Old Men Believe They Were Switched at Birth, Sue
John William Carr III, Jackie Lee Spencer sue diocese that ran the hospital
- Two men who believe they were switched at birth nearly 80 years ago are suing a Roman Catholic diocese in West Virginia, alleging negligence and breach of duty by the hospital where they were born. John William Carr III and Jackie Lee Spencer were born Aug. 29, 1942, at St....
A Search for Ancestors Reveals She Had Been Swapped at Birth
Women discover they were switched at birth
- A fun foray into finding out more about her ancestry through a popular genealogy website led to a shocking revelation for 72-year-old Denice Juneski: She wasn't related to any of her own relatives—at least not the ones she'd grown up knowing. KARE reports that as Minnesota's...
Did Someone at Hospital Switch Multiple Babies on Purpose?
Police launch investigation into two 41-year-old cases at Canadian hospital
- The Royal Canadian Mounted Police are investigating after revelations that two different sets of babies—at least—were switched at birth at the same hospital 41 years ago, the AP reports. "The RCMP has an obligation to the families involved and to the public to determine if the incidents...
2nd Switched-at-Birth Case Found in Same Hospital
Canadian men discovered the truth after 41 years
- Two 41-year-old men in Manitoba, Canada, have been devastated to discover that they were raised by the wrong families after having been switched at birth by a hospital that mixed up at least two other babies the same year. Leon Swanson and David Tait Jr. were born three days apart...
Baby Switched at Birth Is Finally Home
Family returns to the US from El Salvador
- A year after traveling to El Salvador so Mercedes Casanella could give birth in her home country, Casanella and her husband Richard Cushworth are back home in Texas to stay—with the right baby. The couple initially returned to the US after the birth, only to discover, after getting suspicious...
Childhood Friends Discover They Were Switched at Birth
DNA test confirms decades of rumors and jokes
- Two childhood friends made a startling discovery that has changed everything they thought they knew about themselves and their families: They were switched at birth. The CBC reports Luke Monias and Norman Barkman were born on the same June day in 1975 at the Norway House Indian Hospital in Manitoba....
Mom Who Thought Hospital Gave Her Wrong Baby Was Right
Boys handed over to real parents in El Salvador, 4 months after birth
- Two infants are back in the hands of their parents four months after authorities say they were switched at birth. Richard Cushworth and Mercedes Casanella of Dallas, Texas, visited El Salvador to give birth to their child in Casanella's home country in May. But Cushworth says the happy occasion...
Mom Meets Daughter She Was Told Died 50 Years Ago
76-year-old Zella Jackson Price says Melanie Gilmore was taken right after birth
- On November 25, 1965, Zella Jackson Price gave birth to a baby girl at Homer G. Phillips Hospital in St. Louis, her granddaughter says. What allegedly happened in the hours after that is both confusing and dreadful: Price, a gospel singer, says she was told by a nurse the baby...
Babies Switched at Birth in 1994 Awarded $2M
Each girl gets $450K, families get the rest
- The families of two girls switched at birth in 1994 have been awarded damages—though not nearly as much as they sought. Sophie Serrano's daughter was switched with another infant when both little girls were placed in an incubator at a French hospital shortly after birth. The families discovered...
Families Sue Over Girls Switched at Birth—in 1994
The swap was confirmed a decade ago
- In July 1994, Sophie Serrano's newborn was put in a hospital incubator as part of the infant's treatment for jaundice. Baby Manon wasn't alone: A second baby girl suffering from jaundice shared the incubator. When the French girls were removed, they were accidentally switched by a nurse...
Inside the Battle Over Girls, 4, Switched at Birth
In latest development, court-appointed expert says not to switch them back
- On a day in 2010, two South African mothers each gave birth to a girl at a Johannesburg-area hospital—but they unknowingly took the other's child home after nurses mistakenly switched them. The error came to light last year, when one of the mothers sued her former partner for...
Guy Switched at Birth Gets $317K to Make Up for It
He was born to rich family, but ended up raised in poverty
- Imagine it: You're raised in a tiny apartment by a single mom and grow up to be a truck driver ... only to find out you were actually born to a wealthy family and accidentally switched at birth, and the baby raised in your place grew up to be the...
2 New Moms Sent Home With Wrong Babies
Women in Argentina figured it out themselves after 3 weeks
- Two new mothers in Argentina would still be caring for the wrong infants if they hadn't acted on their suspicions. As it was, they took home the wrong babies and cared for them for three weeks thanks to a clinic mixup, reports AFP . The women gave birth on Sept....
Women, 56, Discover They Were Switched at Birth
'Swisters' become friends after Oregon hospital's mix-up revealed
- Two women's lives have been turned upside down since they discovered they were switched at birth 56 years ago, the
reports. Kay Qualls and DeeAnn Shafer—whose parents are now deceased—decided to go for DNA testing last summer after an elderly former neighbor contacted one of the...
Popular on Newser
Museum Visitor Realizes Where Long-Lost Painting Is
Trump's Twitter Password Was Pretty Easy to Guess
See the Moment Trump Ends 60 Minutes Interview
Democrats Use Visual Stunt as Barrett Vote Proceeds
Giuliani on That Borat Scene: 'I Was Tucking In My Shirt'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.