Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
University of North Carolina
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Thrill-a-Minute Game,
UNC Beats Archrival Duke
Apr 3, 2022 5:21 AM CDT
In Thrill-a-Minute Game, UNC Beats Archrival Duke
Mike Krzyzewski's career ends with 81-77 loss
- For the 48th time over 47 years of unparalleled coaching, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski took the slow walk to midcourt and shook the hand of North Carolina's coach who beat him. This was the 258th, most consequential and maybe, just maybe, the very best meeting between these teams, whose...
1619 Creator Says Goodbye
to UNC, Hello to Howard
Jul 6, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
1619 Creator Says Goodbye to UNC, Hello to Howard
After tenure controversy is settled, Nikole Hannah-Jones to head to HBCU in DC instead
- After much controversy, Nikole Hannah-Jones finally got tenure from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, but her words upon hearing that news didn't sound especially promising: She noted she needed some time to "determine what is the best way forward." This week, that way forward was made...
1619 Project Creator
Gets Tenure After All
Jul 1, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
1619 Project Creator Gets Tenure After All
Nikole Hannah-Jones still deciding 'the best way forward'
- She got tenure in the end. A day before Nikole Hannah-Jones' teaching job at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill was set to begin, the board of trustees voted 9-4 to grant tenure to the award-winning journalist and creator of the 1619 Project, appointed as the Knight Chair in Race...
1619 Project Creator Makes
Decision on Teaching Job
Jun 23, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
1619 Project Creator Makes Decision on Teaching Job
Nikole Hannah-Jones cites 'political interference,' won't teach at UNC-Chapel Hill without tenure
- Nikole Hannah-Jones is to teach two courses at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill's journalism school this fall. But she won't be in class unless she gets tenure, according to a letter submitted by the 1619 Project creator's legal team. Others appointed to the Knight Chair in...
Critics of 1619 Project Creator:
Move Against Her Is a 'Travesty'
May 26, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Critics of 1619 Project Creator: Move Against Her Is a 'Travesty'
Professors say board's denial of tenure threatens academic freedom
- Princeton historian Sean Wilentz and politics professor Keith E. Whittington have both been critical of Nikole Hannah-Jones' 1619 Project . Wilentz even penned an article describing the project's "inaccuracies," including the creator's claim that the American Revolution was fought to protect slavery. But if you thought they'...
'A Chilling Effect': 1619 Project
Creator Denied Tenure at UNC
May 20, 2021 8:24 AM CDT
'A Chilling Effect': 1619 Project Creator Denied Tenure at UNC
Insiders say politics was behind unusual decision on Nikole Hannah-Jones
- In what academics say is a highly unusual and "disappointing" move,
New York Times
journalist Nikole Hannah-Jones, creator of the 1619 Project, will not be offered a tenured position at her alma mater, the University of North Carolina. She will instead be offered a five-year contract at the UNC-Chapel...
He Managed a Feat No Other
College Coach Has Done
Apr 1, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
He Managed a Feat No Other College Coach Has Done
UNC's Roy Williams, only coach to win 400 games at 2 schools, is retiring
- The University of North Carolina announced Thursday that Hall of Fame basketball coach Roy Williams is retiring after a 33-year career that includes three national championships, per the AP . The decision comes two weeks after the 70-year-old Williams closed his 18th season with the Tar Heels after a highly successful...
Amid Clusters of COVID Cases,
UNC-Chapel Hill Goes Remote
Aug 18, 2020 2:46 AM CDT
Amid Clusters of COVID Cases, UNC-Chapel Hill Goes Remote
University was just one week into fall semester
- All classes will be online starting Wednesday at UNC-Chapel Hill as a COVID-19 outbreak at the North Carolina university grows, the
News & Observer
reports. The AP notes the campus was just one week into the fall semester when the announcement was made Monday. Students started moving back on campus...
Tweets Caused Uproar
Found Dead at Home
Jul 24, 2020 6:41 AM CDT
Professor Whose Tweets Caused Uproar Found Dead at Home
Mike Adams was days away from retirement
- A controversial University of North Carolina, Wilmington, criminology professor has been found dead at his home days before he was due to retire. Mike Adams reached a settlement with the university last month and agreed to step down amid an uproar over tweets that were denounced as racist and misogynistic,...
Confederate Group Nabs
Statue Toppled at UNC
Nov 28, 2019 9:50 AM CST
Confederate Group Nabs Statue Toppled at UNC
University will create $2.5M trust for preservation of Silent Sam
- Descendants of Confederate soldiers will soon get their hands on a statue of one such soldier, torn from the grounds of the University of North Carolina last year. Protesters at the Chapel Hill campus toppled Silent Sam , erected in 1913 and dedicated to "the sons of the university who...
Shooting Hero Was Hit
Twice, Kept Charging
May 7, 2019 8:34 AM CDT
Shooting Hero Was Hit Twice, Kept Charging
Riley Howell Foundation to benefit other victims of violence
- The chairs still sit side by side in a bedroom decked out in
gear. But the one previously occupied by Riley Howell now carries a note handwritten by his 14-year-old brother: "Reserved for a hero." Laid to rest Sunday with full military honors , the Reserve Officers'...
Motive Unclear, but
a 'Cryptic' Comment
From UNC Suspect
May 2, 2019 1:03 PM CDT
Motive Unclear, but a 'Cryptic' Comment From UNC Suspect
Meanwhile, Riley Howell's body has been returned to his hometown
- Slain UNC Charlotte student Riley Howell was given "a hero's sendoff" Thursday, the AP reports, with a police motorcade escorting his body from Charlotte to the 21-year-old's hometown of Waynesville, NC, 150 miles away. The
reports that people who wanted to give Howell "a hero'...
Suspect Is Named
May 1, 2019 3:19 AM CDT
22-Year-Old UNC Shooting Suspect Is Named
Police say shooter opened fire in campus building, killing 2
- Police have identified the suspect in a fatal campus shooting as a 22-year-old man. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police issued a statement late Tuesday identifying the suspect as Trystan Andrew Terrell. They say he's in custody with charges pending. Authorities say he used a pistol to open fire on students in a...
on Leave Amid
Apr 5, 2019 9:12 AM CDT
Longtime UNC Coach on Leave Amid Controversy
Sylvia Hatchell accused of making remark about 'nooses,' reportedly pressuring hurt players
- For more than 30 years, Sylvia Hatchell has coached women's basketball at the University of North Carolina. Now several players seem ready to defect after parents say Hatchell made "racially inappropriate" remarks and also allegedly forced players to keep shooting hoops even though they were hurt. Per the...
University of North Carolina's
'Silent Sam' Statue Toppled
Aug 21, 2018 1:00 AM CDT
University of North Carolina's 'Silent Sam' Statue Toppled
Protesters used rope to bring down Confederate statue
- A statue dedicated to the memory of Confederate soldiers 105 years ago came crashing to the ground at the University of North Carolina on Monday night. "Silent Sam," a statue of a Confederate soldier donated to the university by the United Daughters of the Confederacy and erected in...
University Text Cuts Claims
About Cancer, the Holocaust
Aug 9, 2018 4:35 PM CDT
University Text Cuts Claims About Cancer, the Holocaust
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill revises a widely read textbook
- The University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill has revised a textbook for a required fitness course that called cancer "a disease of choice" and included a theory asserting Holocaust victims failed to tap into their inner strength, the AP reports. The university released a statement saying revisions to
Speaks: 'I Was a
May 31, 2018 10:55 AM CDT
Cosby Victim Speaks: 'I Was a Limp Noodle'
Andrea Constand opens up in interview with NBC
- "I was crying out inside, in my throat, in my mind, for this to stop and I couldn't do anything," says Andrea Constand, recalling the abuse she suffered at the hands of Bill Cosby in her first interview since the comedian was found guilty of three counts...
It Was a Party Bus Celebration
—Until a Window Opened
May 3, 2018 9:10 AM CDT
It Was a Party Bus Celebration —Until a Window Opened
20-year-old UNC Charlotte student Polly Rogers fell, was fatally stuck by cars
- Students at the University of North Carolina were out celebrating the end of classes Tuesday. But by 10:30pm, the revelry turned to tragedy on a party bus moving through the streets of Charlotte, NC. Police say UNC Charlotte student Polly Rogers died when she fell out of a bus...
5-Year-Old Killed in 'Domestic
Incident' on College Campus
Aug 23, 2017 4:49 PM CDT
5-Year-Old Killed in 'Domestic Incident' on College Campus
The boy's mother is set to be charged with murder
- Authorities say a 34-year-old North Carolina woman will be charged with murder once she's released from the hospital following a "domestic incident" on the UNC-Chapel Hill campus that resulted in the death of her 5-year-old son, WNCN reports. According to the
, the incident happened just before midnight...
UNC Student: Tar Heels
Football Player Raped Me
Sep 13, 2016 6:18 PM CDT
UNC Student: Tar Heels Football Player Raped Me
Warrant issued for Allen Artis' arrest
- A magistrate issued an arrest warrant Tuesday for a North Carolina football player accused of sexual battery and assault on a female student in February, the AP reports. The warrant charges Allen Artis, a 21-year-old junior linebacker from Marietta, Georgia, with two misdemeanors and says he had sex with the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Judge Rules Trump Committed Fraud
We Have a Date for Mass Extinction of Mammals
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.