Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Teen Who Says
Mom Took Her
Using 'Plan D'
Aug 14, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
Teen Who Says Mom Took Her Phone Tweeted Using 'Plan D'
'Dorothy' tapped into the power of her LG smart fridge after she was supposedly grounded
- Where there's a will, there's a way—or, in the case of what appears to be one determined Kentucky teen, where there's a "smart" refrigerator, there's a way. The
reports on the alleged plight of "Dorothy," a self-described 15-year-old who mainly tweets...
Didn't Want It.
Amazon Just Paid
Big Bucks for It
Feb 28, 2018 8:21 AM CST
Didn't Want It. Amazon Just Paid Big Bucks for It
'Smart' doorbell company Ring scooped up for a reported $1B
- Five years ago, Jamie Siminoff left the ABC show
"in tears" after a "smart" doorbell he created was spurned. On Tuesday, Ring, the company he built around that invention, was sold to Amazon in a deal Reuters reports as being worth more than $1 billion—one...
Your Roomba May Be
Up to No Good
Jul 26, 2017 9:30 AM CDT
Your Roomba May Be Up to No Good
iRobot is considering selling consumer info to Amazon, Apple, or Google
- It may be "smart" to put robots to work in your home—but is it wise? Consumers who want the blueprint and contents of their homes kept private may be wary at news coming out of iRobot, which makes the Roomba robotic vacuum. Per the
New York Times
Smart Home Gadget Calls
911 During Domestic Dispute
Jul 9, 2017 4:30 PM CDT
Smart Home Gadget Calls 911 During Domestic Dispute
A question the suspect asked prompted the device to call authorities
- "Did you call the sheriffs?" An ever-listening smart home gadget recorded the suspect of a domestic assault saying those words while house-sitting with his girlfriend and her daughter. And it took them quite literally. ABC News reports that the device (the type isn't specified) contacted local authorities of...
Data Specialist Spends All Day
Getting 'Smart' Kettle to Work
Oct 16, 2016 12:02 PM CDT
Data Specialist Spends All Day Getting 'Smart' Kettle to Work
Twitter heats up before the kettle does
- English data specialist Mark Rittman just wanted hot water for his 9am tea, but one thing led to another and it wasn't until dinnertime that he managed to fully diagnose the problem with his WiFi-enabled "smart" kettle, hack a workaround, and use voice control to tell his kettle...
Google Drops $3.2B on
'Smart Thermostat' Maker
Jan 14, 2014 2:01 AM CST
Google Drops $3.2B on 'Smart Thermostat' Maker
Firm pays $3.2B for Nest
- The Google empire is extending its reach into the heart of people's homes with its acquisition of Nest, a maker of Internet-connected fire alarms and thermostats. Google, which coughed up $3.2 billion in cash for the start-up, says Nest will continue to operate independently, though co-founder Matt Rogers...
Popular on Newser
Biden Calls Fox Reporter After Hot Mic Insult
Virginia's New Republican Governor Making Waves
After Another Attack, a New Subway Warning
Bataclan Survivor 'Shocked' to Find Out What Her Surgeon Did
Yet Another Big Moment for Jeopardy! Champ
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.