Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
May 29, 2014 7:05 AM CDT
Militants Down Ukraine Copter, Kill General
Meanwhile, separatists confirm they're holding EU observers captive
- Rebels in eastern Ukraine shot down a government military helicopter today amid heavy fighting around the city of Slovyansk, killing 14 soldiers including a general, Ukraine's leader said. The separatists used a portable air defense missile to down the chopper, acting President Oleksandr Turchynov told the parliament. An AP...
Vote: Not Much
May 12, 2014 7:43 AM CDT
What's Clear After Ukraine Vote: Not Much
Ukraine president calls sovereignty referendum a 'farce'
- In the wake of eastern Ukraine's vote on independence yesterday, one word is showing up repeatedly in media reports: unclear. The referendum organizers' preliminary results show those who cast a ballot overwhelmingly voted in favor of sovereignty for Donetsk and Luhansk, but beyond that much is uncertain—and even...
Shots Fired as
Ukraine Says It Has
Apr 15, 2014 11:25 AM CDT
Shots Fired as Ukraine Says It Has Retaken Airport
Tanks spotted, but so far no action reported
- Ukraine appears to have at last followed through on its threats to use military force against separatists in the east. Heavy gunfire rang out inside Kramatorsk air base today, Sky News reports. Interim Ukrainian President Oleksander Turchinov announced that Ukrainian troops had retaken the base, driving out the pro-Russian militiamen...
Stage New Attack
Apr 14, 2014 7:31 AM CDT
Ukraine Rebels Ignore Deadline, Stage New Attack
Turchinov's threat of military action looms
- Ukraine's interim president gave pro-Russia militants occupying government buildings in Slaviansk and other eastern Ukraine areas until this morning to get out, or be forced out by the Ukrainian military —and the deadline has passed without the militants leaving. So far, Oleksandr Turchinov has not sent in the...
Obama: No One Wants
'Actual War With Russia'
Mar 20, 2014 7:54 AM CDT
Obama: No One Wants 'Actual War With Russia'
Meanwhile, Ukrainian commander released after ultimatum
- The US won't be sending troops to Crimea anytime soon. President Obama effectively ruled out a military response to Russia's land grab yesterday,
reports. "We do not need to trigger an actual war with Russia," he told KSDK-TV , in an interview ostensibly about raising...
Ukraine Gov't a
'Gang of Fascists,'
Civil War Looms
Mar 11, 2014 7:56 AM CDT
Ousted Prez: Ukraine Gov't a 'Gang of Fascists,' Civil War Looms
Crimea parliament adopts 'declaration of independence'
- Ousted Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovich blasted his country's new government today as a "gang of fascists," saying that it was paving the way toward civil war. Speaking from Russia, Yanukovich said he was still commander-in-chief and that "I will be back in Kiev," and called...
Russia Convoy Rolls;
Ukraine PM Blasts
'Declaration of War'
Mar 2, 2014 6:34 AM CST
Russia Convoy Rolls; Ukraine PM Blasts 'Declaration of War'
Gunmen surround military base in Crimea
- The war of words and the military posturing are only escalating today in Ukraine, where PM Arseniy Yatsenyuk warned Vladimir Putin to call off his troops amid dire warnings that Russia's military advance was akin to "a declaration of war" and that the two nations "are on...
Seize Crimea Parliament
Feb 27, 2014 7:49 AM CST
Pro-Russia Gunmen Seize Crimea Parliament
Hoist Russian flag over barricade
- Ukraine puts its police on high alert after dozens of heavily armed pro-Russia gunmen stormed and seized control of government buildings in Ukraine's Crimea region early today and raised a Russian flag over a barricade. The men occupying the local parliament building did not immediately voice any demands but...
Ukraine Breaks Up Elite Cop Unit Accused of Brutality
Feb 26, 2014 7:27 AM CST
Ukraine Breaks Up Elite Cop Unit Accused of Brutality
As hunt continues for ousted president Yanukovich
- Ukraine's elite Berkut anti-riot police unit has been disbanded by the country's acting interior minister after the unit was accused of brutality and blamed for the deaths of protesters. Arsen Avakov said he will give more details about what will happen to the 4,000 to 5,000...
New Gov't Delayed,
Fear Is a Split
Feb 25, 2014 7:47 AM CST
New Gov't Delayed, Ukraine's Growing Fear Is a Split
As everyone tries to figure out where Yanukovich fled to
- Viktor Yanukovich isn't the only thing absent in Kiev. There's also no new government, something that interim leader Oleksandr Turchinov had indicated would be in place today. That timeline has now been pushed to Thursday, with Turchinov saying more time was needed to ensure a "coalition of...
Feb 24, 2014 7:54 AM CST
Ukraine Hunts Ex-Leader on Mass Murder Arrest Warrant
US warns Russia against intervention
- Ousted Ukraine President Viktor Yanukovich is now officially a fugitive from justice, just two days after the country's parliament voted to remove him from office . The country's interim interior minister has issued an arrest warrant accusing the ex-leader of "mass murder of peaceful citizens" over the deaths...
Popular on Newser
Archbishop to Pelosi: No More Communion for You
Finland Won't Pay Gas Company in Rubles. Russia Hits Back
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Tech Bigwig Was on Call on How to Contest Trump's Loss
Australia Just Voted Out Its Prime Minister
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.