Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Internet Regulation, Buh-Bye
Oct 1, 2019 1:17 PM CDT
Internet Regulation, Buh-Bye
The FCC was mostly lawful in repealing net neutrality, an appeals court rules
- Net neutrality champions suffered a major blow Tuesday—but not a total loss. A federal appeals court ruled that the FCC's decision to ditch net neutrality rules in 2017 was in fact lawful, the
reports. But the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit...
Calif. Just OK'd
in the US
Oct 1, 2018 7:01 AM CDT
Calif. Just OK'd Strongest Net Neutrality Law in the US
Trump administration immediately sued
- California Gov. Jerry Brown approved the nation's strongest net neutrality law Sunday, prompting a lawsuit by the Trump administration and opening the next phase in the battle over internet regulation. Net neutrality advocates hope the law—which Brown signed to stop internet providers from favoring certain content or sites,...
California Just Made
a Big Move on Web Traffic
Sep 1, 2018 6:04 AM CDT
California Just Made a Big Move on Web Traffic
Passes toughest net neutrality law in the nation, setting up fight with the feds; on governor's desk
- California is once again sticking a thumb in the eye of the Trump administration, this time over net neutrality. Lawmakers on Friday passed the toughest net neutrality law in the nation, less than a year after the feds did away with such rules, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. The measure...
Calif. Fire Chief: Verizon Slowed
Our Data as We Fought Blaze
Aug 22, 2018 1:45 PM CDT
Calif. Fire Chief: Verizon Slowed Our Data as We Fought Blaze
Led to 'significant impact on our ability to provide emergency services,' lawsuit declaration says
- Anxiety over how the absence of net neutrality rules could affect things has manifested itself in California. Ars Technica reports on a new lawsuit that includes a statement from Santa Clara County Fire Chief Anthony Bowden alleging Verizon throttled the fire department's data services (specifically tied to its vehicle...
How You Can React to
the End of Net Neutrality
Jun 11, 2018 9:25 AM CDT
How You Can React to the End of Net Neutrality
Some recommended steps, including actually caring about 'terms of service' updates
- June 11 isn't just the day that IHOP reveals what IHOb means: It's also the day that net neutrality is officially no more, a move put in place by a December FCC vote . The Obama-era rule forced internet service providers (ISPs) like Comcast and AT&T to treat...
Senate Votes to Restore
May 16, 2018 3:40 PM CDT
Senate Votes to Restore Net Neutrality
But effort will likely 'go nowhere' in the House
- The Senate has voted to kill a Federal Communications Commission rule that repealed the Obama administration's ban on internet providers blocking or slowing down certain content. Back in December, in an effort to deregulate the internet, the FCC repealed "net neutrality" rules that ensured equal treatment for all...
BK Ad Explains Net Neutrality
With a $26 Whopper
Jan 25, 2018 10:20 AM CST
BK Ad Explains Net Neutrality With a $26 Whopper
Some call the ad 'brilliant,' some say it's just another marketing ploy
- If you've tried explaining net neutrality to your friends only to find their eyes glazing over, appeal to their stomachs instead. Per CNNMoney , Burger King's new "Whopper Neutrality" ad , which debuted Wednesday, illustrates the concept through the lens of Whoppers and wait times. In BK's "...
1st US State
Jan 23, 2018 8:41 AM CST
1st US State Intervenes to Allow Net Neutrality
Montana Gov. Steve Bullock signs order in response to FCC repeal
- Montana on Monday became the first state to bar telecommunications companies from receiving state contracts if they "unreasonably interfere" with internet traffic or favor higher-paying sites or apps, under an order from Gov. Steve Bullock intended to protect so-called net neutrality. The Democratic governor's order comes after the...
21 US States
Just Took New
Action on Net
Jan 17, 2018 10:22 AM CST
21 US States Just Took New Action on Net Neutrality
Lawsuit from attorneys general claims FCC broke the law by voting to repeal net neutrality rules
- A lawsuit filed Tuesday claims the FCC broke federal law when it voted to repeal net neutrality rules in a move labeled "arbitrary, capricious and an abuse of discretion," Reuters reports. As promised , a lawsuit filed by 21 state attorneys general, all Democrats, argues the FCC will allow...
Mark Hamill Burns Ted Cruz
in Net Neutrality Debate
Dec 18, 2017 4:04 AM CST
Mark Hamill Burns Ted Cruz in Net Neutrality Debate
'Maybe you're just distracted from watching porn at the office'
- The Force was not with Sen. Ted Cruz on Sunday when he tried to use Star Wars references to win an argument on net neutrality—with Luke Skywalker. BuzzFeed reports that it began Saturday when Mark Hamill tweeted a picture of FCC chair Ajit Pai wielding a lightsaber in a...
Victim of Net Neutrality
Nix: Free Online Porn
Dec 15, 2017 8:20 AM CST
Another Potential Victim of Net Neutrality Nix: Free Online Porn
The porn will still be there—you might just have to pay for it
- Many individuals and groups are displeased with the FCC's ruling Thursday to nix "net neutrality" rules, which kept ISPs from giving preference to or throttling some online content. But one demographic in particular is particularly hot and bothered, per the Independent Journal Review : consumers of internet porn. The...
Left, Right, and Tech
Come Out Against
Net Neutrality Vote
Dec 14, 2017 3:20 PM CST
Left, Right, and Tech Come Out Against Net Neutrality Vote
Lawsuits, legislation already planned to save net neutrality
- That didn't take long. Within minutes of the FCC voting 3-2 to kill Obama-era net neutrality rules, New York Attorney General Eric Schnedierman had announced plans to file a multi-state lawsuit over the decision, which he claims is illegal, Quartz reports. And he wasn't alone. Washington state Attorney...
FCC Votes Down Obama-Era
'Net Neutrality' Rules
Dec 14, 2017 12:35 PM CST
FCC Votes Down Obama-Era 'Net Neutrality' Rules
A 3-2 vote along party lines
- The Federal Communications Commission has voted on party lines to undo sweeping Obama-era "net neutrality" rules that guaranteed equal access to the internet, the AP reports. The agency's Democratic commissioners dissented in the 3-2 vote Thursday. The FCC's new rules could usher in big changes in how...
FCC Will Kill 'Nearly Every Net
Neutrality Rule on the Books'
Nov 22, 2017 6:06 PM CST
FCC Will Kill 'Nearly Every Net Neutrality Rule on the Books'
FCC releases final draft of its plans to undo net neutrality
- The FCC released the final draft of its proposal to end net neutrality on Wednesday, and the Verge reports it gets rid of "nearly every net neutrality rule on the books" while allowing for "blocking, throttling, and paid prioritization" on the part of internet service providers. The proposal...
Big Win for Comcast: FCC
Dismantling 'Net Neutrality'
Nov 21, 2017 11:57 AM CST
Big Win for Comcast: FCC Dismantling 'Net Neutrality'
Chairman's plan giving ISPs more power expected to be approved next month
- Big broadband companies such as Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon scored a big victory on Tuesday: FCC chief Ajit Pai is following through on his pledge to ditch net neutrality. More specifically, Pai has taken a key step toward repealing 2015 regulations designed to ensure that internet service providers treat...
There's a Massive Protest
Jul 12, 2017 2:20 PM CDT
There's a Massive Protest Happening Today—Online
More than 80K websites oppose FCC plan
- There's a massive protest happening Wednesday—and it's taking place entirely online. CNBC reports more than 80,000 websites—including Amazon, Facebook, Google, Netflix, Reddit, Airbnb, and Twitter—are taking part in a "Day of Action" to oppose the FCC's plan to weaken net neutrality protections....
Reporter: I Approached
FCC Official, Was
Pinned to Wall
May 19, 2017 10:06 AM CDT
Reporter: I Approached FCC Official, Was Pinned to Wall
FCC issues apology to John Donnelly of CQ Roll Call
- A veteran reporter says he was "manhandled" by two security guards at an FCC public hearing Thursday in DC after he attempted to ask a follow-up question. CQ Roll Call senior writer John Donnelly says that plainclothes security detail pinned him against the wall with their backs after he...
Rant on FCC,
May 9, 2017 7:03 AM CDT
Minutes After John Oliver Rant on FCC, a 'Cyberattack'
Net neutrality defenders are suspicious
- Not for the first time, John Oliver used his show Sunday as a platform to attack the FCC over net neutrality—specifically FCC Chairman Ajit Pai's plan to scale back net neutrality rules —and encouraged viewers to go to the FCC's website to comment on the issue....
What You Need to Know
About Net Neutrality Fight
Apr 27, 2017 9:01 AM CDT
What You Need to Know About Net Neutrality Fight
New FCC chief Ajit Pai wants to undo rules put in place in 2015
- The concept of "net neutrality" is back in the news, with new FCC chief Ajit Pai laying out his plans to undo rules for internet service providers put in place in 2015, reports Ars Technica . The details are dense, but the general battle lines are drawn: Advocates of the...
Foe as FCC Head
Jan 23, 2017 5:51 PM CST
Trump Picks Net Neutrality Foe as FCC Head
Ajit Pai named as chairman of Federal Communications Commission
- President Donald Trump has picked a fierce critic of the Obama-era "net neutrality" rules to be chief regulator of the nation's airwaves and internet connections, the AP reports. In a statement Monday, Ajit Pai said he was grateful to the president for choosing him as the next chairman...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Arrest Made in Ambush Murder of Microsoft Exec
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
After Boy, 6, Shoots Teacher, Superintendent Shown the Door
Nomination of 12-Year-Old for Worst Actress Causes Backlash
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.