Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dylann Roof Gets Bad
News From Supreme Court
Oct 11, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Dylann Roof Gets Bad News From Supreme Court
Justices reject appeal from gunman who killed 9 in South Carolina church
- The Supreme Court has rejected an appeal from Dylann Roof , who challenged his death sentence and conviction in the 2015 racist slayings of nine members of a Black South Carolina congregation. Roof had asked the court to decide how to handle disputes between capital defendants and their attorneys over evidence...
After Years Undercover Among
Neo-Nazis, He Is 'Haunted'
Feb 6, 2022 3:45 PM CST
After Years Undercover Among Neo-Nazis, He Is 'Haunted'
'Rolling Stone' profiles a retired FBI specialist
- The retired FBI agent profiled in
is identified only as Scott B, for good reason: He spent 25 years undercover, infiltrating biker gangs and the like before moving to the agency's domestic terrorism division. That's when he started posing as a white supremacist to infiltrate gangs...
A Big—and Symbolic—
Settlement in Church Shooting
Oct 28, 2021 1:57 PM CDT
A Big—and Symbolic— Settlement in Church Shooting
Survivors, families of those killed by Dylann Roof will share $88M, a figure linked to white supremacy
- Survivors and the families of victims from a 2015 church massacre in South Carolina have won an $88 million settlement from the federal government—and the figure is no accident. As the AP explains, 88 is a figure linked to the white supremacy movement and is the number of bullets...
Dylann Roof's Request
for New Hearing Rejected
Sep 28, 2021 3:12 PM CDT
Dylann Roof's Request for New Hearing Rejected
His federal death sentence was upheld last month
: A month after a federal appeals court upheld Dylann Roof's conviction and death sentence, his request for a new hearing has been rejected. Roof, who killed nine Black parishioners in a South Carolina church in 2015, asked for a full appellate court to consider his case after a...
May 25, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Roof's Lawyers: Defense 'Breakdown' Merits Death Sentence Nix
Arguments begun Tuesday to overturn SC killer's conviction
- Before white supremacist Dylann Roof was sentenced to death for killing nine Black parishioners at a church in Charleston, SC, he told jurors to "forget" what his lawyers had said about him being mentally ill. Now, the first person sentenced to death for a federal hate crime is asking...
Trump Wades Into Race
Debate With Tweeted Videos
Jun 23, 2020 11:10 AM CDT
Trump Wades Into Race Debate With Tweeted Videos
They show assaults by black men on white victims, and he asks, 'Where are the protesters?'
- President Trump retweeted a pair of videos Tuesday showing assaults by African American men on white victims. "Looks what's going on here," he wrote on one, which shows an assault on an employee inside a Macy's store in Flint, Mich., per Yahoo News . "Where are...
Dylann Roof Gripes on 'Harsh'
Treatment, Does This to Protest
Feb 26, 2020 9:50 AM CST
Dylann Roof Gripes on 'Harsh' Treatment, Does This to Protest
Mass murderer went on hunger strike after he says he was 'targeted by staff' in Indiana federal prison
- In a Feb. 13 letter, mass murderer Dylann Roof told the AP he was "several days" into a hunger strike in protest of "harsh" treatment inside a federal prison in Indiana. The 25-year-old white supremacist said he'd been "targeted by staff," "verbally harassed and...
Appeal: Dylann Roof Thought
He'd Be Freed After Race War
Jan 29, 2020 7:17 AM CST
Appeal: Dylann Roof Thought He'd Be Freed After Race War
White supremacist appeals death penalty, with lawyers faulting judge's move
- White supremacist Dylann Roof on Tuesday appealed his federal convictions and death sentence in the 2015 massacre of nine black church members in South Carolina, arguing that he was mentally ill when he represented himself at his capital trial. In a 321-page legal brief filed with the 4th US Circuit...
She Wrote Letters to Dylann
Roof. Now, a 15-Year Sentence
Nov 22, 2019 12:42 PM CST
She Wrote Letters to Dylann Roof. Now, a 15-Year Sentence
Ohio's Elizabeth Lecron had pleaded guilty to plotting 2 terror attacks
- An Ohio woman fixated on the 1999 mass shooting at Columbine High School, as well as one at a historically black church in Charleston, SC, in 2015, now knows her fate for plotting two terror attacks herself. The US Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Ohio says that...
Bowl Haircut, 'OK' Hand
Gesture Labeled Hate Symbols
Sep 26, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Bowl Haircut, 'OK' Hand Gesture Labeled Hate Symbols
Anti-Defamation League adds them to database
- The "OK" hand gesture, a mass killer's bowl-style haircut, and an anthropomorphic moon wearing sunglasses are among 36 new entries in a Jewish civil rights group's online database of hate symbols used by white supremacists and other far-right extremists, per the AP . The Anti-Defamation League has added...
in 'Upscale Mass
Murder' Plot Was
Dylann Roof Pen Pal
Dec 11, 2018 10:10 AM CST
Woman Accused in 'Upscale Mass Murder' Plot Was Dylann Roof Pen Pal
Ohio's Elizabeth Lecron allegedly planned to bomb a bar
- A woman planning an "upscale mass murder" reached out to Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof before she was arrested Saturday in one of two terror plots near Toledo, Ohio, according to the FBI. "So I guess I'll talk to you when the deed is done? I'm...
Dylann Roof's Sister Arrested
After Disturbing Snapchat Post
Mar 15, 2018 6:58 AM CDT
Dylann Roof's Sister Arrested After Disturbing Snapchat Post
Police say she had weapons on grounds of high school
- From anybody else, it might have passed as just a stupid and ugly comment. From the sister of a racist mass shooter, it was seen as highly disturbing. Morgan Roof, younger sister of convicted killer Dylann Roof, was taken into custody on drug and weapon charges Wednesday after posting on...
Note in Tenn. Church Suspect's
Car Referenced Revenge
Sep 30, 2017 5:00 AM CDT
Note in Tenn. Church Suspect's Car Referenced Revenge
The note could offer a glimpse into Emanuel Kidega Samson's mindset
- A note found in the car of a man charged with spraying deadly gunfire at a Tennessee church made reference to revenge for white supremacist Dylann Roof's massacre at a black church in Charleston, South Carolina, two years earlier, law enforcement officials told the AP . The note could offer...
Wants to Fire His
Sep 19, 2017 12:05 PM CDT
Dylann Roof Wants to Fire His 'Biological Enemies': His Lawyers
His current lawyers are Jewish and Indian
- Dylann Roof, the convicted white supremacist murderer of nine black churchgoers in Charleston, SC, wants to dismiss and replace his legal team because they are his "political and biological enemies," he says in a handwritten letter filed with the 4th US Circuit Court of Appeals Monday. Roof, who'...
Dylann Roof Wouldn't
Tell His Story, So I Did
Aug 21, 2017 11:58 AM CDT
Dylann Roof Wouldn't Tell His Story, So I Did
Rachel Kaadzi Ghansah takes a look at the killer for 'GQ'
- Rachel Kaadzi Ghansah describes SC church shooter Dylann Roof in incredibly detailed and visual language: A burgeoning bald patch "almost made him look like a young, demented monk with a tonsure"; when he spoke in court it "sounded like his mouth was full of Karo syrup." But...
Laughs at Family
in Jailhouse Videos
May 17, 2017 7:01 AM CDT
Dylann Roof Laughs at Family in Jailhouse Videos
He thought white nationalists would rescue him
- In nearly three hours of jailhouse video, South Carolina church shooter Dylann Roof is seen laughing at his family, asking about his cats, and becoming upset when his relatives suggest he should use his lawyers. Federal officials showed the videos to reporters in Charleston on Tuesday. The videos were part...
Dylann Roof Pleads Guilty
to State Murder Charges
Apr 10, 2017 2:24 PM CDT
Dylann Roof Pleads Guilty to State Murder Charges
He'll now await execution in federal case
- Convicted Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof has been given nine life sentences for the 2015 massacre at Emanuel AME Church in exchange for his guilty plea in state court, the AP reports. The plea entered Monday by the self-avowed white supremacist marks the end of his court cases and signals...
Guy Who Knew
Dylann Roof's Plan
Mar 21, 2017 2:02 PM CDT
Guy Who Knew Dylann Roof's Plan Is Sentenced
Joey Meek failed to report crime
- The only person with whom Dylann Roof shared his racist plot to massacre worshippers at a historically black South Carolina church was sentenced Tuesday to 27 months in prison for failing to report a crime and for lying to the FBI. Joey Meek cried at sentencing Tuesday in Charleston by...
GPS Reveals Chilling
2nd Stop by Dylann Roof
Feb 22, 2017 4:03 AM CST
GPS Reveals Chilling 2nd Stop by Dylann Roof
GPS data reveals he went to second church
- GPS information from Dylann Roof's car reveals a chilling detail: He stopped at a second South Carolina church after his massacre, reports ABC affiliate WCIV . When he left Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, Roof got back on the interstate and took an exit that brought him to Branch AME...
'In the Spirit of Dylann Roof':
Feds Make a Chilling Arrest
Feb 17, 2017 9:22 AM CST
'In the Spirit of Dylann Roof': Feds Make a Chilling Arrest
South Carolina's Benjamin McDowell accused of plotting mass shooting
- The FBI busted a South Carolina man after he bought a gun with the alleged intent to pull off a massacre "in the spirit of Dylann Roof." Agents arrested Benjamin McDowell, 29, at a sting in which he thought he was getting a weapon from someone affiliated with...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Western New York Jolted Awake: 'Felt Like a Car Hit My House
Chris Brown Didn't Take His Grammy Loss Well
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.