Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
John Bel Edwards
National Hurricane Center
Has a Dire Warning
Aug 26, 2020 2:38 PM CDT
National Hurricane Center Has a Dire Warning
It says the storm surge from Hurricane Laura will be 'unsurvivable'
- Hurricane Laura is now a Category 4 storm, and it's headed right toward Texas and Louisiana. And the warning that the National Hurricane Center has for some who live in those states is a dire one. It tweeted Wednesday: "Unsurvivable storm surge with large and destructive waves will...
Dems Hand Trump
a Loss in Louisiana
Nov 17, 2019 5:33 AM CST
Dems Hand Trump a Loss in Louisiana
John Bel Edwards narrowly re-elected governor over candidate heavily backed by Trump
- Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards has stunned Republicans again, narrowly winning a second term Saturday as the Deep South’s only Democratic governor and handing President Trump another gubernatorial loss. In the heart of Trump country, the AP reports that the moderate Edwards cobbled together enough cross-party support with a...
Democratic Governor Signs
Louisiana Abortion Legislation
May 30, 2019 5:46 PM CDT
Democratic Governor Signs Louisiana Abortion Legislation
- Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards, a Democrat, signed the state's new legislation restricting abortion into law Thursday. The measure prohibits abortion when a fetal heartbeat is detected, as early as six weeks of pregnancy, and allows no exceptions, per the AP . The state's three clinics that perform abortions...
Tornadoes Destroy Homes,
Injure Dozens in
Feb 8, 2017 12:11 AM CST
Tornadoes Destroy Homes, Injure Dozens in New Orleans
Louisiana declares state of emergency
- Gov. John Bel Edwards declared a state of emergency in Louisiana on Tuesday after a severe storm moved across the state's southeast corner, injuring about 40 people. Edwards said he was heartbroken to see Louisiana families suffering again, the AP reports. He said seven parishes were hit by tornadoes...
More Than 20K Rescued
From Louisiana Floods
Aug 15, 2016 1:15 AM CDT
More Than 20K Rescued From Louisiana Floods
Hundreds had to abandon cars on I-12
- More than 20,000 people were rescued from their homes as rivers swollen from days of heavy rain flooded their banks and wreaked havoc across southern Louisiana, leaving thousands homeless , the AP reports. At least 10,000 people were in shelters Sunday, according to Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards. In...
Video: Guy Saves Woman,
Dog From Sinking Car
Aug 14, 2016 8:24 AM CDT
Video: Guy Saves Woman, Dog From Sinking Car
A bright spot amid 'historic' flooding in Louisiana; 2K people have been rescued
- Three people are dead in Louisiana flooding described by the state's governor as "historic," and that number would easily have been four but for the heroic actions of three men aboard a boat. As WAFB reports, the men came upon a car sinking in the floodwaters Saturday,...
Now Covered by
Hate Crime Law
May 27, 2016 1:27 AM CDT
Louisiana Cops Now Covered by Hate Crime Law
'Blue Lives Matter' law is nation's first
- Targeting a police officer, firefighter, or EMT in Louisiana is now considered a hate crime. On Thursday Gov. John Bel Edwards signed a "Blue Lives Matter" bill that made the state the first to add those professions to race, ethnicity, religion, and other areas traditionally covered by hate crime...
Loses Runoff to
Nov 22, 2015 5:58 AM CST
Onetime Shoo-in Loses Runoff to Succeed Jindal
Dogged by old scandal, David Vitter loses to newcomer, will retire
- Democrat John Bel Edwards won the runoff election for Louisiana governor Saturday, defeating the once-heavy favorite, Republican David Vitter, and handing the Democrats their first statewide victory since 2008. Edwards, a state lawmaker, will take over the office from term-limited Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal in January. Voters' rejection of Vitter...
Popular on Newser
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
One Fell Off the Cliff. The Other 3 Followed
Officials Determine What Killed US Tourists at Bahamas Resort
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
We Haven't Seen This on the Birth Front for 7 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.