Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Explosives Traces Found
on EgyptAir Victims
Dec 15, 2016 11:01 AM CST
Explosives Traces Found on EgyptAir Victims
Evidence now points toward terrorism in crash that killed 66
- Traces of explosives have been found on some of the 66 victims aboard an EgyptAir Flight that crashed into the Mediterranean Sea earlier this year, and Egypt says it will now open a criminal investigation, reports the BBC . Flight 804 had been en route from Paris to Cairo when it...
Someone Tried to
Put Out Fire Before
Jul 5, 2016 12:15 PM CDT
Someone Tried to Put Out Fire Before EgyptAir Crash
New information from Flight 804's flight deck voice recorder
- New evidence from the wreckage of EgyptAir Flight 804 shows someone tried to put out a fire moments before the plane crashed into the Mediterranean in May, Reuters reports. The new information comes from the flight deck voice recorder, which confirms earlier findings from the flight's data recorder, according...
France Opens Flight 804
Jun 28, 2016 12:21 AM CDT
France Opens Flight 804 Manslaughter Case
Officials say there's no evidence linking crash to terrorism
- French authorities opened a manslaughter inquiry Monday into the May crash of an EgyptAir plane that killed 66 people, saying there is no evidence so far to link it to terrorism. Prosecutor's office rep Agnes Thibault-Lecuivre says the inquiry was launched as an accident investigation, not a terrorism investigation,...
Found: Black Box for
Crashed EgyptAir Plane
Jun 16, 2016 9:43 AM CDT
Found: Black Box for Crashed EgyptAir Plane
Egyptian investigators say cockpit voice recorder was pulled out of Mediterranean Sea
- The cockpit voice recorder of the doomed EgyptAir plane that crashed last month, killing all 66 on board, has been found and pulled from the Mediterranean Sea, Egypt's investigation committee said Thursday, per the AP . The development raises hopes of finding clues as to the cause of the May...
Egypt Says Flight 804
Wreckage Has Been Found
Jun 15, 2016 4:45 PM CDT
Egypt Says Flight 804 Wreckage Has Been Found
The plane crashed May 19 on the way to Cairo from Paris
- Nearly a month after EgyptAir Flight 804 crashed somewhere over the Mediterranean, searchers report they've found the wreckage, the
New York Times
reports. Wednesday's announcement comes from the Egyptian government, which states a search vessel "identified several main locations of the wreckage." According to the BBC...
Jun 1, 2016 8:33 AM CDT
Pings 'Likely' From EgyptAir Black Box
Search efforts will ramp up in coming days
- A French ship combing the Mediterranean for evidence of EgyptAir Flight 804 has detected what investigators believe are signals from one of the plane's black boxes. Search equipment "has detected signals from the seabed of the search area, which likely belong to one of the data boxes,"...
May Have Caught a Break
May 27, 2016 6:43 AM CDT
EgyptAir Investigators May Have Caught a Break
Signal from plane's beacon will narrow search
- A possible big break in the hunt for the wreckage of EgyptAir Flight 804 : Investigators say they've detected a signal from an emergency beacon on the plane, reports the BBC . The discovery will narrow the scope of the search to an area with a 3-mile radius in the Mediterranean,...
Smoke Was Detected
Just Before EgyptAir Crash
May 21, 2016 9:58 AM CDT
Smoke Was Detected Just Before EgyptAir Crash
Detection system sent multiple alerts
- Smoke was detected in multiple places on EgyptAir Flight 804 moments before it plummeted into the Mediterranean, but the cause of the crash that killed all 66 on board remains unclear, the French air accident investigation agency says. Agency spokesman Sebastien Barthe tells the AP that the plane's automatic...
Body Parts, Seats,
May 20, 2016 6:50 PM CDT
Searchers Find Body Parts, Seats, Luggage From EgyptAir Crash
But the cause of the crash is still unknown
- Search crews found floating human remains, luggage, and seats from EgyptAir Flight 804 on Friday, the AP reports. But they face a potentially more complex task in locating bigger pieces of wreckage and the black boxes vital to determining why the plane plunged into the Mediterranean. Looking for clues to...
EgyptAir Mystery Deepens
May 20, 2016 6:32 AM CDT
EgyptAir Mystery Deepens
Body part, luggage discovered
- If EgyptAir Flight 804 was indeed brought down by a terrorist group, that group is apparently not in a big hurry to claim credit for it. The mystery deepened on Friday, at which point more than 24 hours had elapsed since the flight crashed into the Mediterranean Sea with 66...
EgyptAir: Flight 804 Wreckage
Actually Not Found
May 19, 2016 4:43 PM CDT
EgyptAir: Flight 804 Wreckage Actually Not Found
And US officials haven't seen any evidence of terrorism
- EgyptAir has reversed course on earlier claims it had found the wreckage of Flight 804, which disappeared from radar early Thursday over the Mediterranean Sea, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. "We stand corrected on finding the wreckage because what we identified is not a part of our plane,"...
EgyptAir: We Found Wreckage
May 19, 2016 12:28 PM CDT
EgyptAir: We Found Wreckage
Egyptian official believes it's more likely crash was from terrorism than from malfunction
- Debris from EgyptAir Flight 804 has been found in the waters near Greece's Karpathos Island, ABC News reports via a statement from the airline. The country's Ministry of Civil Aviation was sent an official letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirming the find; EgyptAir says family members...
Made Abrupt Turns,
Crashed Into the Sea
May 19, 2016 6:42 AM CDT
EgyptAir Flight Made Abrupt Turns, Crashed Into the Sea
Terrorism has not been ruled out
- An EgyptAir flight from Paris to Cairo with 66 passengers and crew on board crashed in the Mediterranean Sea early Thursday morning off the Greek island of Crete, with French President Francois Hollande confirming "that this plane crashed at sea and has been lost." What we know:
Paris to Cairo
May 19, 2016 1:28 AM CDT
Flight From Paris to Cairo Disappears
There were 66 people on board EgyptAir Flight 804
- A flight from Paris to Cairo disappeared from radar early Thursday morning, the airline says. EgyptAir Flight 804 was lost from radar at 2:45am local time when it was flying at 37,000 feet, the airline says. It says the Airbus A320 had vanished 10 miles after it entered...
Popular on Newser
New Leads on How Live Ammo May Have Gotten on Rust Set
Chief of Staff: Trump Tested Positive, Didn't Reveal It
Before Oxford High School Shooting, Rumors of Attack
Sheriff: Dad of Oxford Suspect Bought Gun on Black Friday
'I Saw People Dying in Front of Me'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.