Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 5,124,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Neither Defendant Convicted in Oakland Warehouse Fire
Blaze killed 36 people
- A jury on Thursday acquitted one man of involuntary manslaughter but could not reach a verdict for the leader of an artists' commune accused of turning an Oakland warehouse into a cluttered maze that trapped 36 partygoers during a fast-moving fire. Jurors found Max Harris, 29, not guilty but said...
Ghost Ship's Undoing: Ramshackle Network of Extension Cords
'The whole place was wires and cables and wood,' former resident says
- The ATF and Oakland authorities are due to speak about the deadly Ghost Ship fire Tuesday morning, and sources tell the
East Bay Times
that they're expected to blame terrible wiring for the disaster that killed 36 people. One insider tells the
that the warehouse, described as a...
Oakland Warehouse Went 30 Years Without Inspection
But witnesses say fire officials, police had been inside
- Officials say they couldn't have designed " an equally flammable place " as the Oakland warehouse where 36 people died in California's deadliest structure blaze in more than a century—but Oakland's planning director says inspectors had no idea. Darin Ranelletti says inspectors hadn't stepped foot...
Old Refrigerator May Be Source of Oakland Fire
'Disaster waiting to happen'
- Investigators searching for the cause of America's deadliest building fire in 13 years are focusing on appliances at the rear of the first floor of the "Ghost Ship" warehouse. "On that back wall, there was a 45-degree-angle burn, and they need to look at that area very...
Oakland Failed to Act on 'Death Trap' Warnings
Some of the 36 fire victims were able to text goodbyes
- The death toll from Friday's horrific warehouse fire has risen to 36, making it California's deadliest building fire since the devastation of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. As recovery efforts at the "Ghost Ship" warehouse continue, many are wondering why inspectors failed to act despite repeated complaints...
Oakland Blaze Was One of Worst US Fires in 50 Years
Criminal investigation team looking into disaster
- The blaze that ripped through a converted warehouse in Oakland, Calif., during a party on Friday has now been confirmed as America's deadliest fire in more than a decade—and authorities say more than half the wreckage of the "Ghost Ship" warehouse hasn't been searched yet. Oakland...
Popular on Newser
Cops Had to Rescue Lost Singer on His Own Property
Experts Paint Eyes on Cow Butts—and It Works
Cops: Rape Suspect Freed for COVID Kills Accuser
10 Reactions to Biden Picking Kamala Harris
Trump: Biden Making a Mistake on VP
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.