Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 1, 2021 11:28 AM CDT
Biden Apologizes to World for Trump
He tells UN climate summit US should not have pulled out of Paris accord
- President Biden offered a public apology to a UN climate conference over predecessor Donald Trump’s move to pull the US from the Paris accord. Biden was speaking in Glasgow, Scotland, on Monday where world leaders were gathering to discuss implementing the agreement to contain global warming by mid-century. “...
After 107 Days, US Is
Back in Paris Climate Pact
Feb 19, 2021 2:50 AM CST
After 107 Days, US Is Back in Paris Climate Pact
Return became official on Friday
- The United States is back in the Paris climate accord, just 107 days after it left. While Friday’s return is heavily symbolic, world leaders say they expect America to prove its seriousness after four years of being pretty much absent. They are especially anticipating an announcement from the US...
People Take Issue
With Ted Cruz's
Jan 21, 2021 6:44 AM CST
People Take Issue With Ted Cruz's 'Paris' Tweet
Twitter users quick to point out Paris Agreement isn't about Paris
- Sen. Ted Cruz greeted the start of the Biden administration with a tweet that was critical of one of the president's initial moves: "By rejoining the Paris Climate Agreement, President Biden indicates he's more interested in the views of the citizens of Paris than in the jobs...
Paris Accord Has Just
Lost a Big Member
Nov 4, 2020 6:52 AM CST
Paris Accord Has Just Lost a Big Member
United States has formally left Paris Agreement, which is trying to curb global warming
- The United States on Wednesday formally left the Paris Agreement, a global pact forged five years ago to avert the threat of catastrophic climate change. The move, long threatened by President Trump and triggered by his administration a year ago, further isolates the United States in the world but has...
US Is Leaving
Nov 4, 2019 4:45 PM CST
UN Receives Official Word: US Is Leaving Climate Deal
Pompeo issues notice, as environmental experts decry 'historic error'
- The US has told the United Nations it has begun the process of pulling out of the landmark 2015 Paris climate agreement. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Monday that he submitted a formal notice, the AP reports. That starts a withdrawal process that does not become official for a...
Come Monday, Trump Can Start
to Take US Out of Paris Deal
Nov 3, 2019 11:31 AM CST
Come Monday, Trump Can Start to Take US Out of Paris Deal
Climate change leadership could fall to China
- For the first three years, nations that signed onto the Paris climate agreement couldn't abandon it. That three-year period ends Monday, and President Trump has made his feelings about the deal clear; the State Department confirmed Friday that the US is leaving. The withdrawal process takes a full year,...
US Cities Defy Trump,
Still Back Paris Climate Deal
Nov 11, 2017 2:55 PM CST
US Cities Defy Trump, Still Back Paris Climate Deal
US coalition has economy larger than Japan, Germany combined
- A group of US states, cities, businesses, and universities said Saturday they are still committed to curbing global warming even as the Trump's administration is walking away from the Paris climate accord, the AP reports. But the alliance, which has an economy larger than Japan and Germany combined, says...
Syria's OK on Paris Accord
Leaves US All Alone
Nov 7, 2017 11:30 AM CST
Syria's OK on Paris Accord Leaves US All Alone
United States now only country in the world to oppose climate agreement
- In a move that further isolates the US from the international community, Syria has officially agreed to sign the Paris climate accord. The announcement was made at a climate summit in Germany on Tuesday, reports Politico . That means the US—which will withdraw from the deal on the basis that...
US, Syria Will Soon Be
Only Holdouts on Paris Accord
Sep 21, 2017 4:33 AM CDT
US, Syria Will Soon Be Only Holdouts on Paris Accord
Nicaragua will sign the climate agreement soon
- When President Trump announced earlier this year that the US would pull out of the Paris climate accord, much of the coverage pointed out that only Nicaragua and Syria were also in the "no" camp. That group just got a little smaller: Nicaragua plans to sign the accord, leaving...
Report: US Will Stay in Paris
Climate Agreement After All
Sep 16, 2017 4:44 PM CDT
Report: US Will Stay in Paris Climate Agreement After All
But a White House official says not so fast
- It turns out the US isn't pulling out of the Paris climate agreement after all. Or maybe it is. But it might not. Really it's all a little unclear. In an exclusive report Saturday, the
Wall Street Journal
states a Trump administration official told a room of international...
US Tells UN We Intend to
Get Out of Paris Climate Deal
Aug 5, 2017 5:15 AM CDT
US Tells UN We Intend to Get Out of Paris Climate Deal
But the process hasn't formally begun
- The Trump administration on Friday officially told the United Nations that the US intends to pull out of the 2015 Paris climate pact. But the State Department's announcement doesn't formally start the process of the US getting out of the voluntary agreement. That's still to come. Still,...
Macron: Trump 'Listened
to Me' on Climate Change
Jul 16, 2017 8:33 AM CDT
Macron: Trump 'Listened to Me' on Climate Change
Says Paris charm offensive was choreographed, might soften Trump's stance
- French President Emmanuel Macron says his glamorous Paris charm offensive on President Trump was carefully calculated—and may have changed the US president's mind about climate change, reports the AP . Macron defended his outreach to Trump, whose "America first" policies have elicited worry and disdain in Europe. "...
Jun 7, 2017 5:31 PM CDT
Hawaii Passes Law Committing to Paris Agreement
It's the 1st state in the US to do so
- States are continuing to fight back against President Trump's decision to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement, with Hawaii becoming the first state to pass a law adopting the goals of the accord. NPR reports the bill was signed Tuesday by Gov. David Ige. He was joined by mayors...
Trump of Being
TALK SHOW ROUNDUP
Jun 4, 2017 10:28 AM CDT
Gore Accuses Trump of Being 'Divisive' With London Tweets
Trump criticized and misquoted London mayor in tweet
- Al Gore appeared on CNN's
State of the Union
Sunday to take President Trump to task for criticizing and misquoting London Mayor Sadiq Khan in a tweet while the latter attempts to deal with the aftermath of Saturday's deadly attack. “I don’t think that a major...
Mattis to World:
'Bear With Us'
Jun 3, 2017 1:59 PM CDT
Mattis to World: 'Bear With Us'
Defense secretary says US not 'turning our back' on world
- James Mattis, seeking to calm world leaders Saturday following President Trump's decision to pull out of the Paris climate agreement, urged them to "bear with us," the
reports. The Defense secretary, paraphrasing Winston Churchill, said Americans will do the right thing "once we have exhausted...
France Helpfully Edits White
House Video on Paris Accord
Jun 3, 2017 10:29 AM CDT
France Helpfully Edits White House Video on Paris Accord
And Macron continues to tweak Trump over his decision to pull out
- Since President Trump announced Thursday he was pulling the US out of the Paris climate agreement, France has been relentlessly dragging the White House. CNN reports the dragging now includes the French government tweeting a remixed version of a White House video on the agreement Friday. The new version of...
Give $15M for
US' Share of
Jun 2, 2017 6:49 PM CDT
Bloomberg to Give $15M for US' Share of Paris Agreement
'We're going to do everything America would have done if it had stayed'
- "Americans are not walking away from the Paris climate agreement,"
quotes Michael Bloomberg as saying. On Friday, Bloomberg Philanthropies announced it would commit $15 million to "support the operations" of the UN's Framework Convention on Climate Change, which coordinates the Paris climate agreement, CNN reports....
Leaving Paris Climate Accord
Will Save US Economy. Or Kill It
Jun 2, 2017 2:25 PM CDT
Leaving Paris Climate Accord Will Save US Economy. Or Kill It
Opposing views from the 'Wall Street Journal' and 'New York Times'
Wall Street Journal
New York Times
issued dueling editorials following President Trump's decision to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement—one pro and one con, but both using the economy to make their points. After accusing the agreement of being toothless and ineffective, the
Trump Gives Gore's
Film a New Ending
Jun 2, 2017 9:39 AM CDT
Trump Gives Gore's Film a New Ending
Withdrawal from Paris accord will be added to An Inconvenient Sequel
- Al Gore's latest climate change documentary hits theaters next month, but filmmakers have some new editing to do. That's because the final cut of
An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power
will include President Trump's decision to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement, reports the Wrap . Mike Allen...
Mayor Unhappy Trump Named
His City in Withdrawal Speech
Jun 2, 2017 6:03 AM CDT
Mayor Unhappy Trump Named His City in Withdrawal Speech
Pittsburgh 'does not support the initiatives that he is doing'
- President Trump's decision to pull the US out of the Paris climate accord is being denounced as a big mistake by leaders of other countries—and plenty of American mayors and governors don't sound any happier. French President Emmanuel Macron, delivering a rare English-language speech, said there is...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Researchers May Have Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
'Inexcusable' Assignment at Middle School Spurs Outrage
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
Airlines Have a Dire Warning on 5G Rollout
Friction Is Heating Up Between Trump, DeSantis
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.