Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Books, Ammo Found in
Lee Statue Time Capsule
Dec 28, 2021 7:12 PM CST
Books, Ammo Found in Lee Statue Time Capsule
This one was the right box, experts say
: Dozens of Civil War-era artifacts were recovered Tuesday from an 1887 time capsule found in a pedestal that once held a statue of Robert E. Lee in Richmond, Virginia. Conservators say they recovered books, buttons, Confederate money, and Minie balls, a type of ammunition, from the copper box, the...
With Removal of Statue
Comes Rare Find
Dec 23, 2021 1:29 AM CST
With Removal of Statue Comes Rare Find
Crews working to take down a Robert E. Lee statue in Richmond discovered a time capsule
Inside the base of a Robert E. Lee statue recently taken down in Richmond, Virginia, were books and other texts, a coin, and an envelope. Conservators chipped the time capsule out of the granite box Tuesday, and preservationists unsealed it Wednesday, NPR reports. Inside, they found just a fraction...
Charlottesville Makes a Call
on Its Robert E. Lee Statue
Dec 8, 2021 7:27 AM CST
Charlottesville Makes a Call on Its Robert E. Lee Statue
Monument will be melted down to be made into arts project by local nonprofit
- It hasn't been clear what would happen to Charlottesville's Robert E. Lee statue, after it was hoisted off its stone pedestal in July, but the City Council has now made its decision: A local Black-led nonprofit will melt down the controversial Confederate monument and turn it into a...
Sep 22, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Court Endorses Law Protecting Confederate Statues
Removal requires approval of Legislature
- The South Carolina Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that a state law preventing anyone from moving a Confederate monument or changing the historical name of a street or building without the Legislature's permission is legal. But in the same ruling, the AP reports, the justices struck down a requirement that...
Search for Time Capsule
in Lee Statue Is a Bust
Sep 10, 2021 1:17 PM CDT
Search for Time Capsule in Lee Statue Is a Bust
Crews in Richmond found no sign of the items from 1887
They couldn't find it. Workers who dismantled the giant Robert E. Lee statue in Richmond, Va., struck out Thursday in their search for a time capsule thought to have been tucked into the pedestal more than a century ago, reports the
. It's possible, though unlikely,...
In on Fallen
Sep 9, 2021 1:19 AM CDT
Trump Weighs In on Fallen Lee Statue
'Our culture is being destroyed'
- As one might imagine, former President Trump was not pleased with Virginia's removal of a Robert E. Lee statue Wednesday. "To add insult to injury, those who support this ‘taking’ now plan to cut it into three pieces, and throw this work of art into storage prior...
One of Our Largest Remaining
Statues to Confederacy Falls
Sep 8, 2021 8:35 AM CDT
One of Our Largest Remaining Statues to Confederacy Falls
Robert E. Lee removed from pedestal on which he stood in Richmond, Va.
A statue of Robert E. Lee that stood in Richmond, Va., for 131 years has come down. The
reports it was hoisted off its pedestal to cheers at 8:55am. The AP , which calls it one of America’s largest remaining monuments to the Confederacy, reports it will...
Bust of KKK Leader to Lose
Its Home at Tennessee Capitol
Jul 23, 2021 7:03 AM CDT
Bust of KKK Leader to Lose Its Home at Tennessee Capitol
Statue of Confederate general, slave trader Nathan Bedford Forrest headed to museum
- A bust of Ku Klux Klan leader and Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest is coming down at the Tennessee Capitol. The State Building Commission gave a 5-2 approval Thursday to relocate the bust of the slave trader , installed in 1978, to the Tennessee State Museum, reports the
. Several attempts...
As the Statue Came Down
in Charlottesville, Cheers
Jul 10, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
As the Statue Came Down in Charlottesville, Cheers
Monument to Robert E. Lee is removed from pedestal in Va. park
- A Confederate monument that helped spark a violent white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va., has been hoisted off its stone pedestal. Work to remove the statue of Gen. Robert E. Lee began early Saturday morning. Crews were also expected to take down a second Confederate monument for Lt. Gen. Thomas...
Jul 9, 2021 2:26 PM CDT
Statue That Sparked Violence in Charlottesville Coming Down
City removing tributes to Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson
- A Confederate monument that helped spark a violent white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, will be taken down this weekend. The city said in a news release that the equestrian statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee as well as a nearby one of Confederate Gen. Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson...
Statues at Capitol
Jun 30, 2021 3:00 AM CDT
House Votes to Remove Confederate Statues at Capitol
Measure now heads to the Senate
- The House of Representatives on Tuesday voted 285-120 to remove Confederate statues from the US Capitol. Democrats voted unanimously for HR 3005, and 67 Republicans joined them, the AP reports. A statue of Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy, stands in Statuary Hall, and outside the Old Supreme Court Chamber...
Remains of Confederate
General, Wife Being Exhumed
Jun 2, 2021 1:46 AM CDT
Remains of Confederate General, Wife Being Exhumed
Bodies of Nathan Bedford Forrest, wife will be relocated
- The Confederate general whose statue was already removed from a Memphis park will soon exit the park himself. Workers started the process Tuesday of digging up the bodies of Nathan Bedford Forrest and his wife, the AP reports. The graves will be moved to Tennessee's National Confederate Museum hundreds...
Home of Largest
Is Making Changes
May 25, 2021 3:13 PM CDT
Home of Largest Confederate Monument Is Making Changes
Stone Mountain is adding exhibit that will acknowledge site's links to KKK
- The Stone Mountain Memorial Association board has voted to make some changes at Stone Mountain Park—though none of them involve getting rid of the country's largest Confederate monument . The resolutions approved Monday include a new "warts and all" museum exhibit that will look at the carving's...
Can Come Down
Apr 2, 2021 6:32 AM CDT
Court: Charlottesville's Confederate Statues Can Come Down
Lee statue was focus of deadly 2017 protest
- After years of protests, counter-protests, and legal battles, statues of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson in Charlottesville might be coming down very soon. Virginia's top court ruled Thursday that a law against the removal of war monuments does not apply to the statues, the
of Robert E. Lee
Dec 21, 2020 6:30 PM CST
Virginia Switches Out Capitol Statue of Robert E. Lee
A 16-year-old civil rights leader will be honored instead of the Confederate general
- For 111 years, Robert E. Lee has held a place of honor in the US Capitol's Statuary Hall, next to George Washington. But "Confederate images do not represent who we are in Virginia," said a state legislator who led a commission that urged removing Lee's statue....
Statue Coming Down
Dec 7, 2020 8:31 AM CST
Another Confederate Statue Coming Down
VMI is taking down its prominent statue of Stonewall Jackson
- The Virginia Military Institute began work Monday to remove a prominent statue of Confederate Gen. Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson, an effort initiated this fall after allegations of systemic racism roiled the school. A crew was inspecting the statue at the public military college in Lexington, poised to haul away the...
Oct 29, 2020 4:35 PM CDT
Stonewall Jackson Will Go, VMI Concedes
Military college announces other changes after allegations of systemic racism
- The Virginia Military Institute's board voted Thursday to remove a statue of Confederate Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson that stands in front of the historic barracks on campus—and that, until a few years ago, cadets had to salute. School spokesman William Wyatt said the board also voted to...
Oct 5, 2020 3:13 PM CDT
$250M Project Rethinks Monuments
Mellon Foundation donates $250M to telling a more inclusive history in public spaces
- With monuments under attack that honor Confederates , Christopher Columbus and others whose records are being reconsidered, a $250 million project will look for new approaches to reflecting the nation's history. The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation plans to reimagine existing monuments and develop new approaches to future installations, including statues,...
'No Justice Here'
Sep 13, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Scarred City Removes Statue That Signaled 'No Justice Here'
'At Ready' had stood outside courthouse in Charlottesville since 1909
- A Virginia statue that stood as a Confederate sentinel for 111 years outside a Charlottesville courthouse is gone. Crews removed the statue known as Johnny Reb—which included a rifle, two cannons, and cannonballs—to cheers from a crowd that had assembled before dawn, WVIR reports. "Today we disarm...
Hurricane Takes Down Statue
Officials Had Voted to Keep
Aug 28, 2020 12:30 AM CDT
Hurricane Takes Down Statue Officials Had Voted to Keep
Laura topples the South's Defenders Monument in Lake Charles, La.
- Two weeks ago, officials in Lake Charles, Louisiana, declined to remove a controversial Confederate monument. This week, Hurricane Laura went ahead and toppled the statue herself. The South's Defenders Monument, a statue featuring a Confederate soldier that used to stand in front of the Calcasieu Parish Courthouse, was found...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Report: Plane Crashed Into the Earth Intentionally
After Girl, 7, Mauled to Death by Dog, 4 Family Members Charged
Tucker Carlson Addresses Alleged Gunman's Screed
Man Buys Old Virginia Home, Makes 'Heart-Wrenching' Find
Viral Post About $27 Airport Beer Spurs Big Changes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.