Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Denmark Plans to Ban Lifers
From Starting New Romances
Sep 16, 2021 1:48 PM CDT
Denmark Plans to Ban Lifers From Starting New Romances
They're worried about prison 'groupies,' including a teen who fell for Peter Madsen
- Peter Madsen, the Danish man serving a life sentence for torturing, killing, and dismembering journalist Kim Wall on his submarine in 2017, apparently has a busier love life than many people on the outside—and the country's lawmakers want to put an end to it. A new bill introduced...
Peter Madsen Gets
Another 21 Months
Feb 9, 2021 12:09 PM CST
Macabre Killer Peter Madsen Gets Another 21 Months
He is sentenced over his escape from prison after Kim Wall's submarine murder
- He was already serving life for one of Denmark's most notorious murders , but Peter Madsen just got another 21 months tacked on to his sentence. A court on Tuesday handed down the additional time for Madsen's stunning, if short-lived, escape from a prison in suburban Copenhagen last year,...
Killer Peter Madsen
Oct 20, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
Killer Peter Madsen Escapes Prison
Inventor convicted in journalist's brutal murder is apprehended a short distance away on Tuesday
- A Danish man convicted of killing a journalist aboard his homemade submarine in a case that shocked Scandinavia managed to escape from prison on Tuesday—though he was apprehended soon after. Peter Madsen, serving life in prison for the 2017 murder of Kim Wall, escaped from Herstedvester Prison near Copenhagen...
Finally Admits He
Killed Kim Wall
Sep 9, 2020 3:25 PM CDT
Peter Madsen Finally Admits He Killed Kim Wall
Danish inventor has previously maintained journalist's death was an accident
- A Danish court determined Peter Madsen killed Swedish journalist Kim Wall in August 2017. Now Madsen has verified that fact. The
reports the 49-year-old has for the first time admitted killed Wall, who he long maintained had died accidentally on the submarine he built. The confession came in a...
May 7, 2018 3:42 PM CDT
Submarine Murderer Is Only Appealing His Sentence
Peter Madsen is not appealing his murder conviction in Kim Wall's death
- Danish submarine inventor Peter Madsen will not be appealing his murder conviction over the killing and dismemberment of Swedish journalist Kim Wall, prosecutors said Monday. In a tweet, prosecutors said Madsen's defense team had only appealed against the life sentence that was handed down by the Copenhagen City Court,...
Peter Madsen Gets Rare Life
Sentence for Reporter's Murder
Apr 25, 2018 6:19 AM CDT
Peter Madsen Gets Rare Life Sentence for Reporter's Murder
Judge says Madsen didn't give 'a trustworthy' explanation for Kim Wall's death
- Life sentences are unusual in Denmark, even when the crime is murder, but that's what Danish inventor Peter Madsen was handed on Wednesday. Judge Anette Burkoe at the Copenhagen City Court said she and the two jurors—whose opinions all held equal weight in the case—found Swedish journalist...
Submarine Death Suspect:
'I Am Really, Really Sorry'
Apr 23, 2018 5:48 PM CDT
Submarine Death Suspect: 'I Am Really, Really Sorry'
Peter Madsen is accused of torturing and killing journalist Kim Wall
- The Danish inventor on trial in the murder of a Swedish journalist who was aboard his personal submarine addressed the victim's parents in court directly on Monday. "I am really, really sorry about what happened," Peter Madsen told the mother and father of Kim Wall after the...
I Tried to Save
Kim Wall, Not
Mar 8, 2018 11:37 AM CST
Sub Owner: I Tried to Save Kim Wall, Not Kill Her
Peter Madsen denies murdering journalist as his trial opens
- Prosecutors say all the evidence shows that Danish inventor and submarine owner Peter Madsen tortured, murdered, and dismembered Swedish journalist Kim Wall last summer, but Madsen could not have been any clearer as his trial started in Denmark on Thursday: "I deny that I am guilty of the murder...
Kim Wall's Friend Spent Months
Researching Her Awful Death
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 25, 2018 11:47 AM CST
Kim Wall's Friend Spent Months Researching Her Awful Death
Fellow journalist learns that Wall skipped her own party to go on submarine trip
- May Jeong wasn't just similar to Kim Wall, the journalist allegedly murdered by Peter Madsen in his submarine in August, she was her friend: A fellow young freelance writer who knew Wall in New York in 2016 and spoke with her weekly after assignments took them abroad. "When...
Jan 23, 2018 12:28 PM CST
Prosecutors Present Grisly Theory on Submarine Killing
Peter Madsen is accused of bringing aboard tools to brutalize Kim Wall before her death
- Prosecutors have outlined what they think happened to journalist Kim Wall last year aboard a submarine, and it makes for grisly reading. The indictment released Tuesday in Copenhagen accuses Danish entrepreneur Peter Madsen of brutalizing his 30-year-old victim with tools including a saw and screwdrivers that he brought aboard for...
on Kim Wall's
Jan 16, 2018 7:30 AM CST
Prosecutors Reveal Theory on Kim Wall's Death
Say she either had throat cut or was strangled, as they charge Peter Madsen in case
- Inventor Peter Madsen was charged Tuesday with killing Swedish journalist Kim Wall during an Aug. 10 trip on his private submarine, with prosecutors saying he either cut her throat or strangled her. Prosecutor Jakob Buch-Jepsen said the case is "very unusual and extremely disturbing." Madsen is charged with...
Sub Owner Offers
New Story as to How
Oct 30, 2017 12:35 PM CDT
Sub Owner Offers New Story as to How Journalist Died
Peter Madsen says carbon monoxide killed Kim Wall
- Peter Madsen's recounting of journalist Kim Wall's August death has changed yet again, from that he last saw her alive , to that it was an accident involving a hatch cover , to the latest: that she succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning within his submarine while he was on deck....
Sub Owner Held
in Woman's Death
Had Torture Videos:
Oct 3, 2017 4:59 PM CDT
Sub Owner Held in Woman's Death Had Torture Videos: Prosecutor
Plus, new postmortem evidence in case against Peter Madsen
- The Danish inventor charged with manslaughter in the death of a Swedish journalist aboard his submarine had videos of women being tortured and murdered on his computer, a police prosecutor told a Copenhagen court Tuesday. Jakob Buch-Jepsen testified that the video footage, "which we presume to be real,"...
Sub Owner Gives
Account of How
Sep 5, 2017 11:04 AM CDT
Sub Owner Gives Account of How Journalist Died
Peter Madsen appears in court, blames hatch cover
- Submarine owner Peter Madsen was in court for a detention hearing on Tuesday, and provided an account of how he says Swedish journalist Kim Wall lost her life. Madsen framed it as an accident involving what Reuters describes as a "heavy hatch cover," saying, "I lose my...
Police in Kim Wall
Case Looking for
Aug 24, 2017 8:11 AM CDT
Police in Kim Wall Case Looking for Orange Turtleneck
Journalist's torso was found unclad
- Danish police said Thursday that the headless torso of Swedish reporter Kim Wall, who is believed to have died on a submarine that sank, was found naked and they are now also searching for her clothes. Copenhagen police spokesman Steen Hansen said investigators found a "clothes-less" torso. He said...
Aug 23, 2017 6:22 AM CDT
Police: Missing Journalist's Torso Was Attached to Metal
Police say someone tried to make sure Kim Wall's body never rose to surface
- Police in Sweden have made a grisly confirmation: The torso of a woman found near the shore in Copenhagen is indeed that of missing journalist Kim Wall, reports the BBC . And it appears that somebody tried to make sure her body sank to the ocean bottom and stayed there. Police...
Found as Police
Aug 21, 2017 6:35 PM CDT
Woman's Torso Found as Police Investigate Sub Sinking
It's not clear whether remains belong to Kim Wall
- The body of a woman has been found in the Baltic Sea near where a missing Swedish journalist is believed to have died on a privately built submarine, Danish police said late Monday. A female torso without legs, arms, or a head was found by a passer-by, said the head...
Cops: Sub Owner
Aug 21, 2017 6:39 AM CDT
Cops: Sub Owner Confesses Journalist Died in 'Accident'
Peter Madsen also reportedly admitted he 'buried [Kim Wall] at sea'
- The mystery of what happened to a Swedish journalist who vanished after a ride on a Danish inventor's submarine is slowly becoming clearer. Though details are still scarce, Copenhagen police say Peter Madsen, after changing his story , has confessed that Kim Wall died in "an accident" on board...
His Sub. Now, His
Aug 14, 2017 10:33 AM CDT
She Vanished After Boarding His Sub. Now, His Story Changes
The whereabouts of Kim Wall remain unknown
- There are far more questions than answers in the disappearance of journalist Kim Wall, who hasn't been heard from since she boarded Peter Madsen's now-sunken submarine Thursday night on Denmark's Refshaleoen island. The sub has since been raised, and Wall's body wasn't in it . Madsen...
Cops Find No Body
Aug 13, 2017 7:07 AM CDT
Aboard Mysteriously Sunken Submarine, Cops Find No Body
30-year-old freelance journalist is missing after privately owned sub goes down
- Danish police say they have not found the body of a missing Swedish journalist inside an amateur-built submarine that sunk off the Nordic country's eastern coast last week , reports the AP . Copenhagen police spokesman Jens Moller Jensen says Sunday that investigators uncovered no trace of 30-year-old freelance journalist Kim...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.