Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Biden: Families Separated
at Border Won't Get $450K
Nov 4, 2021 8:07 AM CDT
Biden: Families Separated at Border Won't Get $450K
'That's not going to happen,' he says
: President Biden says there is no way families separated at the border under the Trump administration will be getting compensation of $450,000 per person. "That's not going to happen," the president said at a White House briefing Wednesday, per the
New York Times
. He described...
Feds Say Reunited Families
Will Be Allowed to Stay in US
Mar 1, 2021 2:55 PM CST
Feds Say Reunited Families Will Be Allowed to Stay in US
'We are acting as restoratively as possible'
- Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas says the Biden administration is working to undo the damage caused by the border separation policy, which he calls "the most powerful and heartbreaking example of the cruelty" of the previous administration. Mayorkas said Monday that the federal government is "dedicating resources full-time"...
Biden Signs Second Wave
of Immigration Orders
Feb 2, 2021 7:58 PM CST
Biden Signs Second Wave of Immigration Orders
Mayorkas sworn in as Homeland Security chief
- President Biden on Tuesday signed a second spate of orders to undo his predecessor’s immigration policies, demonstrating the powers of the White House and its limitations without support from Congress. His orders on family separation, border security, and legal immigration bring to nine the number of executive actions on...
Jan 26, 2021 6:56 PM CST
Feds Rescind 'Zero Tolerance' Immigration Rule
Children were separated from their parents under Trump-era border policy
- The Justice Department on Tuesday rescinded a Trump-era memo that established a "zero tolerance" enforcement policy for migrants crossing the US-Mexico border illegally, which resulted in thousands of family separations. Acting Attorney General Monty Wilkinson issued the new memo to federal prosecutors across the nation, saying the department would...
Parents of 545 Kids Separated
at the Border Can't Be Found
Oct 21, 2020 1:31 AM CDT
Parents of 545 Kids Separated at the Border Can't Be Found
According to court-appointed lawyers
- Court-appointed lawyers said Tuesday that they have been unable to find parents of 545 children who were separated at the US border with Mexico early in the Trump administration, the AP reports. The children were separated between July 1, 2017, and June 26, 2018, when a federal judge in San...
Watchdog: Sessions Said 'We
Need to Take Away Children'
Oct 7, 2020 8:22 AM CDT
Watchdog: Sessions Said 'We Need to Take Away Children'
Former AG pushed Trump's agenda of separating children from their families
- When US attorneys objected to orders to prosecute all undocumented immigrants in May 2018, then-attorney general Jeff Sessions made clear President Trump's intentions. "We need to take away children," he told the prosecutors, per the
New York Times
. A week later, then-deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein complained...
Ex-DHS Chief Nielsen
Reveals Why She Resigned
Oct 23, 2019 7:55 AM CDT
Ex-DHS Chief Nielsen Reveals Why She Resigned
At 'Fortune' summit, Kirstjen Nielsen also says has no regrets on 'enforcing law' that separated families
- "These conversations can be tough, and arguably should be tough, as I'm sure this next one will be" is how the intro for Kirstjen Nielsen went at Tuesday's Most Powerful Women Summit sponsored by
magazine. And interviewer Amna Nawaz got right into it with the former...
US May Have Undercounted
Children Separated at Border
Jan 17, 2019 12:00 PM CST
US May Have Undercounted Children Separated at Border
Official figure of about 2.7K doesn't include kids separated before court-ordered accounting
- Government investigators said Thursday that thousands more migrant children may have been separated from their families than the Trump administration has acknowledged. A report from the Health and Human Services inspector general's office found that family separations were occurring before the spring of last year, when the administration announced...
Here Is the
of the Year
Dec 10, 2018 12:14 PM CST
Here Is the Shortlist for Person of the Year
At least in the eyes of Time magazine
will choose its Person of the Year on Tuesday, and a short list out Monday has the usual suspects, along with a few surprises. The person (or group) will be announced during the
program. Here are the 10 finalists:
Christine Blasey Ford
CEO 'Too Busy Scuba Diving'
to Deal With Border Crisis
Sep 26, 2018 6:33 AM CDT
CEO 'Too Busy Scuba Diving' to Deal With Border Crisis
Marc Benioff slammed for CBP contract
- Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff is taking flak for his tech company's contract with US Customs and Border Protection—and for the way he backed out of a call with a nonprofit group at the height of the family separation crisis. In an email seen by the
, Benioff called...
US Plans to Circumvent Limits
on Detaining Immigrant Kids
Sep 6, 2018 1:54 PM CDT
US Plans to Circumvent Limits on Detaining Immigrant Kids
Trump administration proposes rule sidestepping Flores agreement
- The Trump administration said Thursday it plans to circumvent a longstanding court agreement that governs how children are treated in immigration custody, in part to detain families longer as a way to deter migrants from crossing the Southwestern border illegally. The Homeland Security Department announced proposed regulations that would terminate...
A Reunion for
Separated at Border
Aug 8, 2018 2:49 PM CDT
A Reunion for Mom, 6-Year-Old Separated at Border
Pair is among those returned to Guatemala from US
- Nine Guatemalan child migrants who were taken from their parents at the US border arrived home for tearful reunions Tuesday as the Trump administration tries to comply with a court order to return hundreds of separated minors to their families. "I want to see my mama," the AP...
Aug 3, 2018 2:03 PM CDT
Feds: HIV-Positive Shelter Worker Sexually Abused Immigrant Kids
Southwest Key, largest operator of US immigrant youth shelters, also plagued with other allegations
- While the controversy surrounding immigrant children separated from their parents at the US border continues to swirl, the AP reports on troublesome news out of a shelter outside Phoenix. Per federal authorities, Levian Pacheco, who used to work for Southwest Key's Casa Kokopelli facility in Mesa, has pleaded not...
Feds: Finding Deported Parents
Should Be in ACLU's Hands
Aug 3, 2018 8:21 AM CDT
Feds: Finding Deported Parents Should Be in ACLU's Hands
DOJ lawyers make the case in a court filing
- The American Civil Liberties Union is balking at a request from the federal government to track down the deported parents of an estimated 431 children who remain in the US. "Not only was it the government's unconstitutional separation practice that led to this crisis, but the United States...
Girl Taken at Border Was
Abused, Signed Odd Form
Jul 29, 2018 11:05 AM CDT
Girl Taken at Border Was Abused, Signed Odd Form
'The Nation' uncovers the sad tale of a 6-year-old girl
- A 6-year-old Guatemalan girl taken from her mother was sexually assaulted at least twice in a US facility—and signed a document saying it was her responsibility to avoid the abuser, the
reports. Identified only as DL, the girl was taken away at the Texas border on May 24...
Judge Hits Pause on
Jul 16, 2018 2:40 PM CDT
Judge Hits Pause on Deportations of Reunited Families
Final decision expected next week
- A federal judge on Monday ordered a temporary halt to any deportations of immigrant families who were reunited after being separated by the Trump administration at the border, the AP reports. US District Judge Dana Sabraw imposed a delay of at least a week after a request from the American...
to Be Back With Parents
Jul 10, 2018 6:45 PM CDT
Immigrant Children 'Absolutely Thrilled' to Be Back With Parents
As many as 50 or more were to be reunited Tuesday
- Lugging little backpacks, smiling immigrant children were scooped up into their parents' arms Tuesday as the Trump administration scrambled to meet a court-ordered deadline to reunite dozens of youngsters forcibly separated from their families at the border, the AP reports. In Grand Rapids, Michigan, two boys and a girl who...
Judge Rejects US Plan
to Detain Families Indefinitely
Jul 10, 2018 12:11 AM CDT
Judge Rejects US Plan to Detain Families Indefinitely
She rules administration can't alter Flores agreement
- A federal judge has rejected what she called President Trump's "cynical" effort to ditch an agreement limiting the amount of time children can be held in immigration detention. Dolly Gee, a Los Angeles-based US district judge, said the administration had offered "tortured" reasoning in its attempt to...
US Will Reunite
Half of Separated
Kids Under 5
Jul 9, 2018 3:48 PM CDT
US Will Reunite Half of Separated Kids Under 5 by Deadline
About 50 immigrant children will be reunited with families by tomorrow
- At least 50 immigrant children under age 5 will be released with their parents by Tuesday's court-ordered deadline for the Trump administration to reunify families forcibly separated at the border, a government attorney said Monday. That's only about half of the 100 or so children covered by the...
in a Cage
Jul 3, 2018 3:09 PM CDT
Church Puts Holy Family in a Cage
Indianapolis church is protesting Trump's border policy
- Mary and Joseph were refugees after the birth of Jesus, seeking asylum in Egypt to protect the baby from a king who sought to kill him—and so, to protest President Trump's immigration policies, a Indianapolis church has placed the holy family in a cage on its lawn. "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Trump on Spy Balloon Reports: 'FAKE DISINFORMATION'
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.