Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Feb 8, 2019 1:21 PM CST
In Testy Hearing, Acting AG Draws Laughter
'Mr. Chairman, I see that your five minutes is up,' Matthew Whitaker informs Jerry Nadler
- Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker appeared before the House Judiciary Committee Friday for a hearing that was as contentious as expected. Democrats repeatedly grilled him about the Robert Mueller investigation, and Whitaker insisted he has not "interfered in any way" with the inquiry, reports Politico . One of the more...
Feb 7, 2019 3:36 PM CST
Whitaker Sets Condition for House Testimony
Committee authorizes a subpoena if necessary
- After a House panel authorized a subpoena to summon the acting attorney general to appear Friday, Matthew Whitaker said he'll testify—as long as there's no subpoena. Whitaker said in a statement that the subpoena vote broke his agreement with the panel to appear voluntarily, the
Mueller Investigation Is
'Close to Being Completed'
Jan 29, 2019 3:31 AM CST
Mueller Investigation Is 'Close to Being Completed'
Acting AG hopes to get final report soon
- After an investigation that has lasted more than 20 months, it's almost Mueller Time. Acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker said Monday that special counsel Robert Mueller is nearly ready to wrap up his investigation of alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 election, the
New York Times
US Hits Huawei, CFO
With Criminal Charges
Jan 28, 2019 7:00 PM CST
US Hits Huawei, CFO With Criminal Charges
How this affects the US-China trade war will remain to be seen
- The US Department of Justice unsealed a 13-count indictment against Chinese tech giant Huawei on Monday, including against two of its affiliates and its chief financial officer, the AP and Fox News report. The felony charges, which came in the form of two separate indictments—one a 10-count grand jury...
Acting AG Incorrectly
Claims Honor on Resume
Dec 26, 2018 6:24 PM CST
Acting AG Incorrectly Claims Honor on Resume
Matthew Whitaker was not an Academic All-Star
- Matthew Whitaker’s resume states that he had been selected as an Academic All-Star during his time as a football player at the University of Iowa in the early 90s. But, the
Wall Street Journa l
reports, the acting attorney general never actually got the honor. The claim reportedly has...
Report: Trump Wants to
Hire George HW Bush's AG
Dec 7, 2018 4:18 AM CST
Report: Trump Wants to Hire George HW Bush's AG
Sources say William Barr is leading contender
- After criticism that his acting attorney general wasn't confirmed by the Senate, President Trump is considering a permanent replacement who was confirmed in the role decades ago, insiders say. Sources tell the
that Matthew Barr, a 68-year-old Republican lawyer who served as attorney general under George HW...
400 Ex-Justice Dept. Officials
to Trump: Dump Whitaker
Dec 5, 2018 5:22 AM CST
400 Ex-Justice Dept. Officials to Trump: Dump Whitaker
They say they're 'disturbed' by Trump appointment
- Hundreds of former Justice Department officials have signed a letter saying they are "disturbed" by President Trump's appointment of Matt Whitaker as acting attorney general. In the letter , circulated by the Protect Democracy watchdog group, more than 400 Justice alumni urge the president to "follow the constitutional...
Nov 21, 2018 7:41 AM CST
AG Whitaker's Financial Disclosures Spur Questions
He was paid $1.15M over a 3-year period by FACT
- The Justice Department on Tuesday released financial disclosure statements related to Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker, and they reveal one major source of income since 2015: some $1.15 million paid to him over the 2015-2017 period by the Foundation for Accountability and Civic Trust, or FACT, reports
3 Senate Democrats Sue
to Have Whitaker Removed
Nov 19, 2018 11:45 AM CST
3 Senate Democrats Sue to Have Whitaker Removed
They argue Matthew Whitaker's appointment violates the Constitution
- Three Senate Democrats filed a lawsuit Monday arguing that Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker's appointment is unconstitutional and asking a federal judge to remove him. The suit, filed by Sens. Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, Mazie Hirono of Hawaii, and Sheldon Whitehouse of Rhode Island, argues that Whitaker's appointment...
Trump Grades Himself: 'A+ ...
Can I Go Higher Than That?'
SUNDAY TALK SHOWS
Nov 18, 2018 9:48 AM CST
Trump Grades Himself: 'A+ ... Can I Go Higher Than That?'
President tells Fox 'I don't want to hear' Khashoggi tape
- President Trump sat down with Chris Wallace on
Fox News Sunday
for an interview that ranged from CNN reporter Jim Acosta to the midterms and his own job performance. With regard to the latter, "I think I’m doing a great job. We have the best economy we’ve...
DOJ: No Senate
Nov 14, 2018 12:24 PM CST
DOJ: No Senate Confirmation, No Problem for Whitaker
Memo citing past precedent notes he's 'unquestionably' authorized to lead
- Matthew Whitaker is "unquestionably" authorized to lead the Justice Department despite his lack of Senate confirmation. That's the opinion of Steven Engel, assistant attorney general for the department's Office of Legal Counsel, who's penned a 20-page memo in support of Whitaker's appointment as acting attorney...
Trump Warned Democrats
of War. They're Digging In
Nov 12, 2018 11:54 AM CST
Trump Warned Democrats of War. They're Digging In
Axios cites a 'subpoena cannon' is ready to fire
- A day after the midterms, President Trump warned that he would assume a "warlike posture" if Democrats used their new control of the House to aggressively investigate him. A slew of new stories suggests that Trump will have to assume that posture quickly. One of the phrases in circulation...
Nov 10, 2018 4:30 PM CST
Whitaker: No Jews, Atheists as Federal Judges
Acting AG is also accused of persecuting a gay legislator
- Matthew Whitaker's role as acting attorney general may be short-lived, and that's not just Democrats talking. "I don't know Matt Whitaker," Trump said Friday before flying off to France—a noticeable change from his October statement on Fox News that Whitaker is "a great...
With Sessions Out,
Dems Fear for Future
of Mueller Probe
Nov 8, 2018 6:48 AM CST
With Sessions Out, Dems Fear for Future of Mueller Probe
New acting AG Matthew Whitaker has been a leading critic of the investigation
- President Trump's forcing out of Jeff Sessions has cast doubt on the future of Robert Mueller's investigation—especially since Sessions' replacement, Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker, has long been a critic of the probe. Whitaker, who served as Sessions' chief of staff, has repeatedly accused the Mueller investigation...
Submits His Resignation
Nov 7, 2018 3:54 PM CST
Jeff Sessions Submits His Resignation
He's out as attorney general at White House's request
- Jeff Sessions is out as attorney general, report CNN and the AP . White House chief of staff John Kelly reportedly asked him to resign Wednesday, and Sessions' resignation letter was subsequently delivered to the White House. The speed of the move, coming so soon after polls closed, "suggested how...
Popular on Newser
Pete Rose on Sex Misconduct Claims: '55 Years Ago, Babe'
Liz Cheney Reveals Her Thoughts on DeSantis
Those Tax Incentives to Buy Electric? There's a Problem
Top US General Vowed to Fight Trump 'From the Inside'
Trump: FBI Has Raided 'My Beautiful Home'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.