Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Back to China
After US Deal
Sep 25, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Detained Huawei CFO Headed Back to China After US Deal
Meng Wanzhou had been held on fraud charges in Canada since 2018, awaiting extradition to US
- For nearly three years, Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou has been detained in Canada, awaiting extradition to the United States on fraud charges. On Friday, all of that changed, as the US and China reached an agreement and the US Justice Department dropped its extradition request, allowing Meng to go free,...
China Appears to Retaliate
Against Canada Again
Aug 11, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
China Appears to Retaliate Against Canada Again
Michael Spavor sentenced to 11 years
- A Chinese court sentenced Canadian entrepreneur Michael Spavor to 11 years in prison Wednesday in a spying case that has been linked to Beijing's pressure campaign against the Canadian government over the arrest of an executive at tech giant Huawei. Spavor and another Canadian were detained in China in...
Death Penalty Upheld in
China for Canadian Man
Aug 10, 2021 2:02 AM CDT
Death Penalty Upheld in China for Canadian Man
Country appears to be pressuring Canada to release Huawei exec
- A Chinese court on Tuesday rejected a Canadian drug convict's appeal of a death sentence in what appeared to be an effort to step up pressure on Canada to release a detained executive of tech giant Huawei, the AP reports. The Canadian government condemned the ruling and appealed to...
China Takes Big Step
in Feud With Canada
Mar 18, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
China Takes Big Step in Feud With Canada
The '2 Michaels' to go on trial within days for spying
- The Chinese government will put two Canadians on trial for espionage within days, despite international calls for their release. Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor were arrested in 2018 in what was widely seen as retaliation for the arrest of Meng Wanzhou , an executive and the daughter of the founder of...
4th Canadian to Death
Aug 7, 2020 4:25 AM CDT
China Sentences 4th Canadian to Death
Move seen as retaliation for arrest of Huawei exec
- China has sentenced a fourth Canadian citizen to death on drug charges in less than two years following a sharp downturn in ties over the arrest of an executive of tech giant Huawei. Ye Jianhui was sentenced Friday by the Foshan Municipal Intermediate Court in the southern province of Guangdong,...
After Ruling in Huawei Case,
China Charges 2 Canadians
Jun 19, 2020 12:19 AM CDT
After Ruling in Huawei Case, China Charges 2 Canadians
Detained men face espionage charges
- Chinese prosecutors charged two detained Canadians with spying Friday in an apparent bid to step up pressure on Canada to drop a US extradition request for a Huawei executive under house arrest in Vancouver. Michael Kovrig was charged in Beijing on suspicion of spying for state secrets and intelligence. Michael...
'Protesters' Demanding 'Free
Meng' Weren't Really Protesters
Jan 23, 2020 2:43 PM CST
'Protesters' Demanding 'Free Meng' Weren't Really Protesters
At least 3 have now come forward saying they were paid for the gig
- On the first day of the first stage of Huawei exec Meng Wanzhou's extradition hearing, more than a dozen apparent protesters were spotted outside the Vancouver courtroom holding signs bearing messages like "Free Ms. Meng" and "Trump stop bullying us." Only ... those weren't actually protesters....
It's a Big Day for Huawei
Exec Detained in Canada
Jan 20, 2020 3:18 PM CST
It's a Big Day for Huawei Exec Detained in Canada
First phase of Meng Wanzhou's extradition hearing begins
- The first stage of an extradition hearing for a senior executive of Chinese tech giant Huawei started in a Vancouver courtroom Monday, a case that has infuriated Beijing, caused a diplomatic uproar between China and Canada, and complicated high-stakes trade talks between China and the United States. The
Oct 24, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
Bannon Has Some Advice for Trump on Impeachment
Steve Bannon launches podcast to help president, suggests 'witch hunt' be retired
- Steve Bannon is no longer in President Trump's inner circle, but Bannon thinks that same inner circle is doing a lousy job defending the president over impeachment. As a result, Bannon has just a launched a daily podcast from the basement of his townhouse in DC to offer advice...
Apr 30, 2019 4:32 PM CDT
China Sentences Another Canadian to Death
Amid tension surrounding Canada's arrest of Huawei exec Meng Wanzhou
- A court in southern China handed down sentences Tuesday to at least six foreigners involved in an international methamphetamine operation, including a Canadian given the death penalty. The Jiangmen Intermediate People's Court in southern Guangdong province sentenced 11 people who produced more than 139 pounds of methamphetamine, the AP...
Next Move in China-Canada
Feud: Calling 2 Men Spies
Mar 4, 2019 1:32 PM CST
Next Move in China-Canada Feud: Calling 2 Men Spies
China alleges Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor tried to steal state secrets
- China accused two detained Canadians on Monday of acting together to steal state secrets, just days after Canada on Friday announced it will proceed with a US extradition request for Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou. China arrested the two Canadians on Dec. 10 in what was widely seen as an attempt...
Saga of Arrested Huawei
Executive Turns New Page
Mar 2, 2019 1:46 PM CST
Saga of Arrested Huawei Executive Turns New Page
Canada is willing to extradite Meng Wanzhou, but don't hold your breath
- Canada is allowing Huawei's CFO to be extradited to the US—but that doesn't mean she'll be extradited anytime soon. Mere hours before the deadline to decide, Canadian officials said Friday that US charges against Meng Wanzhou have met conditions for her extradition, the CBC reports. She...
US Hits Huawei, CFO
With Criminal Charges
Jan 28, 2019 7:00 PM CST
US Hits Huawei, CFO With Criminal Charges
How this affects the US-China trade war will remain to be seen
- The US Department of Justice unsealed a 13-count indictment against Chinese tech giant Huawei on Monday, including against two of its affiliates and its chief financial officer, the AP and Fox News report. The felony charges, which came in the form of two separate indictments—one a 10-count grand jury...
to China Fired
Jan 27, 2019 12:58 PM CST
Canada's Ambassador to China Fired After Controversial Huawei Comments
John McCallum publicly took issue with US extradition request
- Canada's (now former) ambassador to China lost the job amid the ongoing extradition case involving Huawei exec Meng Wanzhou . The US says Wanzhou, the Chinese telecoms giant's CFO, violated sanctions against Iran and is seeking her extradition; she was arrested in Canada in December, at the request of...
China Demands US Drop
Meng Wanzhou Extradition
Jan 22, 2019 12:11 AM CST
China Demands US Drop Meng Wanzhou Extradition
Minister says US shouldn't seek to have Canada send over detained Huawei executive
- China is demanding that the US drop a request that Canada extradite a top executive of the tech giant Huawei, shifting blame to Washington in a case that has severely damaged Beijing's relations with Ottawa. Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said Tuesday that Meng Wanzhou's case is out...
After Unusual Retrial, China
Sentences Canadian to Death
Jan 14, 2019 8:06 AM CST
After Unusual Retrial, China Sentences Canadian to Death
Robert Schellenberg convicted of drug smuggling as relations between nations worsen
- A 36-year-old Canadian man may have just become a bargaining chip between China and Canada. Robert Schellenberg was sentenced to death for drug smuggling on Monday, and the
Wall Street Journal
reports that Beijing appears to be trying to get leverage after the arrest of a Chinese business executive in...
A 'Bizarre' Accusation From
a Chinese Ambassador
Jan 10, 2019 2:34 AM CST
A 'Bizarre' Accusation From a Chinese Ambassador
China's ambassador to Canada calls out 'white supremacy' in an op-ed
- China's ambassador to Canada accused the country Wednesday of "white supremacy" in calling for the release of two Canadians detained in China last month, while describing the detentions as an "act of self-defense," the AP reports. The arrests were in apparent retaliation for the arrest of...
2nd Canadian Feared
Detained in China
Dec 13, 2018 12:34 AM CST
2nd Canadian Feared Detained in China
Canada tells Trump not to politicize Huawei case
- A second Canadian man is feared detained in China in what appears to be retaliation for Canada's arrest of a top executive of telecommunications giant Huawei. The possible arrest raises the stakes in an international dispute that threatens relations, the AP reports. Canada's Global Affairs department on Wednesday...
Trump Says He Could
Intervene in Huawei Case
Dec 12, 2018 5:07 AM CST
Trump Says He Could Intervene in Huawei Case
'Whatever's good for this country, I would do'
- Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou is out on bail in Vancouver —and whether her next destination is her home in China or a cell in the US could be up to President Trump. In an interview Tuesday with Reuters , Trump said he would consider intervening with the Justice Department in...
Freed on $7.5M Bail
Dec 12, 2018 12:03 AM CST
Meng Wanzhou Freed on $7.5M Bail
She has agreed to pay for 24/7 surveillance
- Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou walked free from a Vancouver courthouse Tuesday night after a bail hearing that lasted three days. She was released on bail of $10 million Canadian—around $7.5 million American—after BC Supreme Court Justice William Ehrcke decided the bail terms were enough to "offset...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
'Seemingly Impossible' DNA Task Earns Him a Nobel
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.