Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Jussie Smollett's Future
Is Made Clear
Jun 5, 2019 7:49 AM CDT
Jussie Smollett's Future on
Is Made Clear
There won't be one, says co-creator Lee Daniels
has one more season to go, but Jussie Smollett won't be in it. Co-creator Lee Daniels quashed all speculation that the character Jamal Lyon would feature in the sixth season in a Tuesday tweet . Responding to a
"Exclusive" about Smollett's rumored return, Daniels wrote, "...
May 23, 2019 2:34 PM CDT
Jussie Smollett’s Case File Ordered Unsealed
The move could mean public will be able to access the file
- A judge in Chicago ordered the file in Jussie Smollett's criminal case unsealed Thursday, saying the actor's actions did not appear to be those of someone seeking to maintain his privacy, the AP reports. The order by Cook County Circuit Court Judge Steven Watkins follows requests by the...
Fox: 'No Plans'
for Smollett to
Apr 30, 2019 7:02 PM CDT
Fox: 'No Plans' for Smollett to Return to
Though apparently there's a chance his character will be back eventually
- Fox Entertainment said Tuesday that Jussie Smollett will not return to his series
next season in the wake of allegations by Chicago officials the actor lied about a racially motivated attack, the AP reports. "By mutual agreement, the studio has negotiated an extension to Jussie Smollett's option...
Jussie Smollett Case Sees
Another Legal Wrinkle
Apr 23, 2019 12:25 PM CDT
Jussie Smollett Case Sees Another Legal Wrinkle
Osundairo brothers are suing actor's legal team for defamation
- Because the Jussie Smollett case needed one more legal twist: The brothers implicated in the alleged assault have filed a federal lawsuit against the actor's legal team, reports NBC Chicago . Olabinjio and Abmibola Osundairo accused attorneys Mark Geragos, Tina Glandian, and Geragos' law firm of defamation by repeatedly asserting...
She Recused Herself
From Smollett Case,
Then Texted About It
Apr 17, 2019 6:11 AM CDT
She Recused Herself From Smollett Case, Then Texted About It
Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx called actor a 'washed-up celeb'
and other media outlets sought a slew of police and prosecutor files related to the Jussie Smollett case; what they were able to obtain doesn't provide much insight into why the charges against Smollett were dismissed. But they do put Cook County State’s Attorney Kim...
Brother in 'Smollett Attack'
Makes a Name for Himself
Apr 14, 2019 5:30 PM CDT
Brother in 'Smollett Attack' Makes a Name for Himself
Abimbola 'Abel' Osundai wins an amateur boxing title
- One of two brothers who say Jussie Smollett paid them to help him stage a racist, anti-gay attack against himself has won an amateur boxing title in Chicago, the AP reports. The
reports that Abimbola "Abel" Osundairo became a Chicago Golden Gloves champion with a technical knockout...
Chicago Files Lawsuit
Against Jussie Smollett
Apr 12, 2019 3:05 AM CDT
Chicago Files Lawsuit Against Jussie Smollett
City wants him to pay police overtime costs
- The city of Chicago has made good on its promise to sue Jussie Smollett for the cost of investigating the attack it says he staged. In a lawsuit filed in Cook County Circuit Court on Thursday, city lawyers say they are seeking "the full measure of damages allowed under...
Chicago Says Smollett
Has Refused to Pay Up
Apr 5, 2019 3:26 AM CDT
Chicago Says Smollett Has Refused to Pay Up
City is taking Empire actor to court
- Chicago says it is taking Jussie Smollett to court for refusing to cough up $130,000 to reimburse the city for the investigation of the hate crime he allegedly staged. The city sent the
actor a bill last week , saying taxpayers deserved to get the money back. The city...
'They Said No
Mar 31, 2019 2:14 PM CDT
Chris Rock: 'They Said No Jussie Smollett Jokes.' Forget About That
The comedian cracks everyone up at the NAACP Image Awards
- Jussie Smollett didn't show up Saturday for the NAACP Image Awards in Hollywood, but Chris Rock did—and he didn't hold back,
reports. "They said 'No Jussie Smollett jokes,'" said Rock after he came onstage to present outstanding comedy series. "What...
'I Am Not
Mar 30, 2019 5:30 AM CDT
Jussie Smollett Investigator: 'I Am Not Perfect'
Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx says she's open to an outside investigation
- Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx is open to an outside investigation into her office's decision to drop all charges against Jussie Smollett, the prosecutor wrote in a newspaper editorial. Foxx said in a Friday night op-ed for the
that a review about prosecutors' decision to...
Host Hopes Jussie Smollett
Wins NAACP Image Award
Mar 29, 2019 4:37 AM CDT
Host Hopes Jussie Smollett Wins NAACP Image Award
'I hope he wins because I’d be interested to hear his speech'
- Jussie Smollett is nominated to win an award this weekend—and it's not for "Most Brazen Hoax." Instead, the
star has been nominated for an NAACP Image Award, and host Anthony Anderson says he hopes Smollett will win at Saturday's ceremony in Hollywood. "I...
Chicago Sends Smollett a Bill
for Police Investigation Costs
Mar 28, 2019 5:21 PM CDT
Chicago Sends Smollett a Bill for Police Investigation Costs
To the tune of $130K
- Mayor Rahm Emanuel wants actor Jussie Smollett to pay one way or another for allegedly falsely claiming he was the victim of a hate crime. Emanuel wanted Smollett, who was indicted on 16 counts, to face trial, but prosecutors dropped the charges. So Chicago police added up the costs of...
Trump: DOJ to Review
'Outrageous' Smollett Case
Mar 28, 2019 7:58 AM CDT
Trump: DOJ to Review 'Outrageous' Smollett Case
President tweets about the case
- All charges have been dropped against
actor Jussie Smollett, but the FBI is still reportedly on the case —and one person in particular hopes to keep the heat on it. President Trump, who'd railed against Smollett last month on Twitter for insulting "tens of millions" of...
Cops Release Records
on the Smollett Case
Mar 27, 2019 5:25 PM CDT
Cops Release Records on the Smollett Case
And top prosecutor Kim Foxx explains the decision not to prosecute
- "Right now, there's a lot of emotion." So said Chicago's head prosecutor Wednesday as she explained the thinking behind the dismissal of actor Jussie Smollett's case—a decision that angered Chicago's mayor and chief of police, WBEZ reports. Cook County State's Attorney Kim...
Report: FBI Is
Mar 27, 2019 4:36 AM CDT
Report: FBI Is Still Investigating Jussie Smollett
'We believe he did what he was charged with doing,' prosecutor says
- Authorities in Chicago are confused— and angry —about state prosecutors' decision to drop all charges against Jussie Smollett , but the
star might still end up back in court. Sources tell ABC that Smollett, who was accused of staging an attack on himself in late January, is still being...
Chicago Mayor on Smollett:
'This Is Not on the Level'
Mar 26, 2019 1:41 PM CDT
Chicago Mayor on Smollett: 'This Is Not on the Level'
Rahm Emanuel calls it a 'whitewash of justice' that charges were dropped
- Jussie Smollett talked to the media Tuesday after prosecutors dropped all 16 felony counts against the
actor, CBS Chicago reports. "I would not be my mother's son if I was capable of doing what I was accused of," he said in Chicago, referring to allegations that...
All Charges Dropped
Against Jussie Smollett
Mar 26, 2019 10:42 AM CDT
All Charges Dropped Against Jussie Smollett
'Empire' actor will forfeit his $10K bond, but attorneys say his record is 'wiped clean'
- The Jussie Smollett legal case is over in Chicago. Prosecutors in Cook County on Tuesday dropped all charges against the actor accused of making up a story about being attacked, reports NBC Chicago . The
describes the surprise move as being connected to a "deferred prosecution deal."...
Enters His Plea
Mar 14, 2019 11:20 AM CDT
Jussie Smollett Enters His Plea
As his TV dad looks on in support
- Jussie Smollett pleaded not guilty Thursday to 16 charges of lying to authorities. The
actor, 36, is accused of staging a racist and homophobic attack on himself Jan. 29. His TV father, Terrance Howard, was in the Chicago courtroom Thursday to support Smollett, Fox News reports. Smollett, who is...
Why Jussie Smollett
Decided to Attend
Mar 12, 2019 2:48 PM CDT
Why Jussie Smollett Decided to Attend Today's Hearing
He wanted 'to show confidence in his innocence,' rep says
- Jussie Smollett was not required to be in court Tuesday, but the
actor appeared at the Chicago hearing because "he's not hiding from anything," his rep tells NBC Chicago . "He wants to hold his head up high, show confidence in his innocence." The hearing...
Jussie Smollett Just Got
Hit With 16 More Felonies
Mar 8, 2019 5:02 PM CST
Jussie Smollett Just Got Hit With 16 More Felonies
Grand jury delivers bad news to actor accused of staging attack
- The news isn't getting any better for Jussie Smollett. A grand jury on Friday indicted the
actor on 16 felony counts related to his alleged staging of an attack on himself in Chicago, reports NBC News . Smollett already had been charged with one felony count of filing a...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Report Details Abuse Coverup by Southern Baptist Leaders
In These 10 Cities, Open Up Your Wallet to Buy a Home
Conway Spills on George, Kushner, Trump in New Book
Virginia Republicans Take Barnes & Noble to Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.