Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jussie Smollett Freed
Mar 16, 2022 9:46 PM CDT
Jussie Smollett Freed Pending Appeal
Actor released on personal recognizance
This story has been updated with additional details
. Jussie Smollett was released from jail Wednesday following six nights behind bars after an appeals court agreed with his lawyers that he should be free pending the appeal of his conviction for lying to police about a racist and homophobic attack. The...
'I Am Innocent!'
Mar 10, 2022 8:21 PM CST
Smollett After His Sentencing: 'I Am Innocent!'
Former 'Empire' actor gets 150 days, says he's not suicidal in case something happens in jail
This summary has been updated throughout.)
Jussie Smollett loudly maintained his innocence Thursday after a judge sentenced the former
actor to 150 days in jail for lying to police about a racist and homophobic attack that he was convicted of orchestrating himself. Cook County Judge James Linn...
Untouched Sandwich Made
Cops Suspicious of Smollett
Dec 11, 2021 9:45 AM CST
Untouched Sandwich Made Cops Suspicious of Smollett
Police thought it odd he still had it with him after alleged assault
- Jussie Smollett has been convicted of making up a story about being assaulted in Chicago, and a Subway sandwich seems to have played a role in why police questioned his account. The revelation comes from Eddie Johnson, who served as Chicago's police chief when the Smollett incident took place...
Smollett Convicted on 5 Counts
Dec 9, 2021 6:25 PM CST
Smollett Convicted on 5 Counts
Jury decides actor invented tale about being a victim of a hate crime
- A Chicago jury convicted Jussie Smollett on Thursday of falsely reporting that he was the victim of a hate crime in 2019. The former
actor was convicted of five charges and acquitted of one, NBC reports. Smollett showed no reaction as he stood facing the jury and heard the...
Smollett Says Witnesses
Demanded $2M From Him
Dec 7, 2021 7:36 PM CST
Smollett Says Witnesses Demanded $2M From Him
Defense has rested its case
- Jussie Smollett took the stand for a second day in his trial in Chicago Tuesday and leveled an accusation at the prosecution's two star witnesses. The former
actor said brothers Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo—who testified last week that Smollett had hired them to stage a hate crime...
'There Was No Hoax'
Dec 6, 2021 5:29 PM CST
Jussie Smollett: 'There Was No Hoax'
He says he had sexual relationship with key witness
- Jussie Smollett took the stand in his defense in the fifth day of his trial in Chicago Monday—and he strongly denied staging a hate crime against himself in early 2019. Last week, brothers Abimbola and Olabingo Osundairo—nicknamed "Bola" and "Ola"—testified that the former
As Trial Opens, Lawyer Says
'Jussie Smollett Is Real Victim'
Nov 30, 2021 12:01 AM CST
As Trial Opens, Lawyer Says 'Jussie Smollett Is Real Victim'
Defense paints brothers who allegedly attacked Smollett as liars
- Jussie Smollett “is a real victim” of a “real crime,” his attorney said as the ex-
actor's trial started Monday, rejecting prosecutors’ allegation that he staged a homophobic and racist attack in Chicago after the television studio where he worked didn’t take hate mail he...
Trial Starts Today
Nov 29, 2021 12:01 AM CST
Jussie Smollett Trial Starts Today
Nearly 3 years after his alleged attack made headlines
- Nearly three years after actor Jussie Smollett claimed he was the victim of a hate crime attack on the streets of Chicago, the openly gay Black actor is going on trial on charges that he faked the whole thing. Smollett, who did not appear on the final season of
Oct 17, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
Jussie Smollett Is Going to Trial
Judge refuses to dismiss case
Jussie Smollett is going to trial. The actor was accused of faking an attack on himself in January 2020 in Chicago, faced charges which were dropped, then charged again in February 2020. Smollett pleaded not guilty to six counts of felony disorderly conduct. His lawyers also tried to have...
Aug 17, 2020 5:17 PM CDT
Review Finds Fault With Prosecutor in Smollett Case
Investigation reveals abuses of discretion but no crimes
- A special prosecutor in Chicago said Monday that Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx and her office repeatedly abused their discretion and made false public statements in the case against actor Jussie Smollett last year, but he concluded they did nothing criminal. In his findings released after a monthslong...
in Jussie Smollett
Case Say They're Out
Jun 25, 2020 8:07 AM CDT
Key Witnesses in Jussie Smollett Case Say They're Out
Brothers are fed up with police hold on personal items
- The two brothers who admitted to helping Jussie Smollet stage a fake hate crime are no longer cooperating with prosecutors. That's according to a letter from the brothers' lawyer, obtained by the
, which reports the development stems from a police raid on the home of Abimbola "...
Same Plea for Jussie Smollett
Feb 24, 2020 2:17 PM CST
Same Courthouse, Same Plea for Jussie Smollett
Actor pleads not guilty to restored charges
actor Jussie Smollett pleaded not guilty Monday to restored charges that accuse him of staging a racist, homophobic attack against himself last year in Chicago and falsely reporting to police that the phony attack was real. His lawyer, Tina Glandian, entered the not guilty pleas on his behalf...
Hit With New Charges
Feb 11, 2020 4:32 PM CST
Jussie Smollett Hit With New Charges
Grand jury returns 6-count indictment accusing actor of lying to Chicago police
- A grand jury returned a six-count indictment accusing actor Jussie Smollett of lying to Chicago police, a special prosecutor announced Tuesday. The charges stem from Smollett's assertion that he was the target of a racist and homophobic attack in January 2019. Special prosecutor Dan Webb issued a statement announcing...
Donates to Flint KIDS
Dec 25, 2019 11:05 AM CST
Jussie Smollett Donates to Flint KIDS
Actor takes toys and backpacks
- Jussie Smollett has played Santa to Michigan children, surprising students at a school in Flint with toys and backpacks. The embattled actor made the deliveries with Mari Copeny, an activist known as Little Miss Flint, TMZ reports. Smollett also gave $10,000 to the Flint KIDS program.
The 10 Most-Googled
Terms of the Year
Dec 11, 2019 10:20 AM CST
The 10 Most-Googled Terms of the Year
Disney Plus tops the list, and yes, 'Baby Yoda' makes an appearance on a sub-list
- What did Americans want to know about this year? Google is letting us know via its annual list of the most-searched-for terms in the US:
Disney Plus :
Disney's addition to the ever-growing list of streaming services tops the list for 2019.
Cameron Boyce :
The Disney Channel star was found
Yet Another Turn
Nov 20, 2019 2:20 PM CST
Jussie Smollett Saga Takes Yet Another Turn
Former 'Empire' actor files counterclaim against city of Chicago
- The latest in the Jussie Smollett legal saga: The former
actor has countersued Chicago after the city sued him in April in an attempt to recoup the cost of the police investigation into what authorities say was a hoax attack staged by the actor in January. Smollett had already...
Is Just Like
Oct 28, 2019 4:14 PM CDT
Trump: Jussie Smollett 'Scam' Is Just Like Impeachment 'Scam'
President speaks to police conference in Chicago
- Jussie Smollett's claim that attackers yelling "MAGA country" beat him up in Chicago was "a scam"—just like the impeachment inquiry surrounding President Trump, Trump says. The POTUS was in Chicago Monday speaking at the International Association of Chiefs of Police conference, and he had this...
Smollett to Cops:
Not My Fault
Sep 5, 2019 2:00 PM CDT
Smollett to Cops: Not My Fault You Spent So Much
Lawyers attempt to toss lawsuit from city of Chicago
- Jussie Smollett's legal team says "it's ridiculous and a stretch" to make him pay Chicago $130,000 to cover the cost of the police investigation into his alleged attack in January, reports the
. "The filing of a police report, in and of itself, does...
Police Release Video
in Jussie Smollett Case
Jun 25, 2019 1:24 AM CDT
Police Release Video in Jussie Smollett Case
Body cam footage shows actor with rope around neck
- Police in Chicago have released more than 70 hours of video relating to the bizarre Jussie Smollett case—including body camera footage from officers responding to the hate crime the actor allegedly staged. In footage from his home, Smollett can be seen with a white rope around his neck, NBC...
A Big Surprise Turn
in Jussie Smollett Case
Jun 21, 2019 3:35 PM CDT
A Big Surprise Turn in Jussie Smollett Case
Special prosecutor to investigate 'unprecedented irregularities,' and Smollett may not be in the clear
- A judge has ordered that a special prosecutor investigate "the unprecedented irregularities" in prosecutor Kim Foxx's handling of the Jussie Smollett case. And Smollett himself may face new legal trouble as a result. Foxx should have requested a special prosecutor when she recused herself from the case, Judge...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Sandy Hook Families Give Alex Jones Options for Paying
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.