Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Add Newser to your home screen?
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Same Courthouse, Same Plea for Jussie Smollett
Actor pleads not guilty to restored charges
actor Jussie Smollett pleaded not guilty Monday to restored charges that accuse him of staging a racist, homophobic attack against himself last year in Chicago and falsely reporting to police that the phony attack was real. His lawyer, Tina Glandian, entered the not guilty pleas on his behalf...
Jussie Smollett Hit With New Charges
Grand jury returns 6-count indictment accusing actor of lying to Chicago police
- A grand jury returned a six-count indictment accusing actor Jussie Smollett of lying to Chicago police, a special prosecutor announced Tuesday. The charges stem from Smollett's assertion that he was the target of a racist and homophobic attack in January 2019. Special prosecutor Dan Webb issued a statement announcing...
Jussie Smollett Donates to Flint KIDS
Actor takes toys and backpacks
- Jussie Smollett has played Santa to Michigan children, surprising students at a school in Flint with toys and backpacks. The embattled actor made the deliveries with Mari Copeny, an activist known as Little Miss Flint, TMZ reports. Smollett also gave $10,000 to the Flint KIDS program.
The 10 Most-Googled Terms of the Year
Disney Plus tops the list, and yes, 'Baby Yoda' makes an appearance on a sub-list
- What did Americans want to know about this year? Google is letting us know via its annual list of the most-searched-for terms in the US:
Disney Plus :
Disney's addition to the ever-growing list of streaming services tops the list for 2019.
Cameron Boyce :
The Disney Channel star was found
Jussie Smollett Saga Takes Yet Another Turn
Former 'Empire' actor files counterclaim against city of Chicago
- The latest in the Jussie Smollett legal saga: The former
actor has countersued Chicago after the city sued him in April in an attempt to recoup the cost of the police investigation into what authorities say was a hoax attack staged by the actor in January. Smollett had already...
Trump: Jussie Smollett 'Scam' Is Just Like Impeachment 'Scam'
President speaks to police conference in Chicago
- Jussie Smollett's claim that attackers yelling "MAGA country" beat him up in Chicago was "a scam"—just like the impeachment inquiry surrounding President Trump, Trump says. The POTUS was in Chicago Monday speaking at the International Association of Chiefs of Police conference, and he had this...
Smollett to Cops: Not My Fault You Spent So Much
Lawyers attempt to toss lawsuit from city of Chicago
- Jussie Smollett's legal team says "it's ridiculous and a stretch" to make him pay Chicago $130,000 to cover the cost of the police investigation into his alleged attack in January, reports the
. "The filing of a police report, in and of itself, does...
Police Release Video in Jussie Smollett Case
Body cam footage shows actor with rope around neck
- Police in Chicago have released more than 70 hours of video relating to the bizarre Jussie Smollett case—including body camera footage from officers responding to the hate crime the actor allegedly staged. In footage from his home, Smollett can be seen with a white rope around his neck, NBC...
A Big Surprise Turn in Jussie Smollett Case
Special prosecutor to investigate 'unprecedented irregularities,' and Smollett may not be in the clear
- A judge has ordered that a special prosecutor investigate "the unprecedented irregularities" in prosecutor Kim Foxx's handling of the Jussie Smollett case. And Smollett himself may face new legal trouble as a result. Foxx should have requested a special prosecutor when she recused herself from the case, Judge...
Jussie Smollett's Future on
Is Made Clear
There won't be one, says co-creator Lee Daniels
has one more season to go, but Jussie Smollett won't be in it. Co-creator Lee Daniels quashed all speculation that the character Jamal Lyon would feature in the sixth season in a Tuesday tweet . Responding to a
"Exclusive" about Smollett's rumored return, Daniels wrote, "...
Jussie Smollett’s Case File Ordered Unsealed
The move could mean public will be able to access the file
- A judge in Chicago ordered the file in Jussie Smollett's criminal case unsealed Thursday, saying the actor's actions did not appear to be those of someone seeking to maintain his privacy, the AP reports. The order by Cook County Circuit Court Judge Steven Watkins follows requests by the...
Fox: 'No Plans' for Smollett to Return to
Though apparently there's a chance his character will be back eventually
- Fox Entertainment said Tuesday that Jussie Smollett will not return to his series
next season in the wake of allegations by Chicago officials the actor lied about a racially motivated attack, the AP reports. "By mutual agreement, the studio has negotiated an extension to Jussie Smollett's option...
Jussie Smollett Case Sees Another Legal Wrinkle
Osundairo brothers are suing actor's legal team for defamation
- Because the Jussie Smollett case needed one more legal twist: The brothers implicated in the alleged assault have filed a federal lawsuit against the actor's legal team, reports NBC Chicago . Olabinjio and Abmibola Osundairo accused attorneys Mark Geragos, Tina Glandian, and Geragos' law firm of defamation by repeatedly asserting...
She Recused Herself From Smollett Case, Then Texted About It
Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx called actor a 'washed-up celeb'
and other media outlets sought a slew of police and prosecutor files related to the Jussie Smollett case; what they were able to obtain doesn't provide much insight into why the charges against Smollett were dismissed. But they do put Cook County State’s Attorney Kim...
Brother in 'Smollett Attack' Makes a Name for Himself
Abimbola 'Abel' Osundai wins an amateur boxing title
- One of two brothers who say Jussie Smollett paid them to help him stage a racist, anti-gay attack against himself has won an amateur boxing title in Chicago, the AP reports. The
reports that Abimbola "Abel" Osundairo became a Chicago Golden Gloves champion with a technical knockout...
Chicago Files Lawsuit Against Jussie Smollett
City wants him to pay police overtime costs
- The city of Chicago has made good on its promise to sue Jussie Smollett for the cost of investigating the attack it says he staged. In a lawsuit filed in Cook County Circuit Court on Thursday, city lawyers say they are seeking "the full measure of damages allowed under...
Chicago Says Smollett Has Refused to Pay Up
City is taking Empire actor to court
- Chicago says it is taking Jussie Smollett to court for refusing to cough up $130,000 to reimburse the city for the investigation of the hate crime he allegedly staged. The city sent the
actor a bill last week , saying taxpayers deserved to get the money back. The city...
Chris Rock: 'They Said No Jussie Smollett Jokes.' Forget About That
The comedian cracks everyone up at the NAACP Image Awards
- Jussie Smollett didn't show up Saturday for the NAACP Image Awards in Hollywood, but Chris Rock did—and he didn't hold back,
reports. "They said 'No Jussie Smollett jokes,'" said Rock after he came onstage to present outstanding comedy series. "What...
Jussie Smollett Investigator: 'I Am Not Perfect'
Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx says she's open to an outside investigation
- Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx is open to an outside investigation into her office's decision to drop all charges against Jussie Smollett, the prosecutor wrote in a newspaper editorial. Foxx said in a Friday night op-ed for the
that a review about prosecutors' decision to...
Host Hopes Jussie Smollett Wins NAACP Image Award
'I hope he wins because I’d be interested to hear his speech'
- Jussie Smollett is nominated to win an award this weekend—and it's not for "Most Brazen Hoax." Instead, the
star has been nominated for an NAACP Image Award, and host Anthony Anderson says he hopes Smollett will win at Saturday's ceremony in Hollywood. "I...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Has a First in Poll
Union Turning Over 'Every Rock' Just Found 39M N95 Masks
Student Working Drive-Thru Shift Gets Best Customer Ever
In Wuhan, a Few Test Positive After Recovery
Ex-Biden Aide Makes Harrowing Accusation
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Suggest a Story
Get our apps
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.