Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
El Paso shooting
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Domestic Terrorism Data,
a Clear Trend Emerges
Apr 12, 2021 2:04 PM CDT
In Domestic Terrorism Data, a Clear Trend Emerges
Attacks by far-right groups, often white supremacists, lead the way
has done a deep dive into domestic terrorism incidents in the US over the last six years and found a clear trend: Attacks by far-right groups have far exceeded those by far-left groups. Some highlights from the analysis, based on data from the Center for Strategic and...
Victim, 8 Months on
Apr 27, 2020 12:48 AM CDT
Walmart Shooting Claims Another Victim, 8 Months on
Guillermo 'Memo' Garcia dies of his injuries
- The death toll from the August mass shooting at an El Paso Walmart is now 23. More than eight months after he was shot in the store's parking lot, Guillermo “Memo” Garcia has died, KTSM reports. The soccer coach leaves behind his wife and two children . Twenty girls...
Hero of Walmart Shooting
Was Homeless: Cops
Jan 29, 2020 9:22 AM CST
Hero of Walmart Shooting Was Homeless: Cops
El Paso police finally identify transient day laborer Lazaro Ponce as man who rescued infant
- El Paso police say they've finally identified a hero of the mass shooting that killed 22 people at a Walmart on Aug. 3. Surveillance footage captured a man running out of the store carrying an infant whose parents had been fatally shot . A second video showed the man approaching...
As El Paso Survivors Struggle,
Defendant Pleads Not Guilty
Oct 10, 2019 6:05 PM CDT
As El Paso Survivors Struggle, Defendant Pleads Not Guilty
Victims' relatives attend brief hearing
- The man charged with killing 22 people at a Walmart in El Paso appeared in court Thursday, pleading not guilty to capital murder charges. He told the judge he didn't want the charges read to him,
reports. Police documents said that he had confessed to the Aug....
Cops: El Paso Shooting
'Hero' Made Up His Story
Sep 12, 2019 3:09 AM CDT
Cops: El Paso Shooting 'Hero' Made Up His Story
Chris Grant was honored by President Trump Monday
- For many people, the day they visited the White House to be honored for heroic actions would be one to remember with pride. It didn't work out that way for El Paso mass shooting survivor Christopher Grant. The 50-year-old was arrested by Secret Service agents when he arrived with...
Walmart Announces Its Plans
for El Paso Store Where 22 Died
Aug 23, 2019 9:37 AM CDT
Walmart Announces Its Plans for El Paso Store Where 22 Died
Mass shooting site will reopen with a rebuilt interior
- Walmart plans to reopen the El Paso store where 22 people were killed in a shooting earlier this month, the retail giant said Thursday, but the entire interior of the building will first be rebuilt. The renovated store will include an on-site memorial honoring the victims of the shooting, many...
Letter Sent by Texas Governor
Day Before El Paso Is Published
Aug 23, 2019 6:53 AM CDT
Letter Sent by Texas Governor Day Before El Paso Is Published
Aug. 2 letter cited undocumented immigrants
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and other high-profile Republicans in the state have "faced increasing scrutiny over their anti-immigrant language" in the aftermath of the El Paso mass shooting, observes the
. Some of that scrutiny is now turning to an "urgent" fundraising letter from Abbott that was dated...
Alleged El Paso Shooter
Now on Suicide Watch
Aug 20, 2019 1:21 AM CDT
Alleged El Paso Shooter Now on Suicide Watch
El Paso suspect is accused of killing 22
- Jail officials do not want alleged El Paso mass shooter Patrick Crusius to become the next Jeffrey Epstein. An El Paso County Sheriff's Office spokesperson tells KVIA that the 21-year-old is now on suicide watch at the El Paso County Detention Facility, where he was already segregated from the...
Hundreds Came for
His Wife's Funeral. Then
One Came for His Car
Aug 19, 2019 3:24 AM CDT
Hundreds Came for His Wife's Funeral. Then One Came for His Car
Antonio Basco's SUV was stolen and wrecked a day after he buried wife killed in El Paso shooting
- Antonio Basco, whose wife was killed in the El Paso mass shooting, may have had some of his faith in humanity restored when hundreds of strangers turned up for her funeral . The next day, however, his SUV was stolen and wrecked, ABC7 reports. "WTF is wrong with people,"...
He Invited Strangers to His
Wife's Funeral. Hundreds Came
Aug 17, 2019 6:00 AM CDT
He Invited Strangers to His Wife's Funeral. Hundreds Came
Mourners joined Antonio Basco in paying respects to wife Margie Reckard, killed in El Paso shooting
- He invited them, and they came. Antonio Basco, whose wife, 63-year-old Margie Reckard, was killed in the mass shooting in El Paso, Texas, on Aug. 3, didn't have family of his own in the El Paso area and was worried not many people would show at her funeral, so...
Beto Rejoins the Race, With
New, Trump-Centric Strategy
Aug 15, 2019 2:05 PM CDT
Beto Rejoins the Race, With New, Trump-Centric Strategy
O'Rourke says he'll now frame his White House bid as a battle against the president
- Democrat Beto O'Rourke rejoined the presidential race on Thursday following a nearly two-week pause—using a speech in his Texas hometown where a mass shooting killed 22 people to overhaul his White House bid and argue that President Trump is morally unfit for a second term. The former congressman...
No Family Left
After Wife Killed
in El Paso, Man
Issues an Invite
Aug 14, 2019 7:57 AM CDT
No Family Left After Wife Killed in El Paso, Man Issues an Invite
Antonio Basco has invited the general public to Friday funeral for Margie Reckard, 63
- Antonio Basco lost his "angel" in the El Paso mass shooting , and now he's inviting the public to her funeral. Basco's wife, Margie Reckard, 63, was one of the 22 victims fatally shot in a Walmart earlier this month, and because Basco has no remaining family now...
Mexicans Were His Target,
El Paso Suspect Said: Police
Aug 9, 2019 4:29 PM CDT
Mexicans Were His Target, El Paso Suspect Said: Police
Court filing says he told officers he wanted to kill Mexicans
- "I'm the shooter," Patrick Crusius said, his hands up, when he was arrested Saturday after the mass shooting at a Walmart in El Paso. Police filed an affidavit Friday detailing the arrest. Crusius is charged with capital murder in the deaths of 22 people, the
Police Identify Armed Man
Arrested at Walmart
Aug 9, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Police Identify Armed Man Arrested at Walmart
It's still not clear what charges Dmitriy Andreychenko will face
- We now know the identity of the man who set off a scare at a Missouri Walmart by walking in with a tactical rifle. But little else—including his motive and any possible charges—remain unclear. On Friday, police identified the man as 20-year-old Dmitriy Andreychenko, reports the AP . He...
Tucker Carlson's Job Looks
Safe Amid New Controversy
Aug 9, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Tucker Carlson's Job Looks Safe Amid New Controversy
Fox host made controversial comments on white supremacy before leaving for vacation
- Fox News' Tucker Carlson is once again in the hot seat over controversial comments, and Carlson is now on vacation until Aug. 19 as critics ramp up calls for an advertiser boycott. The latest flap is Carlson's assertion, in the wake of the El Paso mass shooting , that white...
2 Opposing Takes
on Trump's El Paso Visit
Aug 8, 2019 8:19 AM CDT
2 Opposing Takes on Trump's El Paso Visit
Critic sees it as possible turning point against him, while supporter sees Democrats' hypocrisy
- President Trump's visits on Wednesday to El Paso and Dayton to meet with victims of the cities' mass shootings have led to polar-opposite reactions. Two examples:
New York Times
, El Paso native Richard Parker writes that Trump "seemed to shrink" in the city. "
Boy, 11, Has a
Challenge for El Paso
Aug 6, 2019 9:20 AM CDT
Boy, 11, Has a Challenge for El Paso
'We can make the world a better place,' says 11-year-old Ruben Martinez
- An 11-year-old is helping El Paso heal by inspiring random acts of kindness. Ruben Martinez told his mother he no longer wanted to visit stores following Saturday's mass shooting inside a Walmart. "I explained to him that we could not live in fear and that people in our...
Last Body Removed From
Walmart, Then Death Toll Rose
Aug 5, 2019 12:51 PM CDT
Last Body Removed From Walmart, Then Death Toll Rose
Number killed in El Paso now stands at 22
- The number of people killed at an El Paso Walmart has increased by two to 22, officials said Monday, as two of the wounded succumbed to their injuries. The El Paso PD tweeted news of the two additional deaths this morning. Neither victim's name has been released. ABC News...
Trump, Biden Goof
on Shooting Locations
Aug 5, 2019 11:29 AM CDT
Trump, Biden Goof on Shooting Locations
As the president places some blame on 'gruesome and grizzly video games'
- The president on Monday spoke out against the weekend shootings in Texas and Ohio, first on Twitter and then in a 10-minute address from the Diplomatic Reception Room. Trump tweeted in part that "Republicans and Democrats must come together and get strong background checks, perhaps marrying.... ....this legislation with...
'Cesspool of Hate' Offline
After El Paso Shooting
Aug 5, 2019 6:51 AM CDT
'Cesspool of Hate' Offline After El Paso Shooting
Even 8chan's creator says, 'Shut the site down' after suspect apparently posted manifesto there
- A "lawless" online message board is now offline after the suspected gunman in Saturday's shooting in El Paso, Texas, apparently posted what CNN Business calls a "hate-filled screed" there before the massacre. The reason that security services provider Cloudflare yanked support for 8chan: "They have proven...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
Schwarzenegger in Multi-Vehicle Accident
Mom's Remarks Over Face Masks Lead to Charges
Clarence Thomas' Wife the Focus of Critical New Profile
Passengers in NC Plane Landing Got a Wild Ride
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.