Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'SharpieGate' Report Describes
Political Pressure, Broken Rules
Jun 17, 2020 8:47 AM CDT
'SharpieGate' Report Describes Political Pressure, Broken Rules
Investigation finds NOAA chief violated agency's scientific integrity policy
- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's chief violated the agency's scientific integrity policy last year in backing President Trump's claim that a hurricane was headed for Alabama . In reproving employees for contradicting Trump, NOAA Acting Administrator Neil Jacobs "engaged in the misconduct intentionally, knowingly, or in...
Isn't Great News
May 21, 2020 2:42 PM CDT
Hurricane Forecast Isn't Great News
More storms than usual are forecast for the Atlantic
- Because the pandemic wasn't enough of a challenge: A stronger-than-usual hurricane season is forecast for the Atlantic. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predicts up to 19 named storms, including up to 10 hurricanes, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The typical numbers are 12 and 6, respectively. Of those...
Emails Show Fallout
After 'Crazy' Trump Claim
Feb 1, 2020 3:30 PM CST
Emails Show Fallout After 'Crazy' Trump Claim
NOAA scientists reacted to Trump saying that Hurricane Dorian would hit Alabama
- A flurry of newly released emails from scientists and top officials at the federal agency responsible for weather forecasting clearly illustrates the consternation and outright alarm caused by President Donald Trump’s false claim that Hurricane Dorian could hit Alabama, the AP reports. A top National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration...
The 10 Most-Googled
Terms of the Year
Dec 11, 2019 10:20 AM CST
The 10 Most-Googled Terms of the Year
Disney Plus tops the list, and yes, 'Baby Yoda' makes an appearance on a sub-list
- What did Americans want to know about this year? Google is letting us know via its annual list of the most-searched-for terms in the US:
Disney Plus :
Disney's addition to the ever-growing list of streaming services tops the list for 2019.
Cameron Boyce :
The Disney Channel star was found
First a Basketball Stunner.
Then Stunning Generosity
Nov 27, 2019 11:22 AM CST
First a Basketball Stunner. Then Stunning Generosity
Donations pour in for Nathan Bain's family
- In what the AP calls a "shocker for the ages," the unranked Stephen F. Austin managed to beat No. 1 Duke 85-83 Tuesday night. Nathan Bain was the hero thanks to his layup at the buzzer during overtime, a shot he had to traverse nearly the full court...
3 Castaway Cows
Nov 14, 2019 2:00 AM CST
3 Castaway Cows Survived Being Swept Away by Hurricane
Survivors found grazing in Outer Banks
- Three cows swept away from North Carolina's Cedar Island by Hurricane Dorian in early September were presumed dead, along with dozens of wild horses. But they had actually built new lives as castaways in the Outer Banks, the BBC reports. Authorities believe that after they were swept away by...
Makes Desperate Plea
Sep 29, 2019 1:45 PM CDT
Battered Bahamas Makes Desperate Plea
Prime Minister Hubert Minnis asks world leaders to tackle climate change
- As the Bahamas strives to recover from Hurricane Dorian, Prime Minister Hubert Minnis appealed to world leaders Friday to tackle climate change—and encouraged travelers to visit to help the country rebuild, the AP reports. Telling the UN General Assembly the storm was "a generational tragedy" for his country,...
a Miracle Find
Sep 15, 2019 8:42 AM CDT
Amid Dorian's Wreckage, a Miracle Find
Volunteer helicopter pilot finds small village of survivors in the rubble
- "He had this intuition that he had to fly back over," says Angela Johnson of her helicopter pilot husband Justin's sense that he had to return to a debris field on Little Abaco Island. Justin Johnson was volunteering in the wake of Hurricane Dorian's destruction, and...
Hurricane Survivor, 12,
Was Sent to Migrant
Sep 13, 2019 4:41 AM CDT
Hurricane Survivor, 12, Was Sent to Migrant Detention Center
Bahamian girl has now been reunited with family
- A 12-year-old girl from the Bahamas who ended up in a migrant detention center in Florida after fleeing the destruction caused by Hurricane Dorian has been reunited with her family. Kaytora Paul flew to Miami with her godmother on Sunday after being evacuated from hard-hit Abaco Island, where the roof...
Makes Big Move
Sep 10, 2019 5:22 PM CDT
Michael Jordan Makes Big Move for Bahamas
NBA legend donates $1M for hurricane relief
- Hurricane Dorian devastated the Bahamas, and Michael Jordan says he, too, is "devastated" when he looks at the destruction. The former NBA great has a personal link to the islands, "where I own property and visit frequently," he says in a statement obtained by TMZ . And so...
Report: Wilbur Ross Intervened
After Trump's Dorian Tweet
Sep 10, 2019 3:21 AM CDT
Report: Wilbur Ross Intervened After Trump's Dorian Tweet
Sources say commerce chief threatened firings at NOAA
- Hurricane Dorian is now dissipating over the North Atlantic—but the political storm that began with President Trump's incorrect claim that the hurricane was expected to hit Alabama is still with us. Sources tell the
New York Times
that Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross threatened to fire senior National Oceanic...
Trump Contradicts Official on
Bahamians' Travel Documents
Sep 9, 2019 5:45 PM CDT
Trump Contradicts Official on Bahamians' Travel Documents
President wants to keep out 'some very bad people'
- Anyone in the Bahamas whose life is in danger is "going to be allowed to come to the United States, whether you have travel documents or not." On the other hand, "Everybody needs totally proper documentation." The first statement came Monday from the acting head of...
Before Alabama Controversy,
NOAA Staff Had Been Warned
Sep 9, 2019 1:03 AM CDT
Before Alabama Controversy, NOAA Staff Had Been Warned
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration told staff not to contradict Trump
- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration on Friday issued a statement backing President Trump's claim, nearly a week prior, that Alabama faced serious risk from Hurricane Dorian. NOAA's support of Trump was a head-scratcher, because the National Weather Service (a NOAA agency) had quickly refuted Trump's claim...
Dorian Turns Wrath on Canada
Sep 8, 2019 8:21 AM CDT
Dorian Turns Wrath on Canada
Storm brings 80mph winds to country's eastern coast
- The storm that has already walloped the Virgin Islands, Bahamas, and North Carolina is now bringing hurricane-force winds to far-eastern Canada, reports the AP . Dorian has knocked out power to hundreds of thousands of people, toppled a huge construction crane, and ripped roofs off apartments in the city of Halifax....
Va. University to
Victims: Come on In
Sep 8, 2019 7:18 AM CDT
Va. University to Dorian's Student Victims: Come on In
Hampton University is offering free tuition to Bahamas students displaced by hurricane
- One silver lining has emerged in the wake of Hurricane Dorian's destruction in the Bahamas: Two university presidents—friends and former colleagues—have arranged for students at the devastated University of the Bahamas to attend Hampton University in Virginia tuition-free for a semester. As the
New York Times
Heads Toward Canada
Sep 7, 2019 1:45 PM CDT
Dorian Strengthens, Heads Toward Canada
Outer Banks assesses the damage
- Skies cleared and floodwaters receded Saturday from North Carolina's Outer Banks, leaving behind a muddy trail of destruction wrought by Hurricane Dorian, which still was expected to unleash powerful winds in New England and Nova Scotia. Dorian's worst damage in the US appeared to be on Ocracoke Island,...
NOAA Takes on NWS in
Trump Storm Controversy
Sep 7, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
NOAA Takes on NWS in Trump Storm Controversy
NOAA backs Trump; head of NWS Employees Organization calls NOAA remarks 'disgusting'
- We're in Day 6 of the metaphorical storm swirling around President Trump regarding a literal storm, and now the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has been dragged into it. CNN reports the government agency issued a statement Friday backing the president's claim on Sunday that the state of...
In NC, Dorian May Trap
Hundreds in Attics
Sep 6, 2019 1:45 PM CDT
In NC, Dorian May Trap Hundreds in Attics
Category 1 hurricane howls in the Outer Banks
- A weakened Hurricane Dorian flooded homes on North Carolina's Outer Banks on Friday with a ferocity that took even storm-hardened residents by surprise, forcing people to retreat to their attics. Hundreds were feared trapped by high water, per the AP .
Sheriff's officials sent medics and other
Trump Pressed Fox Reporter
Over Alabama Controversy
Sep 6, 2019 10:17 AM CDT
Trump Pressed Fox Reporter Over Alabama Controversy
President again tweets about the hurricane controversy
- President Trump
doesn't want to let this days-long Alabama-Hurricane Dorian mess fade to memory. Not content with numerous tweets repeating his claim that the state was threatened by the storm, Trump called Fox News senior White House correspondent John Roberts into the Oval Office on Thursday to repeat...
'Staggering' Death Toll
Expected in Bahamas
Sep 6, 2019 6:26 AM CDT
'Staggering' Death Toll Expected in Bahamas
International aid effort is gaining momentum
- The official death toll from Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas now stands at 30, but with hundreds, possibly thousands of people missing, authorities say the final count could be "staggering." "The public needs to prepare for unimaginable information about the death toll and the human suffering,"...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
Doritos Caters to Gamers With Crunch-Silencing App
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.