Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Fatally Shot Her
Aug 6, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
Ex-Cop Who Fatally Shot Her Neighbor Loses Her Appeal
Amber Guyger could still ask the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals to review the case
- A Texas appeals court on Thursday upheld the murder conviction of a former Dallas police officer who was sentenced to prison for fatally shooting her neighbor in his home, the AP reports. A panel of three state judges ruled that a Dallas County jury had sufficient evidence to convict Amber...
It Really Wasn't Murder
Aug 8, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
Amber Guyger: It Really Wasn't Murder
The former Dallas police officer appeals her sentence
- The former Dallas cop who killed an unarmed Black man in his own home—a deadly mistake—has formally appealed her sentence , per CNN . Amber Guyger's lawyers are calling her murder conviction unfair because she considered Botham Jean, 26, a threat at the time. A lighter sentence for criminally...
Cops: Guyger Witness's Murder
Was Drug Deal Gone Wrong
Oct 8, 2019 6:00 PM CDT
Cops: Guyger Witness's Murder Was Drug Deal Gone Wrong
One suspect arrested, two others sought
- Police have identified three suspects in the murder of Joshua Brown, who testified for the prosecution in the murder trial of former Dallas cop Amber Guyger. One of the three has already been arrested. Authorities say Jacquerious Mitchell, 20; Michael Mitchell, 32; and Thaddeous Green, 22, traveled from Louisiana to...
Mystery Surrounds Murder of
Witness in Amber Guyger Trial
Oct 7, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Mystery Surrounds Murder of Witness in Amber Guyger Trial
Dallas mayor asks public to 'refrain from speculation'
- A key witness for the prosecution in Amber Guyger's murder trial was shot and killed days after the former Dallas cop was convicted and sentenced—but the city's mayor has a simple request for anyone whose mind is in overdrive right now: "Refrain from speculation." Those...
Key Witness in
Trial Shot, Killed
Oct 6, 2019 5:45 AM CDT
Key Witness in Amber Guyger Trial Shot, Killed
Joshua Brown shot to death in a parking lot just days after Dallas police officer hears her fate
- A witness in the murder trial of a white Dallas police officer who fatally shot her black neighbor has been killed in a shooting, the
Dallas Morning News
reports. Authorities said Joshua Brown, who lived in the same apartment complex as Amber Guyger and Botham Jean, was shot and killed...
This Is Why I
Oct 4, 2019 12:10 PM CDT
Victim's Brother: This Is Why I Hugged the Shooter
Brandt Jean talks about his now-famous embrace with Amber Guyger
- Feelings are "mixed" about the "remarkable" hug that the younger brother of Botham Jean gave to Amber Guyger at her sentencing hearing, per the Jean family attorney, but one person who's sure that what he did was right is Brandt Jean, ABC News reports. The 18-year-old made...
a Bible, and Herself
Oct 4, 2019 10:16 AM CDT
Judge Hands Amber Guyger a Bible, and Herself Controversy
Critics say Tammy Kemp shouldn't have been 'proselytizing' in court as a government worker
- Convicted murderer Amber Guyger got a "remarkable" hug from the brother of her victim, Botham Jean, during her sentencing hearing Wednesday, and then she got one from presiding Judge Tammy Kemp. Now Kemp is facing complaints, both for the hug but also for a possible legal violation. With one...
Botham Jean's Mom Speaks
Out on Son's 'Remarkable' Hug
Oct 3, 2019 11:03 AM CDT
Botham Jean's Mom Speaks Out on Son's 'Remarkable' Hug
Brandt Jean made headlines when he hugged Amber Guyger after her sentencing
- Botham Jean's mother, Allison Jean, says it was "remarkable" that her other son, Brandt Jean, hugged his brother's killer after she was sentenced to 10 years in prison for fatally shooting Botham Jean in his own apartment when she mistook it for her own. But, Allison Jean...
Dallas Cop Who Killed
Neighbor Hears Her Fate
Oct 2, 2019 4:24 PM CDT
Dallas Cop Who Killed Neighbor Hears Her Fate
Amber Guyger shows little emotion as the sentence is read in court
- A white Dallas police officer was sentenced Wednesday to 10 years in prison for killing her black neighbor in his apartment, which she said she mistook for her own unit one floor below, the AP reports. Amber Guyger didn't appear to show much reaction, at least from the angle...
Verdict Is in for Ex-Cop
Who Killed Man in His Home
Oct 1, 2019 11:36 AM CDT
Verdict Is in for Ex-Cop Who Killed Man in His Home
Amber Guyger is found guilty of murder
- The verdict is in for Amber Guyger. On Tuesday a Dallas jury unanimously found her guilty of murdering Botham Jean after entering his apartment last year by mistake, NBC News reports. The former Dallas police officer had pleaded not guilty, saying her building's floor plan was confusing, but prosecutors...
Cop Accused of Killing Man in
His Home: I Wish He'd Shot Me
Sep 27, 2019 1:40 PM CDT
Cop Accused of Killing Man in His Home: I Wish He'd Shot Me
At murder trial, ex-Dallas cop Amber Guyger says she thought Botham Jean was going to kill her
- The former Dallas cop who shot and killed neighbor Botham Jean in his own apartment took the stand Friday morning at her Texas murder trial, emotional as her defense team continued to insist that Jean's death was a "tragic but innocent" mistake that happened after she entered his...
on Dallas Cop's
Texts the Night
Sep 24, 2019 3:29 PM CDT
Prosecutors Focus on Dallas Cop's Texts the Night She Fatally Shot Neighbor
Amber Guyger was exchanging sexually explicit messages with partner all day: prosecutors
- The former Dallas police officer who allegedly shot and killed a man after entering the wrong apartment texted her partner as the man lay dying, according to testimony presented on the first day of her murder trial Monday. Amber Guyger and Officer Martin Rivera were in a sexual relationship at...
Officer Who Shot Man in
His Home Indicted for Murder
Nov 30, 2018 5:03 PM CST
Officer Who Shot Man in His Home Indicted for Murder
Amber Guyger says she thought she was in her apartment
- In September, Amber Guyger, at that time a Dallas police officer, walked into the apartment of Botham Shem Jean and shot the 26-year-old to death . Guyger lived in the same building as Jean and claimed that she thought she was entering her own unit and believed he was an intruder....
He Was Killed in His Own Home
by a Cop. Now, a Lawsuit
Oct 27, 2018 6:00 AM CDT
He Was Killed in His Own Home by a Cop. Now, a Lawsuit
Amber Guyger is 'dangerous individual,' complaint brought by Botham Jean's family says
- The family of a black man who was shot to death in his own apartment by a Dallas cop has brought a lawsuit against both the former police officer and the city of Dallas, the
Dallas Morning News
reports. The complaint filed by the parents and sister of 26-year-old Botham...
Dallas Cop Who Killed
Neighbor Is Fired
Sep 24, 2018 12:56 PM CDT
Dallas Cop Who Killed Neighbor Is Fired
Amber Guyger faces manslaughter charges in death of Botham Jean
- The Dallas police officer who killed a neighbor in a high-profile shooting is out of a job. Dallas police chief U. Renee Hall fired Amber Guyger, 30, during a hearing on Monday, reports Dallas News . Hall cited "adverse conduct." Guyger faces manslaughter charges in the Sept. 6 death...
Cop Says Man Shot in Home
Ignored Her Commands
Sep 11, 2018 7:24 AM CDT
Cop Says Man Shot in Home Ignored Her Commands
Lawyer slams 'self-serving' affidavit
- Amber Guyger, the Dallas police officer arrested for fatally shooting a man after she entered the wrong apartment, says Botham Jean ignored her verbal commands. According to an affidavit released Monday, Guyger told investigators that the door of Botham's apartment was unlocked and slightly ajar and it opened when...
Dallas Cop Charged Days After
Killing Man in Own Apartment
Sep 10, 2018 6:01 AM CDT
Dallas Cop Charged Days After Killing Man in Own Apartment
Amber Guyger faces manslaughter charge
- A Dallas police officer who killed a man in his home after entering the wrong apartment unit was arrested Sunday night—and the man's relatives, whose lawyer said Officer Amber Guyger was receiving favorable treatment , are wondering why it didn't happen sooner. The 30-year-old officer was arrested on...
Grieving Family Asks For Dallas
Cop to Face Charges
Sep 9, 2018 2:45 PM CDT
Grieving Family Asks For Dallas Cop to Face Charges
A rep in the Botham Jean case wants Officer Amber Guyger 'treated like every other citizen'
- The lawyer for the family of a man who was gunned down at his home by a Dallas police officer is calling for her to be arrested and charged, saying the fact that she remains free days after the shooting shows she's receiving favorable treatment. S. Lee Merritt, who...
Officer Opens Wrong Door;
a Tragedy Results
Sep 7, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
Officer Opens Wrong Door; a Tragedy Results
The Dallas officer faces a manslaughter charge
- "Right now, there are more questions than answers." That's what Dallas Police Chief Renee Hall told reporters Friday when updating them about a shooting in which it appears an officer entered the wrong unit in her apartment complex and killed a man who was inside, NBC reports....
Popular on Newser
A Game for the Ages Sparks Call for Rule Change
Palin Tests Positive for COVID, NYT Trial Delayed
A.I. Has Changed Poker, and Maybe Killed Its 'Soul'
Female Tourist Detained After Giving Nazi Salute at Auschwitz
After Another Attack, a New Subway Warning
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.