Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
China Locks Down 1M in Wuhan
Jul 27, 2022 3:18 PM CDT
China Locks Down 1M in Wuhan
'Temporary control measures' brought in after 4 COVID cases detected
- A million people in the first city ever to experience a COVID lockdown have been locked down again. As part of China's zero COVID strategy, restrictions were imposed on Wuhan's Jiangxia district after routine testing detected two asymptomatic cases and contact tracing detected two more, the BBC reports....
Pair of COVID Studies
Land on Same Culprit
Jul 27, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Pair of COVID Studies Land on Same Culprit
One mapped locations of infections, the second analyzed genomic diversity of viruses
- Two peer-reviewed studies published Tuesday in
arrive at the same conclusion: Wuhan's Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market was where the COVID pandemic originated. The
Los Angeles Times
explains that after the lab-leak theory was dismissed last year, scientists pointed out there wasn't a plethora of published data on...
New COVID Studies:
It Wasn't a Lab Leak
Feb 27, 2022 6:55 AM CST
New COVID Studies: It Wasn't a Lab Leak
Instead, they point to Huanan market as the likely source, but matter is far from settled
- Three new studies cast doubt on the notion that COVID originated in a lab leak in China, reports
. Instead, two of the studies suggest it's all but certain that the coronavirus began at the Huanan Seafood Market in Wuhan, China, per CNN . The third is less definitive on...
Harvard Prof Who Concealed
China Ties Could Get 26 Years
Dec 22, 2021 8:13 AM CST
Harvard Prof Who Concealed China Ties Could Get 26 Years
Charles Lieber convicted of 6 counts, including failure to disclose a Chinese bank account
- A Harvard professor was convicted Tuesday of lying about his involvement in a Chinese recruitment program as part of the Justice Department's controversial effort to crackdown on Chinese influence in US research. Jurors convicted nanoscientist Charles Lieber, a former chair of Harvard's chemistry department, of two counts of...
Virologist Says WHO Team
Got First COVID Case Wrong
Nov 19, 2021 9:41 AM CST
Virologist Says WHO Team Got First COVID Case Wrong
After looking at records, interviews Michael Worobey thinks market vendor was first
- An expert in tracing the origins of viral epidemics claims to have identified the very first-known case of COVID-19: in a vendor at the Huanan Seafood Market in Wuhan, China. In a March report , a WHO team that had visited China in January concluded the first-known case appeared in a...
Jailed for COVID Reporting,
Zhang Zhan 'May Not Survive'
Nov 5, 2021 9:48 AM CDT
Jailed for COVID Reporting, Zhang Zhan 'May Not Survive'
Family of Chinese citizen journalist say she's near death behind bars after hunger strike
Hints that things had deteriorated for the Chinese citizen journalist put in prison for reporting on the coronavirus in Wuhan in early 2020 came over the summer . Now, more sobering news: Zhang Zhan's family says she is not far from dying after going on a hunger strike behind...
WHO Wants to
to Its Beginning
Oct 13, 2021 4:14 PM CDT
WHO Wants to Trace Pandemic to Its Beginning
Standing group also will make plans to deal with other outbreaks
- The World Health Organization has tried before to discover the origins of the coronavirus but found no clear answer, at least partly because of a lack of cooperation from China. But the organization launched a second attempt Wednesday by naming a more formal, standing panel of scientists to what it'...
City Where COVID Began
Sees Its First Delta Cases
Aug 3, 2021 7:23 AM CDT
City Where COVID Began Sees Its First Delta Cases
Wuhan, China, plans to test all 11M residents
- The delta variant has emerged in the city where the original virus got its start. As a result, the city of Wuhan, China, plans to test all 11 million residents, reports Reuters . Though the coronavirus was first identified in Wuhan in 2019, the city had reported no new local cases...
China's Response to
WHO Suggestion: No
Jul 22, 2021 1:46 AM CDT
China's Response to WHO Suggestion: No
Senior health official rebuffs WHO's suggestion on probe into COVID-19 origins
- China cannot accept the World Health Organization's plan for the second phase of a study into the origins of COVID-19, a senior Chinese health official said Thursday. Zeng Yixin, the vice minister of the National Health Commission, said he was “rather taken aback" by the call for a...
Fauci to Paul: 'You Do Not Know
What You're Talking About'
Jul 20, 2021 2:10 PM CDT
Fauci to Paul: 'You Do Not Know What You're Talking About'
Both accuse the other of lying in Senate hearing
- A recurring clash between the government's top infectious disease doctor and a senator has erupted again on Capitol Hill, with each accusing the other of lying. Dr. Anthony Fauci angrily confronted Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky in testimony before a Senate committee on Tuesday. Fauci rejected Paul's...
New Data Revive Early
Theory on Pandemic's Origin
Jul 20, 2021 6:37 AM CDT
New Data Revive Early Theory on Pandemic's Origin
Evolutionary biologist Michael Worobey says SARS-CoV-2 likely originated at seafood market
- One of 18 scientists to sign a May letter upping the idea that the novel coronavirus may have leaked from the Wuhan Institute of Virology says new evidence points in another direction: the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market. "I do think transmission from another species, without a lab escape, is...
Wuhan's Only Foreign
Virologist Speaks Out
Jun 30, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
Wuhan's Only Foreign Virologist Speaks Out
Danielle Anderson says 'lab leak' theory unlikely given lab's strict rules
- The only foreign scientist to conduct research at the Wuhan Institute of Virology's BSL-4 lab says people have the wrong impression of it as likely to enable the escape of a deadly virus. The "lab leak" theory on the coronavirus has not been proven, though a report claimed...
Scientist Recovers Deleted
Early COVID Samples
Jun 24, 2021 6:31 AM CDT
Scientist Recovers Deleted Early COVID Samples
Chinese scientists mysteriously removed them from database
- An American researcher says files that could shed more light on the origins of COVID-19 were mysteriously deleted from a database last year. Seattle virologist Jesse Bloom says genetic sequences from more than 200 early COVID cases in Wuhan were submitted to an online database by Chinese researchers in March...
China's 'Bat Lady'
Says COVID Didn't
Leak From Her Lab
Jun 14, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
China's 'Bat Lady' Says COVID Didn't Leak From Her Lab
Shi Zhengli says world is 'pouring filth on an innocent scientist'
- The theory that COVID-19 leaked from a lab in Wuhan has been getting a lot more attention in recent weeks—and so has the lab's most famous virologist. Dr. Shi Zhengli, nicknamed the "Bat Lady" for her work researching bat coronaviruses, has been the focus of much speculation,...
Biden Steps Up
Effort to Trace
May 26, 2021 3:10 PM CDT
Biden Steps Up Effort to Trace COVID's Origin
Criticism of WHO's dismissal of lab theory increases
- Saying Wednesday that the investigations so far have been inconclusive, President Biden gave intelligence agencies 90 days to find the origins of the coronavirus. Biden said he wants the agencies' "most up-to-date analysis of the origins of COVID-19, including whether it emerged from human contact with an infected animal...
Media Does U-Turn
on Wuhan Lab Theory
May 25, 2021 8:23 AM CDT
Media Does U-Turn on Wuhan Lab Theory
The idea that COVID escaped from a Chinese laboratory is now very much in play
- The origins of COVID-19 remain under investigation. But anyone following stories on the topic has likely noticed a big shift in consensus over the last few weeks: The idea that the virus escaped from a lab in China, once generally denounced as a conspiracy theory, is now very much in...
Got Sick in
May 24, 2021 6:35 AM CDT
Staff at Wuhan Lab Got Sick in November 2019
With COVID-like symptoms, though it's not clear what illness they had
- There has long been debate over the origin of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, with the WHO declaring it "extremely unlikely" that the virus leaked from a laboratory. Yet many remain unconvinced by the organization's official conclusion, which is that the virus simply jumped from a bat to...
From Bats to Animal
to Humans: WHO
Mar 29, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
COVID Jumped From Bats to Animal to Humans: WHO
Joint report with China finds that virus likely didn't originate in a lab
- A joint China-World Health Organization study on the origins of COVID-19 says that transmission of the virus from bats to humans through another animal is the most likely scenario and that a lab leak is "extremely unlikely," according to a draft obtained by the AP . The findings offer...
Few Agree With
Redfield on Virus
Origin: 'That's Fine'
Mar 27, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
Few Agree With Redfield on Virus Origin: 'That's Fine'
Ex-director of CDC acknowledges the lab theory isn't backed by evidence
- A former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has circled back to a widely rejected theory about the origins of the coronavirus. Dr. Robert Redfield said he believes the most likely explanation is that the pathogen escaped somehow from a laboratory in Wuhan, China, the
WHO Ends Wuhan
Mission, Pinpoints Likely
Feb 9, 2021 6:42 AM CST
WHO Ends Wuhan Mission, Pinpoints Likely Coronavirus Origins
Experts say it's not likely the virus leaked from a Chinese lab, but jumped from animal to humans
- The coronavirus is unlikely to have leaked from a Chinese lab and is more likely to have jumped to humans from an animal, a World Health Organization expert said Tuesday. WHO food safety and animal diseases expert Peter Ben Embarek made the assessment at the end of a visit to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Fred Savage Accusers: His Eyes Would Go 'Dead'
Trump at State AG Deposition: I Plead the Fifth
A Former President Is Being Deposed Today
Nebraska Mom, Daughter Charged After Teen's Abortion
Secret Service Officer Assaulted Outside White House
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.