Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
China Angry Over T-Shirt
Order by Embassy Staffer
Feb 3, 2021 5:52 PM CST
China Angry Over T-Shirt Order by Embassy Staffer
The incident underscores the sour relation between Canada and China
- China has made a formal complaint to Canada over T-shirts ordered by a Canadian Embassy staffer in Beijing that allegedly mocked China’s response to the coronavirus outbreak, the AP reports, in an apparent mix-up between the city of Wuhan and the American hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan. Foreign Ministry spokesperson...
WHO Team Visits
Wuhan Virus Lab
Feb 3, 2021 4:27 PM CST
WHO Team Visits Wuhan Virus Lab
Institute has been at the center of speculation
- World Health Organization investigators on Wednesday visited a research center in the Chinese city of Wuhan that has been the subject of speculation about the origins of the coronavirus, with one member saying they'd intended to meet key staff and press them on critical issues. The WHO team's...
WHO Team Out
Starts Digging on
Jan 28, 2021 6:11 AM CST
WHO Team Out of Quarantine, Starts Digging on COVID Mystery
Experts are on fact-finding mission in China on the origins of the coronavirus
- A World Health Organization team emerged from quarantine in the Chinese city of Wuhan on Thursday to start field work in a fact-finding mission on the origins of the virus that caused the COVID-19 pandemic. The researchers, who were required to isolate for 14 days after arriving in China, left...
COVID Investigators Arrive
at Suspected Ground Zero
Jan 14, 2021 4:02 AM CST
COVID Investigators Arrive at Suspected Ground Zero
WHO team is trying to find origin of pandemic
- A global team of researchers arrived Thursday in the Chinese city where the coronavirus pandemic was first detected to conduct a politically sensitive investigation into its origins amid uncertainty about whether Beijing might try to prevent embarrassing discoveries. The 10-member team sent to Wuhan by the World Health Organization was...
WHO: China Blocked
Our Team From Wuhan
Jan 6, 2021 8:39 AM CST
WHO: China Blocked Our Team From Wuhan
But Beijing rep says arrangements are still being made
- A team tasked with tracing the origins of the coronavirus in Wuhan has been denied entry into China, according to the World Health Organization. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday he was "very disappointed" that visa clearances had not been issued as "two members had already begun...
Wuhan's Real Total Might
Have Been Much Higher
Dec 29, 2020 1:51 PM CST
Wuhan's Real Total Might Have Been Much Higher
500K might have had the virus, though study suggests containment efforts succeeded
- In April, health officials reported 50,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Wuhan, where the disease was first discovered. New data released Monday suggests the true total in the early days of the pandemic might have been 10 times higher in the city of 11 million people, Bloomberg reports. The study...
China Grants Access to
Team Tracking COVID Source
Dec 16, 2020 4:43 PM CST
China Grants Access to Team Tracking COVID Source
International scientists will start search in Wuhan
- A World Health Organization team investigating the source of COVID-19 will visit Wuhan next month, more than a year after the first cases were detected in the central China city. It has taken many months of negotiations for the international team of scientists to be granted access to the city,...
This Is What
It Looks Like in
Wuhan Right Now
Aug 19, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
This Is What It Looks Like in Wuhan Right Now
City water park hosts pool parties as threat of virus wanes
- To those of us in the midst of a coronavirus outbreak, the photos are staggering. Hundreds of people crammed into a pool. Physical distancing looks basically impossible. But in China, where the spread of COVID-19 has been all but eradicated, this is a good time. Some in Wuhan, the epicenter...
An Unprecedented Campaign
to Test a City in Just 19 Days
Jun 3, 2020 12:42 PM CDT
An Unprecedented Campaign to Test a City in Just 19 Days
Only 300 infections were detected in Wuhan
- The Chinese city of Wuhan, where the coronavirus was first detected late last year, has tested nearly 10 million people in an unprecedented 19-day campaign to check an entire city. It identified just 300 positive cases, all of whom had no symptoms, reports the AP . The city found no infections...
At Virus' Ground Zero,
a '10-Day Battle'
May 12, 2020 7:36 AM CDT
At Virus' Ground Zero, a '10-Day Battle'
New COVID-19 cases in Wuhan, China, to prompt testing for all 11M residents
- Until this weekend, Wuhan hadn't had a new coronavirus case since early April. Now, with six new cases on the books, the Chinese city where the pandemic began is taking steps to prevent a new outbreak, starting with plans to test all 11 million of its residents. The BBC...
Wuhan Ends a Streak
May 10, 2020 8:47 AM CDT
Wuhan Ends a Streak
Epicenter city hadn't reported a new case of coronavirus since April 3
- The Chinese city of Wuhan, ground zero of a global pandemic, ended its lengthy streak of no new cases of coronavirus on Sunday, reporting a new patient for the first time since April 3. The man is in critical condition and being cited as caused by "past community infection,...
Fauci Doesn't Agree With
Pompeo's Theory on Virus
May 5, 2020 9:45 AM CDT
Fauci Doesn't Agree With Pompeo's Theory on Virus
He doesn't think it started in a Chinese lab
- The idea that the coronavirus originated in a Chinese lab is gaining traction in the White House , with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo asserting that "enormous evidence" exists to support the idea. Anthony Fauci, however, isn't one of the believers. In an interview with
, Fauci first...
Accusations Are Flying
Between US and China
May 4, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
Accusations Are Flying Between US and China
White House insists virus originated in Wuhan lab, and Beijing fires back
- Relations between the US and China seem to be getting worse by the day, as Beijing pushes back against renewed White House insistence that the coronavirus originated in a Chinese lab. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is leading the White House charge, and he's taking the brunt of criticism...
Trump: 'Yes, I Have' Seen
Evidence Linking Virus to Lab
May 1, 2020 12:46 AM CDT
Trump: 'Yes, I Have' Seen Evidence Linking Virus to Lab
President gave no further details, however
- Asked outright whether he has seen evidence linking the novel coronavirus to a Wuhan laboratory, President Trump's answer was both succinct ("Yes, I have") and mystifying ("I can’t tell you that. I am not allowed to tell you that," he said later when asked...
Apr 30, 2020 3:55 PM CDT
Intelligence Agencies Issue Rare Statement on Coronavirus
They are investigating origins, but don't think it was manmade
- It's not often that US spy agencies issue a statement telling everyone what they're working on. But given the competing theories about where in Wuhan the coronavirus originated, and a
New York Times
report about the Trump administration pressuring the agencies to investigate one of them, the agencies...
Coronavirus, Caused by
a 'Lab Accident'? Hmmm.
Apr 26, 2020 1:25 PM CDT
Coronavirus, Caused by a 'Lab Accident'? Hmmm.
It's not a popular notion among experts who talk to NPR
- The coronavirus pandemic was almost certainly not triggered by a lab accident, scientists tell NPR —despite concerns to the contrary floating around Washington. "Every time we get a new virus emerging, we have people that say, 'This could have come from a lab,'" says Peter...
Raises Virus Death Toll
Apr 17, 2020 6:22 AM CDT
Wuhan Dramatically Raises Virus Death Toll
Almost 1.3K added to official figures
- At least 50% more people died in China's virus epicenter of Wuhan than previously counted, with state media on Friday attributing the initial undercount to how overwhelmed the health system was when coping with thousands of sick patients. The addition of 1,290 victims raised Wuhan’s death toll...
Trump Comments on
Wuhan Lab Theory
Apr 16, 2020 8:56 AM CDT
Trump Comments on Wuhan Lab Theory
He says US is investigating origin of virus
- President Trump targeted China once again in his coronavirus briefing Wednesday, casting doubt on the country's official death toll and addressing reports the virus may have escaped from a lab in Wuhan. "Do you think you're getting honest numbers from some of these countries?" he said when...
Exodus From Wuhan Begins
Apr 8, 2020 4:29 PM CDT
Exodus From Wuhan Begins
More than 55K left on trains after lockdown was lifted
- For the first time in 11 weeks, people are being allowed to leave the city where the coronavirus pandemic began —and tens of thousands of them rushed to so on Wednesday. Authorities in Wuhan say some 55,000 people left the city by train Wednesday after the lockdown was...
City Where Pandemic Began
Ends 11-Week Lockdown
Apr 7, 2020 4:32 PM CDT
City Where Pandemic Began Ends 11-Week Lockdown
Wuhan residents can now leave city, if smartphone app says it's OK
- The lockdown that served as a model for countries battling the coronavirus around the world has ended after 11 weeks: Chinese authorities are allowing residents of Wuhan to once again travel in and out of the sprawling city where the pandemic began, the AP reports. As of just after midnight...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Fetterman's Latest Swing at Dr. Oz: He's a 'Puppy Killer'
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Auction House Said Vase Was Ordinary. Bidders Disagreed
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.