Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Her Murder Was Preventable
Oct 23, 2020 3:00 AM CDT
University Acknowledges Her Murder Was Preventable
University of Utah will pay Lauren McCluskey's family $13.5M
- In what the
Salt Lake Tribune
is calling a "historic deal," the University of Utah is acknowledging for the first time that student Lauren McCluskey's on-campus murder was preventable. It has settled with her parents for $13.5 million, effectively ending two civil rights lawsuits that had...
Horrific Revelation in Case
of Murdered Utah Student
May 18, 2020 3:00 AM CDT
Horrific Revelation in Case of Murdered Utah Student
A University of Utah cop showed off photos Lauren McCluskey gave police: sources
- The University of Utah student killed by an ex-boyfriend in 2018 tried to get help from police multiple times before her murder—but instead, an officer showed off explicit photos of Lauren McCluskey that the 21-year-old track athlete had entrusted to the department. Two police sources tell the
Dec 28, 2018 11:05 AM CST
Student Repeatedly Sought Cops' Help Before Her Killing
Investigations examine murder of University of Utah student Lauren McCluskey
- In the weeks leading up to her murder, University of Utah student Lauren McCluskey repeatedly asked campus police for help—and ended up calling 911 twice because she was frustrated by their lack of action. The 21-year-old told police she was being harassed and blackmailed by Melvin Rowland, a 37-year-old...
He Killed Her,
He Extorted $1K
Oct 26, 2018 10:50 AM CDT
Cops: Before He Killed Her, He Extorted $1K Over Photos
University of Utah's Lauren McCluskey reported extortion to police 9 days before her slaying
- Lauren McCluskey's killer was a master manipulator who penned messages under various names—even posed as a police officer—in an effort to lure and extort the 21-year-old University of Utah student before her death, according to police. Nine days before she was fatally shot on campus by an...
She Was on the Phone With
Mom, Then, 'No, No, No!'
Oct 23, 2018 2:47 PM CDT
She Was on the Phone With Mom, Then, 'No, No, No!'
Police say University of Utah student Lauren McCluskey was killed by an ex-boyfriend
- The University of Utah is mourning the death of a student-athlete who police say was shot to death by an ex-boyfriend—one she had recently filed a police report about. One of the most wrenching details of the case is that 21-year-old Lauren McCluskey had been on the phone with...
Popular on Newser
Philadelphia Cuts Down Brewery's Entire Hop Crop
Dow Closes at New Low for 2022
Taylor Swift Fans Read Between Lines on NFL News
US Has Been Quietly Warning Russia Not to Go Nuclear
Captain Who Fatally Cut Parasail Line Arrested
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.