Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Report: Metaverse Rife
With Rape, 'Toxic Content'
May 30, 2022 1:19 PM CDT
Report: Metaverse Rife With Rape, 'Toxic Content'
Researchers urge Meta to weigh the potential harms and protect users
- The metaverse is still a work in progress, but it’s already attracting the worst of the internet. Per Business Insider, a researcher's avatar was raped in Meta-owned Horizon Worlds "within an hour after she donned her Oculus virtual-reality headset." It's one of several examples described...
Walmart Is Getting Into
an Unlikely New Sector
Jan 17, 2022 9:35 AM CST
Walmart Is Getting Into an Unlikely New Sector
Retail giant files trademarks suggesting entry into the metaverse, with NFTs and cryptocurrency
- Facebook isn't the only corporate behemoth wading into the metaverse . Now, Walmart appears to be dipping its toes in, filing multiple new trademarks at the end of last year that hint at plans to offer NFTs, a cryptocurrency, and virtual goods to consumers, reports CNBC . Although it's not...
Artist: 'Metaverse' Insta Handle
Blocked After FB Name Change
Dec 14, 2021 9:25 AM CST
Artist: 'Metaverse' Insta Handle Blocked After FB Name Change
Australia's Thea-Mai Baumann used the 'metaverse' handle, then suddenly got blocked
- For nearly a decade, Thea-Mai Baumann, once the owner of an augmented-reality company called Metaverse Makeovers, used the Instagram handle "metaverse" to showcase her creative work. Last month, however, the Australian artist says she suddenly wasn't able to access her Insta, and she suspects Facebook's recent rebranding...
Usage of Collins'
Word of the Year
Nov 24, 2021 12:39 PM CST
Usage of Collins' Word of the Year Jumped 11,000%
Dictionary chooses 'NFT' over 'metaverse'
- We've moved on from "lockdown" to the year of the "NFT." Use of the abbreviation for "nonfungible token" jumped more than 11,000% this year, propelling it to the title of Collins Dictionary's word of the year, per the BBC . NFT—defined by Collins...
Behold, Facebook Is
Building a 'Metaverse'
Oct 19, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Behold, Facebook Is Building a 'Metaverse'
Company touts concept of a massive shared virtual world, but critics have some questions
- In his 1992 sci-fi novel,
, Neal Stephenson mentions a concept called the "Metaverse," a giant, shared virtual world combining augmented reality with virtual reality, where users appear as avatars and access this new world via special goggles. Facebook is now ready to bring that idea to...
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
Congressman-Elect, 25, Denied DC Apartment
Sword Swallower's Act Goes Very, Very Wrong
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.