Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
2 Proud Boys Sentenced,
Express Regret for Capitol Riot
Sep 1, 2023 12:03 AM CDT
2 Proud Boys Sentenced, Express Regret for Capitol Riot
Joseph Biggs gets 17 years, Zachary Rehl 15 years
- A second former leader of the Proud Boys was sentenced on Thursday for his role in the Capitol riot. Zachary Rehl received a 15-year sentence, hours after Joseph Biggs got 17 years. The AP reports that Rehl sobbed as he told US District Judge Timothy Kelly he regretted his actions....
Oath Keepers Leader Gets
18 Years Over Capitol Riot
May 25, 2023 12:28 PM CDT
Oath Keepers Leader Gets 18 Years Over Capitol Riot
Stewart Rhodes was convicted of seditious conspiracy
- Stewart Rhodes, founder of the far-right Oath Keepers group, received an 18-year sentence Thursday for his role in the Capitol riot. As the AP reports, it's the longest sentence to date over the unrest on Jan. 6, 2021. The 58-year-old, who was convicted in January of seditious conspiracy , described...
Jury Finds Four Oath Keepers
Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy
Jan 23, 2023 4:19 PM CST
Jury Finds Four Oath Keepers Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy
Capitol attack trial was split off from that of Rhodes
- A federal jury on Monday convicted four members of the Oath Keepers militia of seditious conspiracy, deciding they'd plotted to use force to keep former President Donald Trump in office. Roberto Minuta, 38; Joseph Hackett, 52; David Moerschel, 45; and Edward Vallejo, 64, also were found guilty of obstructing...
May Have 'Zero'
Effect on DOJ
Dec 20, 2022 6:20 AM CST
Trump Referrals May Have 'Zero' Effect on DOJ
Justice Department is far more interested in the panel's evidence than its opinions
- The Jan. 6 panel took the unprecedented act of making criminal referrals against former President Trump to the Justice Department on Monday. So now what? Some assessments:
The DOJ is under no obligation to charge Trump just because the congressional panel suggested it should. “I think a
Son Speak Out
Nov 30, 2022 7:29 AM CST
Stewart Rhodes' Estranged Wife, Son Speak Out on Conviction
'Beyond happy,' Tasha Adams says; 'so much weight is off now' tweets his son
- Prosecutors with the Justice Department were handed a big win Tuesday with the conviction of Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes on sedition charges, but they're not the only ones celebrating a victory. "I am beyond happy," Tasha Adams, the far-right militia leader's estranged wife, tells Insider...
Oath Keepers Founder
Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy
Nov 29, 2022 4:37 PM CST
Oath Keepers Founder Guilty of Seditious Conspiracy
It's a big win for Jan. 6 prosecutors
- Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes was convicted Tuesday of seditious conspiracy for a violent plot to overturn Joe Biden’s presidential win, handing the Justice Department a major victory in its massive prosecution of the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol. A Washington, DC, jury found Rhodes guilty of...
Prosecutors Scored Some
Wins in Oath Keepers Trial
Oct 21, 2022 12:42 PM CDT
Prosecutors Scored Some Wins in Oath Keepers Trial
In media's view, witnesses gave them some compelling evidence
- Three weeks into an Oath Keepers trial , the prosecution has put forth "its strongest evidence to date" that founder Stewart Rhodes and other members committed seditious conspiracy on Jan. 6, in the
New York Times'
view. The story by Alan Feuer and Zach Montague says former Oath Keeper Jason...
Prosecutor: Group Plotted to
'Shatter Bedrock' of Democracy
Oct 3, 2022 2:06 PM CDT
Prosecutor: Group Plotted to 'Shatter Bedrock' of Democracy
Oath Keepers' seditious conspiracy trial is underway
- The federal courthouse in Washington, DC heard dramatic opening arguments Monday in the most serious Capitol riot case yet—the seditious conspiracy trial against Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes and four of his lieutenants. The right-wing militia members are accused of plotting to prevent Congress' certification of President Biden's...
As Oath Keepers Trial Starts,
a Dicey Defense Strategy
Sep 27, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
As Oath Keepers Trial Starts, a Dicey Defense Strategy
Group leaders, charged with sedition, say they believed they would be following Trump orders
- The highest-profile trial yet out of the Jan. 6 Capitol riot gets underway Tuesday in DC federal court. Stewart Rhodes, founder of the far-right Oath Keepers, and four of his lieutenants are charged with seditious conspiracy—meaning prosecutors say they plotted a violent attack in DC to stop the transfer...
Prosecutors Make a Big Move
in Capitol Riot Case
Jan 13, 2022 1:24 PM CST
Prosecutors Make a Big Move in Capitol Riot Case
First charge of sedition is filed, against Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes
- A big development in the investigation of the Capitol riot: Prosecutors filed their first charge of sedition on Thursday, reports the
New York Times
. Authorities indicted and arrested Stewart Rhodes, the 56-year-old founder of the far-right militia group the Oath Keepers. The charge of seditious conspiracy alleges that Rhodes conspired...
Popular on Newser
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
Boston College Suspends Swimming, Diving Teams
One Republican Comes to Garland's Defense in Hearing
Man Allegedly Killed Neighbor's Son Over Tree Trimming
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.