Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
School Shooting Victim's
Mom Is Running for Mayor
Jul 28, 2023 10:37 AM CDT
School Shooting Victim's Mom Is Running for Mayor
'I will honor your life with action,' says Kimberly Mata-Rubio
- A year and a half ago, a mayoral election in Uvalde wouldn't have been news outside the immediate area—but that was before the Texas city became the site of one of America's deadliest school shootings. Kimberly Mata-Rubio, whose 10-year-old daughter, Lexi, was one of 19 children killed...
Judge Forces Uvalde DPS
to Release Shooting Records
Jun 30, 2023 9:01 AM CDT
Judge Forces Uvalde DPS to Release Shooting Records
Media outlets sued for release of call logs, police footage
- A judge has ordered the Texas Department of Public Safety to release police dashcam videos, recordings of 911 calls, and other records related to the May 2022 mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, which stands out from other recent mass shootings due to its death toll and what...
A Year After Uvalde,
Families Feel 'Betrayal'
May 24, 2023 6:02 AM CDT
A Year After Uvalde, Families Feel 'Betrayal'
Parents are still seeking answers in a Texas city torn by massacre that killed 19 children, 2 teachers
- Wednesday is the one-year anniversary of the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, which left 19 students and two teachers dead. Plans are in the works for a new school to replace the one where the massacre took place, in a different location in the city. "...
Probe Underway After Officer
Confronts Uvalde Victim's Mom
Apr 6, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Probe Underway After Officer Confronts Uvalde Victim's Mom
Ana Rodriguez suffered bruises in altercation now under investigation by Texas DPS
- The Texas Department of Public Safety says it's launched an investigation in response to footage showing an officer violently removing the mother of a Uvalde school shooting victim from her son's elementary school. Ana Rodriguez arrived at Uvalde's Flores Elementary School on Wednesday to check her son...
At Uvalde, Police Response
Wasn't the Only Problem
Dec 20, 2022 11:41 AM CST
At Uvalde, Police Response Wasn't the Only Problem
Medical response was chaotic, uncoordinated, and may have cost lives: report
- The slow response of police to confront the gunman at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, has been well documented. But a new examination of video and audio from the scene, as well as interviews, shows that the medical response that day in May also was mired in chaos and...
Uvalde Aide Accused
of Leaving Door Open Speaks
Oct 25, 2022 12:58 AM CDT
Uvalde Aide Accused of Leaving Door Open Speaks
Emilia Marin says she is suffering mentally, emotionally
- The gunman who killed 19 students and two teachers at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, was initially said to have gotten into the school via a door left propped open by a teacher. The director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, Col. Steven McCraw, who initially made that...
'He Had the Chance to Go in
and Save the Children'
Oct 22, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
'He Had the Chance to Go in and Save the Children'
Juan Maldonado is first Texas state trooper to be fired over his actions during Uvalde mass shooting
- Juan Maldonado was one of the first officers from the Texas Department of Public Safety to arrive on the scene of the Uvalde school shooting in May. Now, he's the first state trooper fired in the aftermath of the massacre that killed 19 students and two teachers, after a...
Grieving Uvalde Dad Gets
Poignant, Unsettling Tattoo
Sep 21, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
Grieving Uvalde Dad Gets Poignant, Unsettling Tattoo
Brett Cross' 10-year-old son was among the students killed
- In July, the
published video from the hallway where police officers waited to confront the gunman who killed 19 children and two teachers at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, on May 24. An editor's note was attached to the video: "The sounds of children screaming...
Uvalde Memorial Park
Shooting Injures 2
Sep 9, 2022 12:31 AM CDT
Uvalde Memorial Park Shooting Injures 2
Shooting believed to be gang-related
- A 16-year-old and a 22-year-old were injured Thursday night in a shooting at Uvalde Memorial Park, an especially hard hit for the community that lost 19 children and two teachers in the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in May. Thursday's shooting was suspected to be gang-related, and anyone...
Uvalde School Police Chief Fired
Aug 24, 2022 10:24 PM CDT
Uvalde School Police Chief Fired
School board terminates Pete Arredondo over botched response to mass shooting
- Exactly three months after the shooting massacre at a Uvalde, Texas, elementary school left 19 children and two teachers dead, the school district fired its police chief. Pete Arredondo, who coordinated the law enforcement response to the mass shooting, had been on administrative leave since June, and in addition to...
Beto Blows Up
Aug 11, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Beto Blows Up at Heckler During Texas Town Hall
O'Rourke blasts 'motherf---er' who laughed as he talked about Uvalde mass shooting
- Beto O'Rourke isn't afraid to get a little salty when taking on the topic of gun violence in the US, and he didn't disappoint on that front this week during a Texas town hall. Speaking Wednesday in front of a crowd gathered in Mineral Wells, the Democratic...
Bo Jackson Stepped Up to
Help Pay for Uvalde Funerals
Jul 22, 2022 4:26 AM CDT
Bo Jackson Stepped Up to Help Pay for Uvalde Funerals
'It’s just not right for parents to bury their kids,' former MLB, NFL player says
- Former sports superstar Bo Jackson helped pay for the funerals of the 19 children and two teachers killed in the Uvalde school massacre in May, revealing himself as one of the previously anonymous donors who covered costs for families after one of the deadliest classroom shootings in US history. Jackson,...
Mayor Calls Paper
'Chicken' for Releasing
Jul 13, 2022 4:28 PM CDT
Mayor Calls Paper 'Chicken' for Releasing Uvalde Footage
Families 'don't need to relive that'
- Uvalde Mayor Don McLaughlin slammed the
and KVUE Tuesday for releasing surveillance video taken inside Robb Elementary School during the May 24 mass shooting. The mayor, speaking during a town council meeting Tuesday night, called the move "one of the most chicken things I've ever seen,...
Jul 12, 2022 5:37 AM CDT
Video From Uvalde School Hallway Shows Police Waiting
It's not clear when video might be released
has viewed a 77-minute surveillance video from the hallway of Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, on the day a gunman massacred 19 students and two teachers,
reports. The footage is not graphic, but offers what
calls "an unabridged view of police...
Officer Had Rifle Aimed
at Gunman as He
Entered Uvalde School
Jul 6, 2022 4:34 PM CDT
Officer Had Rifle Aimed at Gunman as He Entered Uvalde School
Report details 3 missed opportunities to thwart school shooting
- Three major opportunites to thwart the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School were missed and two of them involved police, according to the Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training Center—ALERRT—at Texas State University. The report was commissioned by the Texas Department of Public Safety to examine the much-criticized...
The War of Words
Continues in Uvalde
Jun 22, 2022 7:37 AM CDT
The War of Words Continues in Uvalde
Texas Department of Public Safety head, city mayor air their grievances
- On Tuesday we reported on the head of the Texas Department of Public Safety's forceful, scathing denunciation of the decisions made by local police during the mass shooting in Uvalde. Our story didn't contain one standout piece of information given in testimony before a special state Senate committee...
to Be Buried Side by Side
Jun 8, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Uvalde Sweethearts to Be Buried Side by Side
Annabell Rodriguez, Xavier Lopez would text each other 'I love you,' say their moms
- As toddlers, Annabell Rodriguez and Xavier Lopez played together at a trailer park where Xavier lived alongside Annabell's relatives. When the pair met again on the first day of fourth grade at Robb Elementary in Uvalde, Texas, they had no memory of those playdates, but they liked each other...
At Uvalde City Council
Meeting, a Big No-Show
Jun 8, 2022 6:17 AM CDT
At Uvalde City Council Meeting, a Big No-Show
Embattled school police chief Pete Arredondo, newly elected to council, bailed on his first meeting
- The Texas school district police chief who's been accused of waiting too long to order law enforcement to confront the gunman at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde has said that he'd "eventually" answer questions about the mass shooting that killed 19 students and two teachers last month....
McConaughey: They Had
to Identify Uvalde Victim
From These Shoes
Jun 7, 2022 8:42 PM CDT
McConaughey: They Had to Identify Uvalde Victim From These Shoes
Actor makes emotional speech at White House
- Matthew McConaughey made a surprise appearance at the White House on Tuesday and discussed some of the victims of the school shooting in his hometown, including 10-year-old Maite Rodriguez, who wanted to be a marine biologist. She wore green Converse shoes "with a heart she had hand drawn on...
Surviving Uvalde Teacher
Will 'Never Forgive' Police
Jun 7, 2022 4:51 PM CDT
Surviving Uvalde Teacher Will 'Never Forgive' Police
All 11 children in Arnulfo Reyes' classroom were killed in mass shooting
- A teacher who survived the Uvalde mass shooting says there is "no excuse" for police standing by for 77 minutes while children and teachers were killed. Arnulfo Reyes is hospitalized with gunshot wounds and grieving the two teachers and 19 students who were killed—including all 11 third and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Big Tobacco Made Junk Food Addictive, Too
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
This Time, Senator May Not Survive His Bribery Scandal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.