Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
University of Southern California
Stories 1 - 20 |
She Said NCAA
Nov 23, 2022 8:13 AM CST
She Said NCAA Caused Husband's Death. Jury Disagrees
Jurors rule in favor of sports body, blamed by wife of ex-USC player Matthew Gee for his CTE
- A Los Angeles jury on Tuesday rejected a claim by the widow of a former USC football player who said the NCAA failed to protect him from repeated head trauma that led to his death. Matthew Gee, a linebacker on the 1990 Rose Bowl-winning squad, endured an estimated 6,000...
After USC Adds Safety Rules,
6 Frats Break School Ties
Aug 17, 2022 5:16 PM CDT
After USC Adds Safety Rules, 6 Frats Break School Ties
New policy includes having security guards at parties
- In response to reports of sexual assaults at fraternity events last year and the student protests that followed, the University of Southern California imposed new security policies to take effect for this school year. But six fraternities have now decided to break official ties with the university rather than implement...
'Outrage' After Student
Apr 19, 2022 11:19 AM CDT
'Outrage' After Student Cinematographer Dies
Chapman University mourns the 'brilliant' Peng Wang, killed in rollover crash
- A student cinematographer at Chapman University was killed Friday while riding sand dunes with film students from the University of Southern California, which has only added to concerns about a lack of safety protocols on film sets. The 29-year-old was acting as cinematographer on a USC production, though it's...
USC Sues YouTube Pranksters
Apr 12, 2022 1:40 AM CDT
USC Sues YouTube Pranksters Over 'Panic-Inducing Takeovers'
YouTubers are accused of disrupting multiple classes on California campus
- Two YouTubers have been issued a temporary restraining order to stay away from the University of Southern California campus after they allegedly pranked classes at the Los Angeles school. Ernest "Eric" Kanevsky and Yuguo Bai, who are being sued by USC, most recently disrupted a lecture on the Holocaust...
White Professor on Leave
After Using Chinese Word
Sep 6, 2020 3:10 PM CDT
White Professor on Leave After Using Chinese Word
Greg Patton is no longer teaching his USC course
- A California professor has been replaced for uttering a Chinese word that sounds—in English—like a racist slur, the
reports. Greg Patton was teaching an online communications course for University of Southern California students when he discussed the importance of pausing and using "er" and "...
Lawyers: 'Devastating' New
Evidence in Loughlin Case
Feb 27, 2020 7:40 AM CST
Lawyers: 'Devastating' New Evidence in Loughlin Case
Notes turned over by prosecution prove her innocence, defense team says
- Lawyers for
actress Lori Loughlin and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli, said Wednesday that new evidence shows the couple is innocent of charges that they bribed their daughters' way into the University of Southern California. An attorney for the couple said in a legal filing that prosecutors...
Feb 21, 2020 8:50 AM CST
USC Makes a 'High-Octane' Tuition Move
California private school will waive tuition for families making $80K or less a year
- In what the
Los Angeles Times
calls a "high-octane" effort to open its doors to more middle- and low-income students, the University of South California announced a major initiative Thursday that will get rid of tuition for families earning $80,000 a year or less, starting with new students...
Here's Lori Loughlin's Kid's
Alleged Fake Crew Resume
Feb 10, 2020 5:35 PM CST
Here's Lori Loughlin's Kid's Alleged Fake Crew Resume
Prosecutors release it in response to a filing from Loughlin, Giannulli
- Prosecutors have released the fake crew resume allegedly used by Lori Loughlin and husband Mossimo Giannulli to get their daughter Olivia Jade Giannulli into USC, reports the
, which has the document in full here . Per CNN , it lists Olivia Jade, now 20, as the winner of two gold...
Jan 16, 2020 10:40 AM CST
She Investigated Admissions Fraud While Allegedly Taking Part
Prosecutors share emails between Mossimo Giannulli and scheme mastermind
- An athletic department administrator asked to investigate puzzling recruitment decisions at the University of Southern California a year before the admissions scandal broke was herself taking part in the fraud, according to new court documents. In March 2018, a USC official asked Donna Heinel to look into three students—Lori...
Nov 14, 2019 9:40 AM CST
In College Admissions Brouhaha, the Longest Sentence Yet
Toby MacFarlane gets 6 months behind bars in California
- Felicity Huffman has served her time , Lori Loughlin awaits her own fate, and an ex-California real estate executive has been hit with the longest prison sentence yet in the college admissions scandal . Per NBC News , six months behind bars was the sentence given Wednesday to Toby MacFarlane, 56, who was...
Tainted Drugs Probed
in USC Student Deaths
Nov 14, 2019 8:15 AM CST
Tainted Drugs Probed in USC Student Deaths
Opioid overdose suspected in at least one case
- Tainted drugs may explain some of the nine student deaths at USC this semester. No link has been confirmed yet and autopsies and toxicology tests are pending, but investigators are exploring whether contaminated drugs contributed to some of the deaths of the nine males, reports the
Los Angeles Times
9 Student Deaths Since
August Cause Alarm at USC
Nov 13, 2019 7:16 AM CST
9 Student Deaths Since August Cause Alarm at USC
That's up from 6 deaths in all of last school year
- Shortly after administrators acknowledged a series of deaths at the University of Southern California, another student was found dead. The body of a male student, aged 27 or 28, was found in an apartment off campus Monday afternoon, according to university officials, who sent letters to students and parents on...
Celeb Parents Hit With New
Charge in College Scandal
Oct 23, 2019 3:07 AM CDT
Celeb Parents Hit With New Charge in College Scandal
Lori Loughlin, 9 others charged with bribery
actress Lori Loughlin, her fashion designer husband, and nine other parents faced new federal charges Tuesday in a scandal involving dozens of wealthy parents accused of bribing their children's way into elite universities or cheating on college entrance exams. A grand jury in Boston indicted the parents...
Loughlin Wants to Talk
Prison With Huffman: Report
Oct 22, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Loughlin Wants to Talk Prison With Huffman: Report
Another report says a plea deal may still be on the table for Loughlin
- Despite an alleged $500,000 spent to get them into the University of Southern California, Lori Loughlin's daughters are no longer enrolled at the school. Olivia Jade Giannulli, 20, and Isabella Rose Giannulli, 21, "are not currently enrolled" but "we are unable to provide additional information because...
2nd Parent Gets Prison Time
in College Admissions Scandal
Sep 25, 2019 12:01 AM CDT
2nd Parent Gets Prison Time in College Admissions Scandal
CEO Devin Sloane paid $250K bribe
- A Los Angeles businessman who paid a $250,000 bribe to have his son admitted to the University of Southern California as a water polo recruit is going to prison. Devin Sloane—whose son didn't even know how to play water polo, according to prosecutors—is the second parent...
16 Sexual Assaults
Jun 26, 2019 5:03 PM CDT
Ex-USC Gynecologist Charged With 16 Sexual Assaults
Investigation into George Tyndall's alleged actions is continuing
- A former campus gynecologist at the University of Southern California was charged Wednesday in the sexual assaults of 16 patients at the campus student health center, authorities said. Dr. George Tyndall has been the subject of a Los Angeles police investigation for more than a year after patients claimed sexual...
USC's Own Report
Preyed on Students
May 24, 2019 12:42 PM CDT
USC's Own Report Suggested Gynecologist Preyed on Students
But school did not fire George Tyndall, reports Los Angeles Times
- The University of Southern California didn't fire a campus health clinic gynecologist accused of abusing hundreds of women , even after the school's own team of medical experts found evidence of the crimes as well as signs of "psychopathy." That's according to internal university records obtained...
Lori Loughlin, Husband Want
to See Evidence Against Them
Apr 24, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
Lori Loughlin, Husband Want to See Evidence Against Them
A motion was filed Monday in the case
- The next hearing in the case against 17 parents charged in the sweeping college admissions bribery scandal isn't until June 3, but one tidbit about the case's progress emerged Monday by way of a motion filed by the parents. In it, they're requesting to see the prosecution'...
Dr. Dre Deletes 'Strange Brag'
About His Kid Getting Into USC
Mar 25, 2019 3:31 AM CDT
Dr. Dre Deletes 'Strange Brag' About His Kid Getting Into USC
She got in 'on her own,' says dad who donated $70M
- Dr. Dre is a proud man—his daughter, Truly Young, got into the University of Southern California, and unlike some other celebrity parents , he didn't have to pay somebody to bribe coaches or facilitate cheating on exams. But the hip-hop legend may have gone too far with what Mashable...
'Never' Went to School
Mar 16, 2019 12:56 PM CDT
Loughlin's Daughter 'Never' Went to School
Olivia Jade Giannulli let the remark slip on YouTube
- Already queasy over the college admission scandal? You might want a paper bag. Lori Loughlin's daughter not only said last year she was at the University of Southern California just to party—she joked in 2018 that she was "never" at high school,
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.