Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
College to China Grads:
Don't 'Aim Too High'
Aug 8, 2023 2:58 PM CDT
College to China Grads: Don't 'Aim Too High'
Message to not be picky about work is a reflection of how tough things are there
- It might be one of the most uninspiring messages to new college grads ever conveyed in a commencement speech. "You must not aim too high or be picky about work," declared the president of Chongqing Metropolitan College of Science and Technology in China. "The opportunities are fleeting....
China Tries to Boost Retail
With Post-COVID Online Sale
Jun 19, 2023 6:10 PM CDT
China Tries to Boost Retail With Post-COVID Online Sale
Consumer spending has lagged in a generally slow economy
- Shoppers were treated to deep discounts, new products, and payment plans as online merchants sought to revive their sluggish appetite for spending during China's first major online shopping festival after the end of zero-COVID policies . For the first time, e-commerce retailer JD.com did not release the results of...
CEO's Warning on
Aug 25, 2022 9:14 AM CDT
CEO's Warning on China's Economy Goes Viral
In leaked email, Huawei's founder told employees that tough times lie ahead
- Tough times are ahead for China, the founder and CEO of the country's largest private company warned employees in a memo seen as unusually candid. In the leaked memo, Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei said the technology company needs to make "survival" instead of growth its main focus for...
Zero Cars Were Sold
in Shanghai Last Month
May 17, 2022 3:21 PM CDT
Zero Cars Were Sold in Shanghai Last Month
Lockdown hit city's economy hard
- Shanghai is finally beginning to emerge from a long, harsh lockdown that was initially supposed to last only a few days—but the economic damage will take time to recover from. In what Bloomberg sees as evidence of how strict the lockdown was, not a single car was sold in...
China's Economy Slips
Below a Key Threshold
Mar 31, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
China's Economy Slips Below a Key Threshold
Activity in manufacturing, services contract for first time since February 2020
- The omicron variant of COVID-19 is hitting the world's second-largest economy hard. Amid efforts at containment, China's official Purchasing Managers' Index for the manufacturing sector dropped below 50 on the 100-point scale in March, the National Bureau of Statistics said Thursday, meaning activity contracted after four straight months...
Jobs Go Begging
at Chinese Factories
Aug 25, 2021 7:00 PM CDT
Jobs Go Begging at Chinese Factories
Many migrant employees want something different or are just staying home
- Like workers in the US, much of China's labor force is reconsidering its options, leaving factories across the country with openings. There are parallels to the situation in the US, with many workers shifting to higher-paying jobs, often in the service industry, and many migrants deciding to just stay...
After Virus, China to Pass
US Economy Sooner
Dec 26, 2020 3:00 PM CST
After Virus, China to Pass US Economy Sooner
Nations' handling of the pandemic is the difference, British forecast says
- China is now on track to pass the US five years sooner than previously forecast, becoming the world's largest economy by 2028. The two nations' handling of the pandemic has changed the trajectory, Britain's Center for Economics and Business Research said in an analysis released Saturday. It called...
China Just Had Its Worst
Economic Drop Since 1970s
Apr 17, 2020 1:12 AM CDT
China Just Had Its Worst Economic Drop Since 1970s
World's second-largest economy shrinks 6.8% from a year prior
- China suffered its worst economic contraction since at least the 1970s in the first quarter as it fought the coronavirus, and weak consumer spending and factory activity point to a longer, harder recovery than initially expected. The world’s second-largest economy shrank 6.8% from a year ago in the...
China's Growth Slumps
Amid Trade War With US
Jul 15, 2019 12:03 AM CDT
China's Growth Slumps Amid Trade War With US
It's now at its lowest level in at least 26 years
- Chin a's economic growth sank to its lowest level in at least 26 years in the quarter ending in June, adding to pressure on Chinese leaders as they fight a tariff war with Washington . The world's second-largest economy grew 6.2% over a year ago, down from the...
China's Growth Slumps
to Lowest Since 1990
Jan 21, 2019 7:10 AM CST
China's Growth Slumps to Lowest Since 1990
Slowdown could hit world economy
- "When China sneezes, the world catches a cold," according to one version of the old saying—and the country's economy appears to have at least a mild case of the sniffles. According to the latest figures from Beijing, China's economy grew by 6.6% last year,...
Apple Shares Dive
After CEO's Bad News
Jan 3, 2019 6:45 AM CST
Apple Shares Dive After CEO's Bad News
'This is Apple's darkest day during the Cook era'
- Apple shares are in store for a bruising after CEO Tim Cook's warning to shareholders on Wednesday. The share price dived 8% in after-hours trading and is now down by a third from its October peak. The price is expected to plunge further on Thursday, bringing other tech stocks...
China Stops Trading
After Stocks Nosedive
Jan 7, 2016 5:54 AM CST
China Stops Trading After Stocks Nosedive
Experts say the 'Great Fall of China' has recommenced
- Chinese stocks nosedived Thursday, triggering their second daylong trading halt this week and sending share markets, Asian currencies, and oil prices lower as investor jitters rippled across the globe. The benchmark Shanghai Composite Index tumbled 7.3% before "circuit breakers" suspended trading for the day. The Shenzhen Composite Index...
China Now Has More
Billionaires Than US
Oct 15, 2015 5:11 AM CDT
China Now Has More Billionaires Than US
They've had their best year ever despite shaky economy
- China has passed the United States in the number of billionaires it boasts, driven by the rise of fortunes in technology and manufacturing, according to a survey released Thursday. Despite a cooling economy, the number of Chinese billionaires rose by 242 this year to 596, according to the Hurun Report,...
China's 'Black Monday'
Shakes World Economy
Aug 24, 2015 6:42 AM CDT
China's 'Black Monday' Shakes World Economy
World markets very worried after worst fall in 8 years
- If the world economy could think, it would probably be wishing it had stayed in bed today. In what even Beijing's government mouthpiece is calling "Black Monday," China's stock market plunged almost 9% today in its biggest one-day drop since early 2007, wiping out all this...
China Growth Slumps
to 20-Year Low
Jul 15, 2013 3:06 AM CDT
China Growth Slumps to 20-Year Low
Slowdown sends ripples through world economy
- After two decades of growing at an astonishing rate, China's economic growth has cooled off enough to cause problems in plenty of other economies. Figures released today show the economy grew 7.5% in the first quarter of this year, a rate many countries can only dream of but...
In China, Billionaires
Fall on Hard Times
Sep 25, 2012 9:56 AM CDT
In China, Billionaires Fall on Hard Times
Number of billionaires drops for first time in 7 years
- Chinese wealth is suffering, according to an annual report that tracks it. The Hurun Rich List finds that, for the first time in seven years, the number of billionaires (in US dollars) in the country has fallen; it's now down by 20 people from last year, to a total...
Is China Hiding
Mother of All
Sep 9, 2012 8:00 AM CDT
Is China Hiding Mother of All Debt Bombs?
Loose credit, economic stimuli dangerously over-leveraged China
- With China's factory production slowing to "just" 8.9% year-over-year in August, down from 9.2% in July, economists there are calling for a stimulus to keep the behemoth economy on track, notes the AP . But that could just fuel a bigger economic disaster, as China's economy...
Slumps to 3-Year Low
Jul 13, 2012 3:00 AM CDT
China's Growth Slumps to 3-Year Low
Slowdown is deepest since financial crisis
- Hopes that a booming Chinese economy might give the moribund West a boost have taken a hit with the release of figures showing the country's growth is at its slowest since the financial crisis. The Chinese economy has slowed for the sixth quarter in a row, with last quarter'...
Premier to Chinese: Get Ready to Buy, Buy, Buy
Mar 5, 2012 4:35 AM CST
Premier to Chinese: Get Ready to Buy, Buy, Buy
Consumer spending is what China needs now: Wen Jiabao
- China's premier today called on his countrymen to spend big to boost the national economy because international markets aren't up to the job. "Expanding domestic demand, particularly consumer demand, is essential to ensuring China's long-term, robust economic development, and is the focus of our economic work...
Foxconn Caves to
Pressure, Ups Wages
Feb 20, 2012 11:24 AM CST
Foxconn Caves to Pressure, Ups Wages
Apple supplier works to improve conditions following consumer outcry
- Foxconn will bump workers' salaries by as much as 25% while decreasing the amount of overtime demanded of them, the company announced this weekend, in a bid to stem the tide of outrage against it and high-profile customers such as Apple, Hewlett-Packard, and Dell. The move is a victory for...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.