Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Up a Storm on
Jan 14, 2023 10:00 AM CST
Records Show Bolsonaro Charged Up a Storm on Corporate Card
Newly released credit card bills for Brazil's ex-leader show he really seems to love ice cream
- While Jair Bolsonaro is living his new best life in the Sunshine State, news has emerged that shows he appears to have lived his old best life on the Brazilian government's dime. His official credit card expenditures while he was president of the South American nation were released Friday,...
Household Debt Just Had Its
Biggest Increase Since 2007
Nov 16, 2022 2:23 PM CST
Household Debt Just Had Its Biggest Increase Since 2007
Researchers say credit card, mortgage balances are rising sharply
- During the early days of the pandemic, consumers weren't breaking out their credit cards. Those days are behind us. Household debt is now surging, with credit card balances seeing their biggest rise in more than 20 years in the third quarter of this year, researchers say. The Federal Reserve...
Aug 18, 2021 12:46 AM CDT
Mastercard Users, Say Goodbye to the Magnetic Stripe
Card issuer is doing away with them entirely by 2033
- The magnetic strip will soon be a thing of the past for Mastercard users. The card company plans to do away with the strips on all of the credit and debit cards it issues by 2029, and the cards will have been completely phased out by 2033. New cards will...
Credit Card Company, Canada
Respond to Pornhub Claims
Dec 6, 2020 3:26 PM CST
Credit Card Company, Canada Respond to Pornhub Claims
The move comes after a scathing 'New York Times' column
- Looks like Mastercard isn't just letting the Pornhub allegations slide. Days after
New York Times
columnist Nicholas Kristof leveled accusations against the adult website—citing its alleged revenge pornography, child abuse, and footage of women being asphyxiated—Mastercard says it is investigating, Reuters reports. "If the claims are...
His Profane Tweets About
the Apple Card Went Viral
Nov 11, 2019 12:10 PM CST
His Profane Tweets About the Apple Card Went Viral
And are leading to a probe of Goldman Sachs' credit card practices
- David Heinemeier Hansson says his wife has the superior credit score. They file their taxes jointly. And while the tech entrepreneur didn't provide any other personal financial information, he did disclose an alleged financial injustice on Thursday. In a series of tweets that have continued through Monday, the Ruby...
Noticed His Good
Deed. They Did
in case you missed it
Oct 12, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
Cashier Didn't Think Anyone Noticed His Good Deed. They Did
David Vance quietly paid for elderly man's groceries out of his own pocket after the customer's credit card kept getting declined
- David Vance tried to pull off a subtle act of kindness for someone in financial straits last month, but someone noticed, posted about it online, and now the grocery store cashier in Northern Ireland is being hailed around the world. Vance, who works at a Lidl in Belfast, was working...
His Alleged Method
of Stealing 1.3K
Credit Cards Is
Sep 10, 2019 9:04 AM CDT
His Alleged Method of Stealing 1.3K Credit Cards Is Incredible
Yusuke Taniguchi memorized names, numbers on cards that passed through his register
- While the rest of us struggle to remember what we had for lunch yesterday, Yusuke Taniguchi apparently has a much easier time with recall. Gizmodo reports that the 34-year-old part-time mall clerk in Koto City, Japan, was allegedly able to steal more than 1,300 credit cards from his customers—...
The Apple Card Is Here
Aug 6, 2019 12:05 PM CDT
The Apple Card Is Here
Apple's credit card debuts
- Hundreds of thousands of people signed up to be the first to hear when Apple would release its first credit card. Five months later that card is out, but it's not yet available to all. A limited number of those people were randomly selected by the company to get...
Online Bragging Led to
Alleged Capital One Hacker
Jul 30, 2019 6:11 AM CDT
Online Bragging Led to Alleged Capital One Hacker
User named 'erratic' has been writing about the data
- It's one of the biggest-ever data breaches of a bank—and an arrest has been made. That might be of little solace to the 106 million Capital One credit card customers and applicants who had their data stolen in late March. Paige Thompson, 33, was arrested Monday in Seattle....
10,000% Tip May Not
Have Been as Kind
as Waitress Thought
Jul 4, 2019 8:30 AM CDT
10,000% Tip May Not Have Been as Kind as Waitress Thought
Cops say it was an act of revenge on woman's boyfriend
- A woman dined at a Florida restaurant last week, leaving a 10,000% tip on a $55.37 breakfast bill. But what her waitress interpreted as a kind gesture after the death of her dog, per WFTS , was actually far from it.
reports that Serina Wolfe and boyfriend...
Its Name From Its Logo
Jan 7, 2019 7:06 PM CST
Mastercard Drops Its Name From Its Logo
New logo will feature just those two interlocking circles
- What's in a name? For Mastercard, not enough to keep it in the logo. The company is removing the word Mastercard from the pair of interlocking red and yellow circles where it has resided for more than 50 years, the AP reports. Mastercard Inc. joins a small stable of...
Cops: He Stole Her Credit Card,
Picked Wrong Place to Use It
in case you missed it
Jun 30, 2018 12:50 PM CDT
Cops: He Stole Her Credit Card, Picked Wrong Place to Use It
Shamon West allegedly tried to pay his bill using his waitress' own card
- The Arkansas waitress ended up getting a good tip from the table, but one of a different sort. Flora Lunsford, 58, was working a Tuesday morning shift at Shannon's Restaurant in Pine Bluff when she went to process a customer's payment, reports KATV . Thing is, the credit card...
She Used Her Parents' Card
to Rent a Party House.
It Did Not End Well
Mar 13, 2018 6:13 AM CDT
She Used Her Parents' Card to Rent a Party House. It Did Not End Well
Parents agree to pay $20K for repairs
- A party that left a house in West Vancouver, Canada, trashed should serve as a lesson to teenagers, parents, and people who rent out homes online, police say. Authorities say a 14-year-old girl used her parents' credit card—without their permission—to rent out a luxury home for the March...
He's 4 Years Old
Feb 3, 2018 7:33 AM CST
Kevin Barnaby's Credit Stinks. He's 4 Years Old
BuzzFeed looks at the hazy and thorny issue of child identity theft
- Like a lot of Americans, Kevin Barnaby Jr.'s credit is messed up. The difference in his case is that he's a 4-year-old with two Capital One credit card accounts. Writing for BuzzFeed , Leticia Miranda uses his story as a launchpad from which to dive into the hazy...
Teen Runs Up
$7.6K Bill Playing Xbox
Jan 12, 2016 4:48 PM CST
Teen Runs Up $7.6K Bill Playing Xbox
He's claiming ignorance over Dad's credit card bill
- A Canadian kid is in deep poutine after charging more than $7,600 onto his father's credit card while playing a FIFA video game on his Xbox, the CBC reports. Lance Perkins says he was "floored" when he got the bill Dec. 23. Perkins' 17-year-old son told him...
There's a Man Who
Has 1,497 Credit Cards
Jan 9, 2016 2:35 PM CST
There's a Man Who Has 1,497 Credit Cards
Walter Cavanagh holds world record for most valid credit cards
- Walter Cavanagh of Santa Clara, Calif., holds the
Guinness Book of World Records
title of " Mr. Plastic Fantastic ," and
revisited his story earlier this week. As it recounts, Cavanagh has 1,497 valid credit cards, adding up to $1.7 million in available credit. The wild stats...
How You Use Credit Cards
Changes This Week
Sep 29, 2015 5:21 AM CDT
How You Use Credit Cards Changes This Week
Retailers will be liable for fraud if they don't adopt chip system
- Credit card purchases are about to get a little slower and a lot more secure. Consumers have been receiving new cards with fraud-prevention chips and on Thursday, a lot more retailers will be asking customers to put their card in a reader instead of swiping it, reports the
Why the President's
Credit Card Got Declined
Oct 17, 2014 2:13 PM CDT
Why the President's Credit Card Got Declined
Seems he doesn't use it enough
- Even the leader of the free world sometimes has his credit card declined. As Obama explained today while signing an executive order protecting consumers from identity theft, he was at a New York restaurant during the UN general assembly when "my credit card was rejected," he said. "...
in Latest Hack
Oct 11, 2014 4:09 PM CDT
Kmart Payment Data Breached in Latest Hack
Customer credit card information at risk: company
- If you've shopped at a Kmart store in recent weeks, it may be time to check your credit card records: The company is the latest retailer to fall victim to hackers, it says. Hackers apparently got into Kmart's systems in early September; some credit and debit card numbers...
Guy Can't Pay Bill,
Capital One Sends
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 3, 2014 8:52 AM CDT
Guy Can't Pay Bill, Capital One Sends New Keyboard
MaskedKoala's number 2 key was ruined by orange juice
- It’s a problem for the Internet era—the wonky keyboard key. For one Redditor and Capital One customer, his wonky key was the number 2 … which is part of his credit card account number. Also unable to copy and paste the required 2 in the account field online,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
One Line Explained Feinstein's Role in Gay Rights
NYC Local: 'Never Seen Anything Like This in My Life'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.